Dover to London Gatwick

We will be returning on Constellation to Dover next June 17, 2006. Does anyone know if I could make a 3:45 PM flight out of Gatwick? I know it's a couple of hours from Dover to London, but how early should I plan on disembarking? Will there be traffic delays getting into Gatwick? Security delays beyond the normal? Seems to me that I should be able to get to Gatwick by 1:45 which would be two solid hours before flight time. Any thoughts?

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

When I returned to Dover from my Baltic trip in 2001, I had a 1:45 PM flight and I made it with hours to spare. I bought the ship's transfer (NCL) and was off by 9 AM or so. I was at the airport by 11 AM. As long as you have dependable transportation from the port, you should be fine.

You should be able to make a flight from Gatwick - Gatwick is easier to get to , in that there is less traffic around there, thatn Heathrow. Max driving time from the ship would be about 90 mins. X are doing our internal flights and I think they have us on a 3pm flight

Scott,

We just returned from the July 2 Constellation and people began getting off the ship as early as 6:50am. During the cruise they will ask for your return flight info and will assign departure times based on the information given to them. We had a 2:50pm flight out of Heathrow, left the ship at 9:oo and made it to Heathrow by 11:30 with a 15 stop.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Boo

I am looking for transfer companies. I think we will probably be alone as everyone seems to be taking Cel. air. If I had to pay, I wuld too with the transfers thrown in..it is a good deal. I might just take the transfers if I cannot find a more economical way!

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the 8/13 Baltic cruise on the Constellation. Since we had 4:30 flights from Heathrow, we opted for early debarkation and an optional tour to Windsor on our way to Heathrow. We were off the ship by 7:45 and had a delilghtful two and a half hours to explore Windsor before we got back on the bus. There was a major accident of the motorway, so our dirver had to circle around London to get us to the airport. We were at Heathrow by 1:45, with plenty of time to check in, have a snack and do some last minute tax exempt shopping.

There was serious concern about the accident and the shut down of two motorways for most of the afternoon. I was glad we booked air and the transfer through Celebrity....just in case. However, our bus driver and tour guide were able to take us through some villages and along back roads to get around the grid-lock.

Anyone with 3:PM or later flight can sign up for an optional tour with airport transfer.

Darcy

We flew Boston to London for a 5-day precruise as arranged through Celebrity. Left Boston at 7:35 PM and arrived at Heathrow at 6:30 Tuesday morning. No problem clearing, claimed luggage and as we exited the secure area, a Celebrity representative was waiting for us. I expected others or at least some wait time, but was told a private van was ready to take us to the Melia White House, a very nice hotel near Regent's Park. We arrived at the hotel about 8:30 AM, and our tour guide, Kas, told us our rooms were ready! Great, with the time difference, we needed some sleep. After a few hours rest, we had a late lunch at the hotel and went to explore the area on our own. In the eveing, we met with others on the pre-cruise tour - 13 of us in total - had a drink at the hotel's lounge and then to bed.

The hotel package included buffet breakfast - excellent selection and quality. We went for a half day tour of London, but like others on the bus, decided to get dropped off in various parts of London to take in the sights. The following day, we went by train to York for an overnight stay in a lovely hotel and thoroughly enjoyed Yorkminster and the quaint shops. Great lunch of fish and chips at the Punch Bowl - a pub going back some 600+ years. The following day, we took the train back to London and our original hotel. In the evening, we had another city tour and had dinner at Cheshire Cheese Pub.

On Saturday, we took the bus to Dover. Check-in was quick, though security was a bit slow. Got to our room, great pictures of the White Cliffs from the balcony, buffet lunch, confirmed dinner reservations at Ocean Liners for later in the cruise. Pre-paid shore excursion tickets were in the stateroom. Great cabin steward; in fact, DH said that in 78 cruises, Menino was by far the best.

First night on the ship, we went to late seating, thought we may be alone, BUT a family showed up to join us. Somebody goofed. They were from Spain, spoke no English, and DH & I both had HS French, though I also speak some German, Russian and Lithuanian. When the son took out his cell phone and started taking pictures to share with his friends, I knew I needed to see the Maitre D. The following evening, we were seated with two delighful couples from the UK.

First port - Copenhagen. We took the shuttle to the city's center, and attempted to follow the map provided to find the shopping area, but got lost. Ran into a few others who had the same problem. Went back to the ship, had a snack and did the Palaces, Gardens & Chocolate tour. It was a bit rushed, but ended on a positive note with a row boat trip on a waterway near a palace. Chocolate? Well, two pieces each from a plastic bag isn't what I expected and reported this to the Shore Excursion Office.

Second port - Warnemunde. Took a full day bus trip to Lubeck, a Hanseatic City and Schwerin Castle. This included a traditional lunch at an historical seafarer's restaurant. The bus trip was a bit boring and long, but we did get to see the country side, and sleep a bit due to the time change two night's in a row. Lubeck is a great place to shop, with the best candy store in Germany. The Castle was beautiful; had a snack & beverage in the glass enclosed orangery of the castle. We were very impressed by the number of turbine wind mills that supply some 25-35% of the country's power.

Third port - Stockholm. Again, took the complimentary bus into town, walked through the cobblestone streets looking at boutiques and shops. Saw the changing of the guard ceremony at the palace, then took the bus back to the ship. In the afternoon, Mom & I took a boat trip along the canals while DH enjoyed a visit to the Ice Bar. It takes a few hours to get to open seas after leaving Stockholm, so we sat on the balcony watching ships pass by as the sun set.

Fourth port - Helsinki. We were off the ship by 9:15 for a full day trip. First stop was an old church, then a ride on a steam train to Porvo. Warning if you take the train - if you use the W/C you'll see the train tracks. The train ride was pointless as the bus beat us to our destination. Porvo is a Medieval town, cobblestone streets and sidewalks, mainly a tourist town filled with small shops. Back on the bus to have lunch at a country retreat of the Russian royal family. The palace was beautiful, but the lunch was by far the worst food I have eated in years. Our bus driver said that it was not Finlandic. I was concerned about the plastic containers of water on the table as the ship constantly warned passengers to drink only bottled water. When the waiter placed a pot of gooey potatoes on the table and motioned for us to serve ourselves, I knew things were going downhill, fast. Then the waiter appeared with another pot and ladel, giving each of us a scoop of stewed dark meat of chicken with overooked vegetables in a watery, brown sweet sauce. I considered just eating a piece of the Italian bread, but decided to take a few crackers from my fanny pack instead. The culmination was a slice of Jello. On the way back we visited a stone church, but could not see the other sights because the traffic was too heavy. Again, I stopped by the Shore excursion desk and asked if anyone from Celebrity ever goes on their recommended tours.

Fifth port - St. Petersburg. We booked Package A, an inclusive tour. Visited the Hermitage - Winter Palace, stopped a various points of interest for photographs, visited the Church on the Spilled Blood, St. Isaac's Cathedral,

great Russian luncheon at a hotel on Nevsky Prospekt, with entertainment and drink. Stopped by the Aurora, a battleship whose guns signaled the start of the Russian Revolution. We went to the ballet at night, and the following day went to Tsarskoye Selo - Catherine Palace for a lengthy tour. After some time at a craft market, we had a great lunch at a local restaurant with lively entertainment. In the afternoon we went to Peterhof, walked the park & saw the many fountains, entertainers and people in period costume. We did an interior tour of the palace and returned to the ship about 5:45 PM.

Sixth port - Tallin. We did a panoramic morning tour, took a few pictures of the Old Town, bought candy from a truck set up near the pier, and then walked over to a mini shopping mall near the ship. Bought some cute crystal swans and snowflakes - only to find a tag "Made in USA" attached.

Seventh port - Riga. The port is a vast lumber yard, piles of wood chips, logs and milled timber. The lines of passengers attempting to get onto the shuttle bus were almost as long as the ship. Lots of unhappy passengers standing around for over an hour. Traffic is a major problem in Riga and the port is about 20-30 minutes away from the city center. We took an afternoon tour of Riga, and like Tallin, wished we had stayed on the ship to relax.

Eighth port - Klaipeda. The ship provide little information to passengers about the port. I realize this is a new port for the cruise line, but Celebrity needs to do some homework and provide guests with information. What a great port! We walked along the canal to a market area of local artisans. There was entertainment and a wide selection of local crafts. Along the way we saw some interesting pubs and restaurants and stopped for a drink and food. We later walked along the main streets and park area. In the early afternoon, we took a bus tour to Palanga & the Amber museum. We visited a botanical garden at which our guide stopped by various statues and told Lithuanian folk tales. In the park we listened to a group of school children & their teacher sing and play native instruments and then they invited our group to join them in song and dance. We walked through the park to a beautiful beach. The tour of the Amber Museum was very informative. When we returned to Klaipeda, we had time to visit another craft market and then the tour ended with a stop at a local pub.

The last two days were at sea, and gave us time to relax and gain a few hours as we sailed west. We had dinner at Ocean Liners. The goat cheese souffle is still as great as ever. There were a number of nights in which we never ate in the main dining room. Rather, we had dinner at the pasta bar or buffet on deck ten. Breakfast & lunch were always at the buffet. I did order room service one morning and was disappointed.

This is my third cruise on the Constellation, seventh with Celebrity. The Martini bar isn't as much fun without Sudi. While we were away, DH received an email from Sudi letting us know that he will be returning to the Constellation in late September. Guess I have to book again.

Darcy

Second port - Warnemunde. Took a full day bus trip to Lubeck, a Hanseatic City and Schwerin Castle. This included a traditional lunch at an historical seafarer's restaurant. The bus trip was a bit boring and long, but we did get to see the country side, and sleep a bit due to the time change two night's in a row. Lubeck is a great place to shop, with the best candy store in Germany. The Castle was beautiful; had a snack & beverage in the glass enclosed orangery of the castle. We were very impressed by the number of turbine wind mills that supply some 25-35% of the country's power.

Darcy

About how much time spent in the bus? ALso, how much time exploring Lubeck and the castle.

Thanks,

Kurt

Karen, if I had to do it again, I would have booked a morning tour to Palanga & the Amber Museum. Part of my reason for a later tour, was fatigue from 7 days of tours and early wake-up calls. Celebrity contracted with Meja Travel who provided the tour guide and transportation. Lots of great maps, booklets and information throughout the tour. The ship docks so close to the city center, you can walk it in 5-10 minutes. Most people walked along the river/canal, but there was a back road from the port that brought you to a quaint Old Town center. Many of the buildings at the port are in the process of being updated in anticipation of increased tourism.

Kurt, the bus ride from the port to Lubeck took about an hour. We were given a brief walking tour, and then 45 minutes to shop. We made a quick survey of the shops, enough time for DH to buy a sweater and I hit the marzipan candy store. We then walked through the town, visited historic buildings, walked to the restuarant, then another bus ride for an hour and a half to the castle. We had to use the castle guides. No time or opportunity to purchase pictures of the interior and photography was not allowed. After the snack, we were back on the bus for another hour and a half ride to the ship. There was quite a bit of traffic on local roads, however, the major roadways were excellent.

Darcy

Karen, if I had to do it again, I would have booked a morning tour to Palanga & the Amber Museum. Part of my reason for a later tour, was fatigue from 7 days of tours and early wake-up calls. Celebrity contracted with Meja Travel who provided the tour guide and transportation. Lots of great maps, booklets and information throughout the tour. The ship docks so close to the city center, you can walk it in 5-10 minutes. Most people walked along the river/canal, but there was a back road from the port that brought you to a quaint Old Town center. Many of the buildings at the port are in the process of being updated in anticipation of increased tourism.

Kurt, the bus ride from the port to Lubeck took about an hour. We were given a brief walking tour, and then 45 minutes to shop. We made a quick survey of the shops, enough time for DH to buy a sweater and I hit the marzipan candy store. We then walked through the town, visited historic buildings, walked to the restuarant, then another bus ride for an hour and a half to the castle. We had to use the castle guides. No time or opportunity to purchase pictures of the interior and photography was not allowed. After the snack, we were back on the bus for another hour and a half ride to the ship. There was quite a bit of traffic on local roads, however, the major roadways were excellent.

Darcy

In Lubeck did you feel like you had enough time to see the highlights? Also in Lubeck, the tour guide showed you some highlights, then you were on your own for lunch (good I hope)....

Was the castle tour mainly the exterior? So about 4 hours or riding in the bus and about 6 hours of touring and such..Was the tour like from 730-530 and was the bus pretty fulll...Sorry so many questions....

Thanks!

Kurt

Kurt

We were off the ship about 8: and returned about 6:30 PM. The travel time was an hour to Lubeck, with 40 minutes to shop, some guided sightseeing, and then we walked a few blocks to the restaurant with a lunch menu that was part of the tour package. Great old world, nautical atmosphere in the restaurant, good food and included beer or wine with a 3 course meal.

The trip to the castle was close to two hours. That tour was guided by castle staff, then we had butter crumb cake & tea in the glass enclosed orangery, after which we walked the grounds. Hint: eat quickly as the grounds and gardens are beautiful; the walking tour doesn't cover the exterior area enough. Then it was another hour an a half back to the ship. I used the bus trip for sleep time. This is a ten-hour tour per the shore excursion booklet.

Darcy

Archived