Disney World Resort Vacation Vs Celebrity Cruise

Cruise Arizona

Hello every one. I just got back from 5 days at Walt Disney World in Orlando with my husbands family and I thought it would be interesting to post a comparison of this vacation to my experience on Celebrity.

Cost: If you hear a "Giant Sucking Sound" at Disney World it is your money being ripped from your wallet. They have more innovative ways to seperate you from your money than any cruise line. However, that being said I would say the cost of a Disney World vaction is comparabel to a cruise. We figured the vacation for 7 adults and 5 children, 5 nights , 6 days was pretty close to 10K or about $165 per day per person. That included Air, Food and Drinks, so with most cruises you are looking at about 160-200 a day per person, so a little less expensive.

Dining:

Dining ranged from rediculously overpriced fast food, to a wonderful sit down dinner at the "Brown Derby" at Disney MGM Studios. We also had a nice Buffet at the German Beirgarten at Epcot.

But the food at Disney, overall doesn't even compare to the Celebrity

Public Rooms and Amenities:

I have to give Disney the edge here with every possible decorative scheme from the Cretaceous to Futuristic Space, from Haunted Mansions, to Neverland, Disney does know how to fill a space with lots of eye candy.

Resort hotel had several family friendly pools, including a water slide, a fishing hole, and lakes.

However, the layout of the hotel was too spread out. Bell Services had to use golf carts to transport luggage, but did not transport guest. It rained every day we were there and we got soaked several times walking from the lobby to our room.

Rooms:

We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside resort. Rooms had a rustic cajun theme with hand carved bed frames and furnishing, a dressing area with a privacy curtain, and very plush beads. We could here no noise from other rooms.

Rooms in this resort were larger than your tipical cruise ship cabin, but not by a whole lot. I would compare them in size to a La Quinta. Amenities included a fridge, TV and Messaging shower head.

Entertainment:

I have to give Disney the edge here over a cruise . With thrill rides like Space Mountian, Tower of Terror, Aerosmith's Rock'n Roller Coaster, and Big Thunder Mountain, Shows like Lights Motor Action, and Fantasmic, Animatronic Rides like Splash Mountain, The Great Movie Ride, and the Haunted Mansion, and Simulator rids like Star Tours, Mission Space, and Soar'in. We even went on a safari and trime travel trip to the late cretaceous to rescue a dinosaur. .... Not much can compete with Disney. We were probably "over enteretained".

Fitness and Recreation:

I'll bet some of the more luxurious resorts have a fitness room, but we were kept pretty well worked out by criss-crossing our way across the parks. I have blisters on my blisters, and one night I couldn't sleep because I was getting cramps on the bottom of my feet.

Kids and Family:

Great place for kids. Even at our expensive dining night at the Hollywood Brown Derby, the kids fit right into this full service restuarant. It was a little tiring for them as we tried to packe as much as possible into one day to get our money's worth and not miss any major atrractions. The kids loved everything about it except the waits in lines. My daughter commented one night that "It was a dream come true".

Fellow Guest:

Most people were very nice and very curtious. However we did have the few line cutters and people who did not "go all the way across" during theater seating. Ages ranged from 6 months to 60's and 70's.

My biggest complaint was there were just too many of them. Crowds crowds every where. Even at 10:00 pm in the hotel food court the crows were unmanageable. I ended up ordering Take-out from the full service dining room, because I couldn't figure out how to bring home hot food from the food court. I would have had to wait in 3 different lines to get the things my family wanted.

In the them parks some of the waits for the rides exceeded 90 minutes with out a fast pass and the Fast Pass's often were all distributed by 4:00 in the afternoon.

Fashion:

While most people wore shorts and t-shirts you saw every thing under the sun. From Goth Teens in black skateboarders pants and black tank tops with fishnet long sleeve shirts underneath to a pregnant teen in a binkini top and skater style skirt, completing her ensamble with a belly button ring. It was so hot and steamy you saw a lot of tank tops and swim suit tops accompanied by the inevitable sunburns to go with them. My mother-in-law had fun people watching while we went on thrill rides. I commented when I saw one rather large woman in a bikini top and hip hugger shorts that my husband would look better in that outfit than she did. My suggestion in amument parks is to dress cool, but dress appropriatly for your body type and retain some sense of modesty.

Relaxation:

What's that. We were running so frantic trying to get everything on our must see list done and dealing with the huge crowds, there was not a momonet to relax. Our best day was at the Studios, where were were forced to relax for our one big sit-down dinner. We had made prior reservation for the "Fantasmic Dinner Pagage" This had us eating dinner at 3:30 in ordere to get reserve seating for a 9:00 show. Dinner was great and lasted until 5:30. At which time we were able to make the 6:40 show of Lights, Motors, Action: a Car and Motor Cycle stunt show. Between that show and Fantasmic we were able to fit in on other attraction and then make our way to the reserve seating for the water, pirotechnics and live action show "Fantasmic." Very enjoyable but the show was delayed 30 minutes due to weather.

Tendering:

We took the "Disney Magical Express" to and from the airport. This was neither magical nor express as we had to get our own luggage on the way, and try three times to get confirmed for our departure. We also waited in line for 4 minutes trying to check our luggage.

We also took the Disney tranportation buses to and from the parks. The morning rides were fine, but in the evening we waited more than 40 minutes to get on a bus back to the hotel.

So I guess part two of this review will come in December when I return from the 15 day Infinity to Hawaii. I'll better be able to compare the two, but as for my DH extended family, even though we had a great time, we all want to do a family cruise together next time instead of Disney. It was fun and exciting, but not relaxing at all, and seemed more like work than a vacation .

I was at Disneyworld for a week earlier this month. We stayed at port Orleans French Quarter, which I like MUCh better thqn Riverside, it's much smaller and easier to navigate.

I love Disneyworld and go frequently, but I just don't think you can compare it with a cruise, they are such different types of vacations. DW is such a busy, action packed time while a cruise is a relaxing, laid back experience (at least for me). Kind of like comparing aples to oranges, both great, but different.

One thing I do agree with is the food at DW is way overpriced!

Terri

My Mother-in-law had originally made reverations at the French Quarter, but then the Riverside ran a sale, cutting the price from about $120 a night to $90 a night Or something like that, and with 4 rooms for 5 nights she switched the reservation for the Magical Gathering to the Riverside. She was very generous, planned the trip and paid for the hotel, park-hoppers and air fare for the kids. We just paid for the food, adult airfare, and shopping. Nothing to compain about there.

I agree it is a completely different kind of vacation from a cruise. A go, go , go adventure, but not very relaxing. DH and I were so tired today that we took naps this afternoon.

The experience was over-all great, but the main stressers for me were the waits in long lines not only for attractions, but also most frustraitingly for transportation, the over-priced food, and the blisters on my feet.

Hi Suzanne, have a question for you. When you said your price included food...

How is that possible?

I know airfare can be included in the package price but food? Oh, I am reading

your last paragraph. You paid for the food.

I must have misunderstood your original post. It sounded like food was included

in the package.

And I agree with Terri, it is such a totally different vacation than a cruise.

Sort of like comparing apples to oranges.

Hi Lois !

Actually Disney does have a dining plan. For $35 a day you get a counter service lunch, a snack and a sit down dinner. They have been running a special lately where the dining plan is free if you purchase a package including hotel & park tickets. My daughter & I are going in September.

Terri

We didn't do the food package, but I think I knew there was one available. It just seemed simpler to do the food a la carte.

I found it very hard to stay on my low-carb diet. I tried to stick with grilled chicken salads, but the dressings were very sweet, so after 2 days, I just started eating what looked good and didn't worry about the low carb thing.

In contrast, with all the selection and variety on the cruise, I was able to stick to my diet on my last cruise and didn't gain even a pound on the cruise.

You also have to plan ahead for your sit-down or even buffet dinners. If you don't have "priority seating" reservation, it is nearly impossible when the parks are crowded to get a table.

All these things just add a little stress, where as for me altleast, my cruises have been stress free vacations.

Hi girls:)

Terri, are you going with your daughter for a week? Or a weekend? I haven't

been to any of the parks in probably 3 years. My personal favorite is Epcot:D

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.:)

Suzanne, Low Carb at Disney?....definitely sounds like it might be difficult to do.

Interesting review idea! I know both of these experiences very well, living here in South Florida where Disney and cruise ships are both practically in my backyard. I know Disney a little better...my 21st cruise is coming in September, but I've been to Disney World (or Land) 30-40 days a year every year since 1971!

A few comments and observations that might help you if you ever go again...or just for other ideas:

Cost: If you hear a "Giant Sucking Sound" at Disney World it is your money being ripped from your wallet. They have more innovative ways to seperate you from your money than any cruise line.

There are interesting ways to save money on a Disney trip too. First and foremost is: avoid Disney food as much as possible! Nothing wrong with it, but it does add up. If you choose a resort that has a kitchenette or refrigerator (there are 12 of them on property, and at least 15 off property within 7 miles, and prices can run the same as a decent hotel - $100ish), you can purchase lunch or breakfast goods at a store. Especially when staying on Disney property, heading back to the hotel for lunch can be very nice, not only saving money but allowing the feet to rest, a change of clothes, or a dip in the pool. Avoid lunch at $10 per person per day will save a bunch over 5 days!

When staying at a Disney resort, you can factor in the savings and conveniences of free transportation, and special early/late access to the theme parks, and often can get discounts on certain events or dinners.

And surprisingly, you can spend an entire day at Disney without entering a theme park and still have alot of fun...go for 5 days but only buy 4 days of passes and use one day to visit all the Disney hotels (each one is its own theme park, and even kids can spend hours at Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Boardwalk resort), visit Marketplace, play minigolf, and wrap the night up at West End.

Dining ranged from rediculously overpriced fast food, to a wonderful sit down dinner at the "Brown Derby" at Disney MGM Studios. We also had a nice Buffet at the German Beirgarten at Epcot. But the food at Disney, overall doesn't even compare to the Celebrity

BTW - you may be surprised to learn of the sheer selection of food available for varying prices. For example, Disney has some serious restaurants and chefs if you want to splurge...you can go full dress-up (suits required) to dine at Victoria and Alberts in the Grand Floridian (5-star), check out the Contemporary's California Grill (4-star), Wilderness Lodge's Artist's Point (serves wild game and Pacific Northwestern wines), The Yachtsman Steakhouse, Alfredo's, Maya Grill, Narcoose's, or Spoodles (all of these are mid-priced full-service high-quality gourmet restaurants).

Celebrity's food is quite excellent, and included in your package, which makes it unbeatable. But just know that there is another side to Disney that many people never get the chance to try!

However, the layout of the hotel was too spread out. Bell Services had to use golf carts to transport luggage, but did not transport guest. It rained every day we were there and we got soaked several times walking from the lobby to our room. Rooms in this resort were larger than your tipical cruise ship cabin, but not by a whole lot. I would compare them in size to a La Quinta.

You won't have that problem at many other resorts...the Port Orleans and Coronado are the most 'open' style resorts. Many others are self-contained buildings or have inner hallways and are more hub-shaped. Also, you stayed at a resort with the smallest rooms in Disney! Some other resorts including the older Polynesian and Contemporary have quite large rooms (double the size of the Orleans), and you can even stay in full 2-bedroom condominiums on Disney property (2,100 sq ft of space with kitchen, laundry room, whirlpool tubs, etc).

I'll bet some of the more luxurious resorts have a fitness room, but we were kept pretty well worked out by criss-crossing our way across the parks. I have blisters on my blisters, and one night I couldn't sleep because I was getting cramps on the bottom of my feet.

Indeed most of them do. I believe even Port Orleans has one. But as you mentioned, who needs a fitness room when you walk all over Disney!

My biggest complaint was there were just too many of them. Crowds crowds every where. Even at 10:00 pm in the hotel food court the crows were unmanageable. I ended up ordering Take-out from the full service dining room, because I couldn't figure out how to bring home hot food from the food court. I would have had to wait in 3 different lines to get the things my family wanted. In the them parks some of the waits for the rides exceeded 90 minutes with out a fast pass and the Fast Pass's often were all distributed by 4:00 in the afternoon.

Next time, consider going 'off-season', which can make a huge difference. I go up to Disney all times of the year - Memorial Day is the worst for crowds. But my favorite time has always been late January - early February. The parks are 1/4 full, most rides are walk-on with no line, the most popular thrill rides have lines as short as 10 minutes, and you can walk freely around on near-empty sidewalks. And of course the temps are much much cooler - upper 60s to low 70s and little to no rain. It really makes the whole experience completely different! And you can find excellent discounts at that time of year. It is surprising with the awful winters up north that more people don't come down then!

Relaxation: What's that. We were running so frantic trying to get everything on our must see list done and dealing with the huge crowds, there was not a momonet to relax.

I've converted dozens of friends to a different approach to Disney and all of them love me for it. My advice? Relax, take your time, people-watch, and don't try to cram everything in. Disney has tremendous attention to detail, and those who take their time find amazing enjoyment there. It is a wonderful place to walk and people watch, has lots of great places to relax, lots of neat walk-through exhibits. First-timers or those encumbered with kids always feel the need to cram it all in, but if you don't rush, a Disney trip can be almost as relaxing as a cruise. I actually use Disney trips to decompress from the 9-5 grind and relax. Next time, try it and you'll be surprised how well equipped the parks are for relaxing vacationers.

We also took the Disney tranportation buses to and from the parks. The morning rides were fine, but in the evening we waited more than 40 minutes to get on a bus back to the hotel.

I get to drive to my Disney resort, so I don't have the experience you do of going to and from an airport. But as far as Disney transportation...some of the ways to get around are just as fun for the kids as some of the rides. Staying at a resort with alternate transportation is the key. For example, staying at the Polynesian, Contemporary, or Grand Floridian gives you in-hotel access to the Monorail to get to Magic Kingdom or Epcot. Kids love the Monorail! Also, each of these hotels have boats back and forth to the Magic Kingdom, which are relaxing and fun. Stay at Wilderness Lodge, and you can boat into Magic Kingdom...a nice 7 minute ride on a cool breezy lake. From Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club, you can take a boat into Epcot or MGM Studios. Kids will love these much more than busses...and so will you when you don't have to deal with the bus crowds and can enjoy the slower pace of the boats.

Also, you can try tricky combinations of busses and boats to shortcut end-of-day lines. For example, to get from Epcot to Port Orleans when the park is closing, you can take the bus to Marketplace (many more busses travel this route, so you won't wait as long), then either catch a transfer bus to Port Orleans from there (no crowds now!), or walk into Marketplace and catch the boat from Rainforest Cafe to Port Orleans (a nice 10 minute boat ride). By transferring from the crowded park to a less crowded location first, you can avoid the standing-room-only busses and 40-minute waits. It might even take as long overall, but you'll be spending more time sitting on an air-conditioned bus than standing in a crowded bus stop in 90 degree air!

Anyway - not countering your points...just wanted to add some alternatives in case anyone wanted some inside info. I'm a serious Disney addict, as well as a cruise addict. Surprisingly, I've kept the two trips distinct, never having been tempted to try a Disney cruise. I like the small differences and feel between them, and will probably keep them that way. Both are relaxing trips for me, but Disney is where I can be allowed to feel like a kid while relaxing...just release myself from my duties and enjoy the fun...while cruises are my adult capsule to completely seclude me from the normal working life, and allow me to see the world, take pictures, enjoy the accompanyment of adults, and catch up on reading with the smell of the ocean breezes and sway of the ship to lull my senses!

Thanks AZ for starting this and THANKS Zackiedog for the great hints...we booked a cruise for next Feb and were thinking of tacking on a few days at Disney...decided it was too much and will dedicate a whole week to WDW the following year - went there on our honeymoon 30 years ago and, although we've been back in the interim with kids, not for a long time.

I'm still wrestling with the staying In Park/Not In Park debate. Thought the Dolphin or Swan would be a good compromise because we're Starwood gold, and they're "sort of" in park (heard you could walk to Epcot, a big plus). But would love the extra space/ kitchen convenience of a condo...are any of the in-park condoes affiliated with either Starwood or Hilton? (hate not to collect points).

Our Anniversary is February 26, but have heard that second half of the month is crowded because of President's day and East Coast winter breaks. Would be willing to go the early part of the month if the crowds are less.

Any advice for a winter trip with no kids would be much appreciated.

I hope I wasn't too negative on Disney.

Unfortunately, with kids in school and our district not having an off season holiday like an October Break, we were kind of limited to visiting during school break times. I would also recommend that if your family's schedule permits go in the off season. It will be much more relaxing and you'll get more time doing activities and less time in lines.

I would gladly go back in early December or October which are supposed to be great times to visit. Maybe we'll take the kids out of school to go next time.

One of the reasons we stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside was that they ran a sale, and since my mother-in-law was paying for the hotel, we wanted to take the opportunity to save her some money. I think if it hadn't been for the rain, this hotel would have been just fine. We spent such little time in the room the small size was not really even an issue, I just put that in for comparison purposes to a cruise ship cabin.

My other thought was along the lines of one of your suggestions, that if I went again I would do 5 or 6 full days at the resort with only 4 days at the theme parks. That would give us a day or rest or to look at the other non-theme park things to do at Disney.

What did I love: Lots and Lots. I loved Mission Space, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain especailly because of its combination of a flume/splash ride and Animatronic Uncle Remus Story Characters. I loved Buzz Lightyear, Dinosaur, Rock'in Rollar Coaster (I have always liked Aerosmith since the 70's.) I loved the shows and would liked to have seen more but I had to keep up with what the rest of my group did. We even went to the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" game show attraction. If the person in the Hot Seat gets to the Million "Point" Level they win a 4 day Disney Cruise. At the $32 point leve they win pins and a hat. That was a lot of fun, and they guy in hot seat got to the 32K level.

There are so many imaginative things at Disney world. Our kids were amazed by all their creative ideas like a fully walking animatronic Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom and a talking robot trash bin in Tomorrow Land.

I also loved using the fast pass when we could get them. They worked so well in getting on the popular rides and avoiding the long waits.

The kids had a great time. They were actually pretty well behaved considering the extended hours we kept and the amount of walking we did.

But if given a choice between Disney World and a Celebrity Cruise for my next family gathering vacation... I think I'd have to go with the cruise.

Of Couse during the summer we would have the whole Hurricane thing, so we might have to lean to Alaska.

LOL, Having just got back yesterday from a week at the mouse, I love this thread. Yes I do agree at times it is possible that for Mickey's Glove to just look like a big hand asking for money, it is still (after many, many trips) a great vacation.

And it doesn't HAVE to be a pricey one.

Myself and "she who must be obeyed", have been Disney Vacation Club owners for the past six years and view it as money well spent. As a result, regardless of what our year is like it sort of a guaranteed vacation each year, in a luxury resort (we always choose either the Boardwalk or the Beach Club).

The fridges in the kitchenettes allow us to stock up on cases of water and six packs of soda and beer as well as some nice wine- During the days we don't have to pay $2.25 for a bottle of water, and after the day is over we enjoy a nice night cap on our balcony. While I always go out for Breakfast (I must have my bacon) "She who must be obeyed" enjoys fruits and cereal which we also stock up on (all this done on the Orange Blossum trail, after leaving the airport) She also enjoys that I don't wake her for Breakfast.

The choices of accomodations are many. The choices for food can be remarkable (My personal favorites- Portobello's in Downtown Disney, O'Hanas in the Poly, Boma's and Jikko in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Cobb Salad

at the brown derby and just getting a cheese plate and Ham & Cheese Croissant from the bakery in France- The Crystal Palace for lunch has even greatly improved it's food quality over the years.)

As to the lines- We have gone enough, that we have learned the in's and outs of the lines. Which days are best for which parks and how to balance fast-pass times, by going on the less popular walk-ons.

Of course sometimes there is just no figuring the parks.

Remarkably during 4th of July Weekend, on a Saturday this year, almost every ride at MGM was a walk on- Rode Tower of Terror three times, got three fast passes for Rock N Roller Coaster- so rode that three times. Did Millionaire, saw the new stunt show (very good) did muppets, the great Movie ride, Star tours, once again enjoyed The Walt Disney exhibit AND had our Cobb Salad at Brown Derby, all Between 10:0-3pm. All with plenty of time left to walk back to our beloved beach club, nap and swim before heading out to Epcot for the evening. LOL, I think everyone was at Magic Kingdom.

We rode soarin three times, love that ride, by me walking over to Epcot after breakfast and picking up a of couple of fast passes three times. Usually the passes had a time of between 3:30 and 4:30- just about when we would be returning from another parks adventure, so we would hit Epcot before hitting the Hotel pool.

Going there every year also means we don't have to do the parks from sun up to sun down, just at our liesure- which makes all the difference in the world.

We do btw, go on a cruise every other year- NOT a disney cruise- With a batch of longtime friends. Next one up (which is why I'm on these boards) is

President's Week on the Millennium with a party ( and I do Mean Party) of 5 other people.

Nothing like message boards for great info

John

Office of The Mouse

The Zamgwar Institute

I'm still wrestling with the staying In Park/Not In Park debate. Thought the Dolphin or Swan would be a good compromise because we're Starwood gold, and they're "sort of" in park (heard you could walk to Epcot, a big plus).

Swan and Dolphin are very much in the parks...you can walk to Epcot easily - it's about 1/2 mile; and you can walk to MGM too (a little more brisk of a walk, at around 2 miles...but there is a walkway along the river all the way there). You can also take Disney transportation boats to both parks...and Disney busses to any park location.

But would love the extra space/ kitchen convenience of a condo...are any of the in-park condoes affiliated with either Starwood or Hilton? (hate not to collect points).

The condos are all part of Disney's Vacation Club...which are affiliated with one of the timeshare companies, but i don't know which. But you can also stay at the condos (presuming they are not all full when you want to go), and sometimes the sale prices can be pretty good. Check out Old Key West especially...these are reasonably priced, often not sold out, and far and away the largest condos on property (the 2-bedroom condo there is huge...I'd guess 2,300 sq ft...bigger than any other 2-bedroom condo at the other DVC resorts).

There are several off-property condo units very close to Disney property, around the 535 & Int'l Drive area. These are roughly 1/2 mile from Disney's Marketplace - they are full condos - and to get into Disney you'd only have to drive on one road about 1/3 mile, then turn into Marketplace and park. From there you could take Disney transportation for the rest of the day and leave your car at Marketplace. Busses will run until 1AM back to Marketplace. Just another idea!

Our Anniversary is February 26, but have heard that second half of the month is crowded because of President's day and East Coast winter breaks. Would be willing to go the early part of the month if the crowds are less.

Early February - the first week or two, will definately be less crowded than late February. Late February still isn't too bad - it will have some crowds but nothing like the peak summer times...but early February is probably the best time of the year overall to avoid crowds and lines.

Any advice for a winter trip with no kids would be much appreciated.

I find Disney a great place to go without kids...there is a whole nother side to the parks when your itinerary and priorities aren't being led by a child. The parks really do have adult sides - good entertainment, music, architecture, education, fun, food, and night life.

I hope I wasn't too negative on Disney.

Not at all...I think you gave it a very good review. Just thought I'd add a few hints and different ideas.

If Disney could satisfy every vacation desire I ever had, I wouldn't have gone on 20 cruises, and wouldn't go on other trips! There's always room for cruising in my life...I love cruises and the unique vacation getaway it delivers - think about nothing and have everything done for you while your hotel and city magically arrive in new countries and islands every few days!

Myself and "she who must be obeyed", have been Disney Vacation Club owners for the past six years and view it as money well spent. As a result, regardless of what our year is like it sort of a guaranteed vacation each year, in a luxury resort (we always choose either the Boardwalk or the Beach Club).

I'm a DVC member too - since 1996. Boardwalk is our home resort - but I've tried them all just for diversity! I usually stay at Wilderness Lodge for Memorial Day, Boardwalk in January, Old Key West in Feb and August, and Beach Club in November. Haven't tried Saratoga yet, but will probably give it a try this November.

Being a DVC member certainly makes the trips to Disney go easier on the wallet - that and buying the Annual pass. I can go up there 30 days a year, and basically spend only for 1/2 tank of gas each way, and food & drink. Of course, I've got to get a new pass at $270 each year, and pay for the DVC - but it's great to have a home up there to go to.

But it can still be cheaper by following a few of the same techniques, like lunching back at the condo/room, and getting some snack and drink supplies at a local market.

Then again...when a cruise is on sale, it can be pretty hard to beat IMHO. In September, I'll be on the Zuiderdam for $135 per person per day including all port fees and taxes, and staying in an SS minisuite. With all that food and entertainment paid for, and a decent sized room, that's a heck of a deal!

>>Haven't tried Saratoga yet, but will probably give it a try this November.<<

I just spent four of my days there, the balance were at the Beach Club. My review will be out shortly in the All Ears news letter if you get that.

John

Office of Vacations

The Zamgwar Institute

• 3 weeks later...

We are adopting a 9 year old who had never been to Disney. This being the soonest we could squeeze in a visit, just returned from WDW and a stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Five nights in the beginning of July was exactly what we expected: unbearably hot and jam packed with crowds. A stay inside the park, always has been and always will be expensive. All three of us enjoyed the Disney Dining Package and had no problems with any of the food. The sirloin steak I had at the Whispering Canyon was just as tender and delicious as I have had in all of my years of cruising.

Even dd will tell you that now that she has been, there is no need to go to Disney again for quite some time. Even she prefers a cruise vacation! She is extremely excited about her second cruise in December :D

My kids' school gets 2 weeks for spring break in March before the crowds get really bad. Best vacation we ever did with them was a combo Millenium cruise/ Disney world trip. Sort of our more relaxing version of a Disney cruise.

Flew into Orlando and did 6 days at WDW (Grand Flo), rented a car and drove to FLL to board the Millie and spent the next week decompressing from WDW.

Seriously, we've found that if you spend enough time at WDW that you are not forced to do a park each day, a WDW vacation can be very enjoyable. We alsways stay on the WDW property. Take time to enjoy other attractions such as the hotel pools, Downtown Disney, golfing, water parks, etc. And enjoy the great restaturants such as Citiricos, CA grill and Victoria and Alberts.

This year, we did a WDW/Mariner of the Seas combo.

Make sure you ride "Soarin'" at Epcot. An incredible ride!!!

We have done the Disney World/Celebrity Cruise "combo" three times. First time was just sort of a lark - I had some passes left over from two years working for Disney - we checked out the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, realized we preferred the "original" Disneyland out here to the Magic Kingdom (just can't deal with the Tea Cups under a roof :) ...). But we adored Epcot, so the other two times, we've gone there, flying into Orlando, doing our Disney visit (and seeing friends in Orlando), driving to FLL, cruising, flying home from FLL. Priceline got us some good deals near WDW those last two trips (most recently, the Sheraton Safari). And FWIW, there is one restaurant at Epcot that definitely gives Celebrity a challenge in the chow department -- the Italian restaurant in the "World Showcase" area. HEAVENLY.

TR

Mercury AK 8/26/05 (cruising WITHOUT flying this year)

Millennium EC 12/04, Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

Archived