What is the movement like on the Sun?

Calm Blue Ocean

We just returned from a 7 day western Caribbean aboard the Freedom of the Seas and found it to be a bit rocky, even in calm seas. The Carnival Dream wasn't like this when we sailed here a year ago- even with Hurricane Isaac following us.

My question is, because the Sun is much smaller, is there much effect from the movement of the Sea? Or is it hit or miss?

Thanks.

Typically, the smaller the ship, the more motion in the same sea conditions/ship speed, but the design of the ship does also matter. Newer ships with more decks tend to be a bit more "top heavy" than the older, smaller ships, and this can make them more likely to have side to side motion that travels further (more tilt) than older ships, if the stabilizers are not activated.

When you say "rock" , is this just a general use or are you talking about side to side motion? If the latter, the ships do have stabilizers that help reduce that motion significantly. However, they need to be activated and the ship needs to have some significant forward motion to make them work.

The other main motion is pitching, with the bow going up and then down and this motion being transmitted the length of the ship. The more forward you are, the more noticable this motion becomes because you are travelling further vertically. (picture being on the end of a teeter-totter vs in the middle.)

Where and when are you going?

We leave in March for an 11 day Southern Caribbean.

10/11/14 Panama Canal. My 2 previous Sun cruises were 14 and 11 nights. This one's 15. My home away from home :)

We just returned from a 7 day western Caribbean aboard the Freedom of the Seas and found it to be a bit rocky, even in calm seas. The Carnival Dream wasn't like this when we sailed here a year ago- even with Hurricane Isaac following us.

My question is, because the Sun is much smaller, is there much effect from the movement of the Sea? Or is it hit or miss?

Thanks.

I have always felt prone to sea sickness and had bought the sea bands and bonine but never did need them :)

Have cruised two eastbound 15 day TA crossings on the Sun. First time we had a large size deck 9 inside cabin that was mid-aft. Second trip we had a far forward OV cabin on deck 6. Very little ocean movement on either April crossing, but we are at almost 50 cruises and still counting so ocean movement does not affect either of us much.

Thanks.

I'm prone to motion sickness and it only affected me when we got to 4 to 7.5 foot seas. Even then the patch took care of it.

Have cruised to Alaska on the Sun, deck 10, aft. The inside passage was relatively calm and the ship felt like we were riding on a cloud. Only time I really noticed any movement was in the pool I could see the water level slowly move from right to left and back. Couldn't feel it, just observed the water level change a few inches every minute or so.

Maybe it was just the good weather, but the Sun was rock solid.

Archived