Winter Olympics, Feb. 2014 Marina

RJB

Does anyone know if we will be able to get a T. V. feed of the Olympics? We will be on Marina for most of the month and would be quite sad if we could not watch at least some of the Olympics. Did not realize when we signed up that this trip was the same time. Might have changed dates. Too late now. Hope that O can get this done. I am sure that a good many of us would like to watch when we get a chance. :)

Does anyone know if we will be able to get a T. V. feed of the Olympics? We will be on Marina for most of the month and would be quite sad if we could not watch at least some of the Olympics. Did not realize when we signed up that this trip was the same time. Might have changed dates. Too late now. Hope that O can get this done. I am sure that a good many of us would like to watch when we get a chance. :)

World Cup soccer was shown when we were on Black Sea cruise. So I would certainly expect the Olympics. Good Luck.

It really would be nice if someone from Oceania could assure us that we will get at least some of the Olympics. When we were on board Marina in May/June the only problem we had was the T.V. service. No network broadcasts and just a few cable stations. A lot of old movies. It is the one thing I think needs to be upgraded. Lets hope for the best. :)

Before the Russians will allow the Olympics to be broadcast to the ship they will want to make sure no one on board is gay!

Maybe they should move the Olympics somewhere else and then the Russians would not have a problem. They could just stay home.

I sailed with Oceania 4 years ago during the Olympics. The Olympics were shown if the ship was able to pick up a satellite signal of a station showing the Olympics. Most of the time they were able to locate a suitable signal, but sometimes no one with me understood the language used during the broadcast.

We were in the Caribbean in February of this year and no Super Bowl telecast. Very, very disappointing.

Too bad. I hope that we will not have the same for the Olympics. I do think that Oceania has to pay for the feed and I hope they will. Makes for a lot of happy passengers. :)

Isn't it NBC who covers the Olympics?

They pay billions of dollars for the T.V. rights, and I think only the NBC stations can carry it.

Is NBC one of the channels on-board? That would be the first question.

Or, they could pick up another countries "feed" possibly.

I was on Oceania Riviera in May, and never once turned on the t.v., so I have no idea what channels they have...

Isn't it NBC who covers the Olympics?

They pay billions of dollars for the T.V. rights, and I think only the NBC stations can carry it.

Is NBC one of the channels on-board? That would be the first question.

Or, they could pick up another countries "feed" possibly.

I was on Oceania Riviera in May, and never once turned on the t.v., so I have no idea what channels they have...

On our May/June cruise on Marina there was no network TV. We will look at the TV when we are in the cabin and sometimes during sea days. The normal programs are not so important but the special events like the Olympics or Super Bowl should be carried. :)

On our May/June cruise on Marina there was no network TV. We will look at the TV when we are in the cabin and sometimes during sea days. The normal programs are not so important but the special events like the Olympics or Super Bowl should be carried. :)

My knee jerk reaction is that there are far better things that Oceania could do with their time, effort and entertainment budget than to provide filler for (in your own words) "when we are in the cabin and sometimes during sea days".

If you had written this Post twenty years ago, I might have been inclined to agree with you, but today, thanks to Youtube, you'll be able to revisit every exciting moment of the Olympics, or any other significant current event, from five minutes after it happens until you lose interest.

I have absolutely no objection to such events being available on say, a pay per view basis, but for many of us, the television is barely turned on during a cruise.

My knee jerk reaction is that there are far better things that Oceania could do with their time, effort and entertainment budget than to provide filler for (in your own words) "when we are in the cabin and sometimes during sea days".

If you had written this Post twenty years ago, I might have been inclined to agree with you, but today, thanks to Youtube, you'll be able to revisit every exciting moment of the Olympics, or any other significant current event, from five minutes after it happens until you lose interest.

I have absolutely no objection to such events being available on say, a pay per view basis, but for many of us, the television is barely turned on during a cruise.

My knee jerk reaction is that you have got it wrong. I think that most of us do want to see a special event like the Olympics live. That is why NBC has to pay many hundreds of millions of dollars to carry it. As to the entertainment budget for O there does not seem to be much in it on most of their cruises. They could spend a few dollars and carry an event that many of us want to see. :D

My knee jerk reaction is that you have got it wrong. I think that most of us do want to see a special event like the Olympics live. That is why NBC has to pay many hundreds of millions of dollars to carry it. As to the entertainment budget for O there does not seem to be much in it on most of their cruises. They could spend a few dollars and carry an event that many of us want to see. :D

I for one could care less

Put the money on some decent entertainers

I for one could care less

Put the money on some decent entertainers

I respect your opinion but do you really think if Oceania does not carry the Olympics that they will put any more money into their regular entertaniment? Not a chance. We plan on having a great time on our cruise either way.

I respect your opinion but do you really think if Oceania does not carry the Olympics that they will put any more money into their regular entertaniment? Not a chance. We plan on having a great time on our cruise either way.

Never said they would just wishful thinking just like those that want sporting events & Olympics ;)

Never say never

They use to have some very good performers that we enjoyed last cruise we did not go to many of the shows

Lyn

Never said they would just wishful thinking just like those that want sporting events & Olympics ;)

Never say never

They use to have some very good performers that we enjoyed last cruise we did not go to many of the shows

Lyn

Last cruise we also did not go to many shows. It is one of the few things that needs to be upgraded. But part of life is some wishful thinking, whatever we wish for. With a little luck you will get what you want and we will get what we want. Everyone should be happy. :):):)

Archived