Booking Guarantee Balconies on Last Minute Cruise on Allure

Hi: I am planning to book a last minute cruise on the Allure for the November 3rd sailing. I have a few questions I hope someone can enlighten me. It seems that this sailing isn't one that sells out, but I could be wrong so don't want to leave it too long.

I have never booked a guarantee balcony. Am a wrong in assuming the closer you book to the cruise the better chance of an upgrade because those balconies aren't taken yet? My booking a guarantee balcony is not specifically looking for an upgrade. I have read so many posts about balconies and everyone likes a different area and I can't choose so I thought I would live on the wild side and let Royal pick for me! lol. I am looking for an ocean view balcony.

Also what is the closest time to be safe that I will get an ocean view balcony. Plane flight is not an issue and neither are the post and pre cruise hotels. I have booked them already. Yup, I am living dangerously!!

Thank you for your input and I know I have asked the question before about the booking close to sailing, but now it is a reality.

There's really no way to tell if you'll get an upgrade. If you're D, D+ or P you may have a better chance. We're D+ and did a balcony guarantee on Allure last minute in June. We were initially assigned an E-2, but the night before the cruise were upgraded to a JS. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that we were supposed to be sailing that week on Grandeur, but had the cruise cancelled because of the fire.

I wouldn't try a guess on how long to wait to be sure you'd get a balcony.

Thank you for your reply!! If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "if you're a D, D+ or a P? Thanks again.

Those are levels in the loyalty society called Crown & Anchor, the more cruises, the higher level. Basically the poster meant that the chance of upgrade is greater the more cruises you have had with Royal.

There are many types of balconies on Allure, and I can understand the difficulty selecting one. Sometimes one is able to get a better price by booking a guarantee. If one gets a better price and is entirely flexible, go for the guarantee.

There are two categories of guaranteed balconies on Allure. Category X promises you an oceanfront balcony (and is usually pricier). Category NX (or maybe I reversed that and it is XN) promises you at least a neighborhood balcony (so a view of either central park or boardwalk from your balcony is likely) though you could get an oceanfront balcony. Have you read about the neighborhood balconies and, if so, how do you feel about the neighborhood balconies?

We have played the guarantee game several times [but never on Allure or Oasis] and always have been pleased with the results. However, the best advice I can give you is go into it with the idea you will be happy with the lowest category cabin in the guarantee. In other words, don't book the category that includes neighborhood balconies if you will be disappointed with a neighborhood balcony. We have only used guarantees as a money saving ploy and the small upgrades we have gotten have been a bonus [got a D instead of an E on Independence].

Enjoy your cruise.

Are guarantee choices always available?

No, in fact guarantees don't happen all that often. Also, a sailing might have a guarantee in one category but not others. It all depends on how the cruise is selling.

We have played the guarantee game several times [but never on Allure or Oasis] and always have been pleased with the results. However, the best advice I can give you is go into it with the idea you will be happy with the lowest category cabin in the guarantee. In other words, don't book the category that includes neighborhood balconies if you will be disappointed with a neighborhood balcony. We have only used guarantees as a money saving ploy and the small upgrades we have gotten have been a bonus [got a D instead of an E on Independence].

Enjoy your cruise.

I booked a Balcony guarantee on my Allure Oct sailing, and got the exact lowest balcony category I could possibly get (A D8).

It is fine with me since all D's are the same except for D1 which has the bigger balcony, but it would have been nice to get at least a D4 or something like that!

we don't sail till jan. on allure and booked an oceanfront guarantee at a great price plus perks... got a cabin that I would have even chosen myself.. on deck 10 almost center... the only thing better would have been if they had given us a JS.. :) but we saved 400 pp by booking the guarantee

As far as upgrades, I booked a Suite Guarantee on the Allure, got a JS and was pleased as punch as I was able to move into one of the larger balcony ones. My parents booked a D8 (cheaper) and were upgraded to a JS. We are Diamond Plus and they are Diamond, go figure!

As far as the Allure & Oasis I have noticed a bunch of different types of guarantees closer to sailing. Just wish I lived near Florida! Take note that a guarantee isn't always cheaper then booking an actual cabin.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived