Staying Sober On My First Cruise. Meetings?

StevenStephen

Howdy folks,

I'm going on my first cruise in November on the Celebrity Reflection (November 30, 2013). I'm beyond excited...already started a packing list thanks to you all. Something I really really (really) need to do is keep an eye on staying sober.

Even with eleven years under my belt...a big frosty frozen cocktail will still catch my eye. Heck, a crushed empty beer can on the side of the highway will still catch my eye. :eek:(LOL) A cruise, with thousands of people drinking seemingly all the time, makes me think that I'll need a little Fellowship.

So, I would like to find out if anyone has experience with attending/hosting A.A. meetings during a cruise. I've heard plenty of stories about nobody showing up for meetings; that would be just so depressing. Should I plan on there already being a meeting set up...or should I put my big-girl-pants on and plan a meeting?

Thanks a ton!

A cruise line will set aside a room or other space that will appear in the daily program as "Friends of Bill W." It's unhosted and there will not be anything set up by the cruise line. (Our groups as such ought never be organized...;)) AA meetings only need two members to have a "quorum". How many show up is anybody's guess. I've been on a ship with over 2200 passengers with only 4 coming to FOB. Be prepared to take the initiative to lead in case the others are a bit passive.

Howdy folks,

I'm going on my first cruise in November on the Celebrity Reflection (November 30, 2013). I'm beyond excited...already started a packing list thanks to you all. Something I really really (really) need to do is keep an eye on staying sober.

Even with eleven years under my belt...a big frosty frozen cocktail will still catch my eye. Heck, a crushed empty beer can on the side of the highway will still catch my eye. :eek:(LOL) A cruise, with thousands of people drinking seemingly all the time, makes me think that I'll need a little Fellowship.

So, I would like to find out if anyone has experience with attending/hosting A.A. meetings during a cruise. I've heard plenty of stories about nobody showing up for meetings; that would be just so depressing. Should I plan on there already being a meeting set up...or should I put my big-girl-pants on and plan a meeting?

Thanks a ton!

First, congratulations on your eleven years. And good for you to want to keep going.

I've been on the Reflection. You will not find "thousands of people drinking seemingly all the time". It's not that kind of a ship - or cruise line. Sure, some will have a few drinks now and then, but the vast majority of people you will see during the day will be drinking nothing stronger than tea or soda.

Good luck to your continued sobriety.

A cruise line will set aside a room or other space that will appear in the daily program as "Friends of Bill W." It's unhosted and there will not be anything set up by the cruise line. (Our groups as such ought never be organized...;)) AA meetings only need two members to have a "quorum". How many show up is anybody's guess. I've been on a ship with over 2200 passengers with only 4 coming to FOB. Be prepared to take the initiative to lead in case the others are a bit passive.

Awesome. Thanks...I'll have to remember Rule 62 and not take myself, or this cruise, so seriously. Looks like I'll have to add a little literature to my packing list just in case.

I'm glad to hear that this won't be a party cruise...I had this nightmare of this being a floating Animal House! It's just that I've seen waaay to many tips on how to smuggle booze onto a cruise ship!

Thanks!

Hi, I've been on 9 cruises. Each has had a Friends of Bill W. set up on the schedule. The ship will schedule the 1st couple of meetings, but you may be on your own to set up follow-up meetings. With people leaving for tours or going into port, a set time is not always feasible. We took a group conscience and move the time and place of one meeting to an early hour. Be prepared for no one to show up for days. Some wait until they "need it". Take a pocket meeting or small bb with you to follow traditions. Also be prepared for non-AA members. The Friends of Bill W. have become a catch-all for all 12-step groups. We get Alanon, Over Eaters, NA, GA, etc. It is about looking for the similarities and not the differences! Enjoy. The ship has a lot of drinks with no booze! BarkingElm

The Friends of Bill W. have become a catch-all for all 12-step groups. We get Alanon, Over Eaters, NA, GA, etc. It is about looking for the similarities and not the differences!

While Boston does sometimes have a Big Book Thumper vibe...as long as the Language of the Heart is heard, I'm home.

As a past GSR, DCM, Service Seminar Chair and Area Secretary...I can handle getting a meeting together! :D Thanks for the heads up!

Just wanted to say "congrats" on your 11 years! And assure you that not all cruises are all about beer, belly flops and umbrella drinks :) From what I understand Celebrity's vibe is more refined than that!

There are plenty of places you can go and not see anyone having an alcoholic bev. We cruise on HAL but they and Celebrity are supposed to be very similar. If that IS the case, I can assure you there are many more "non-slippery" than "slippery" places....

Keep in mind those fruity, frosty drinks can be made without liquor. If you have a yen for a pina colada, ask for virgin and bartenders are more than happy to oblige. They make tons of them daily.

that is a wonderful, life-affirming accomplishment!

Thanks! Sometimes, after a few years, it's easy to forget what an amazing thing it is. Just over eleven years ago I was looking at doorways to sleep in and trying to figure out how to end my life without much physical pain. Now, I'm worrying about if a meeting will be held on a freaking cruise ship! I'm just lucky I 'wandered' into a meeting. :rolleyes:

Since you will be on a Celebrity cruise, do NOT look in Celebrity Today (the printed daily program) for time and place of meetings. It is X policy not to print any passenger-led activities in the program. There will be a noteboard or whiteboard listing FOB meetings--along with FOD, religious services, mah jongg, quiliting et al (and not in any sort of organized or legible format)--somewhere near the purser's desk.

There was also a report a while back from a Celebrity ship that in response to a query about the meeting location a very helpful crew member printed a sign reading AA MEETING in huge letters and put it on a stand outside the allocated conference room. So much for what the second 'A' stands for...

I wouldn't presume to know your level of struggle, but I think whatever diverts your attention on land will work at sea. There will be plenty of people who don't drink alcohol for whatever reason. Seek them out and have a good sober time. Good luck to you.

Thanks! Sometimes, after a few years, it's easy to forget what an amazing thing it is. Just over eleven years ago I was looking at doorways to sleep in and trying to figure out how to end my life without much physical pain. Now, I'm worrying about if a meeting will be held on a freaking cruise ship! I'm just lucky I 'wandered' into a meeting. :rolleyes:

Congratulations! You've saved your own life.

The meetings on ships are not necessarily private and about anyone can wander in or hang around the edges. For some folks it might be the first exposure they've ever had to a meeting and they might be very much in need.

You might do some one or several a very good deed by having a chat.

Congratulations on your sobriety! 11 years is an amazing accomplishment!

My husband had the same worry on our last cruise, and although he did venture to a meeting once, no one else was there. :(

So instead we actually just stayed away from the main pool on the Lido deck, fine by me since we had a very nice, relaxing vacation. As a fail safe you can always disable your on board spending account. Yes it's extreme, but it can be done, and then you wouldn't be able to get drinks.

Also, virgin drinks are a good option if they're not a trigger for you. I know for some people, it just makes them want the real thing more.

We are sailing on the Silhouette on Dec. 1. Sure wish we were on the same one, as my husband attends an AA meeting every day of every sailing so you would never be the only one. Our last 10 have been on Celebrity and the Daily has Friends of Bill W listed every day, with time and place. I sometimes attend as an alanon and meet others like me so we can connect on our own. Sometimes he is the only one, other times there are many. We have met some great people through the meetings.

Relax! Let Go, and you know the rest.

You can do it -- my husband quit after many years and a few cruises where our bar bill was outrageous! Anyway when we resumed cruising post-drinking, at first he would order the virgin cocktails to feel festive. Now he no longer needs the crutch. However - he's become quite addicted to trivia and all our schedule needs to reflect it. Never gone to a meeting although I've seen them posted usually near the pursar's desk.

CONGRATS on Eleven Years!

Wait until you see the daily planner - usually Friends of BillW meetings are in the afternoon, right after the Pub Crawl - always cracks me up.

On all of our numerous cruises, I have always noticed and mentioned to my DH the fact of how many non-drinkers we see and meet on our ships. Look around the MDR and see all of the adult soda drinkers, along with other activities and venues (yeah, I am curious and nosey) :D You will see after the first day that drinking is not rampant or a #1 priority for the majority on cruise ships.

And yes, you can get Virgin fruity drinks.

Put your worries aside......20+ years of sobriety here, and I don't ever feel like a party-pooper, or outcast on a cruise. No one even notices, plus, I have seen some amazing sunrises! I have NEVER had a "Help I Need A Meeting" feeling on a cruise. Stop fretting.

It is easier to stay sober than to get sober....;) You are going to have a Great Time!

Since you will be on a Celebrity cruise, do NOT look in Celebrity Today (the printed daily program) for time and place of meetings. It is X policy not to print any passenger-led activities in the program. There will be a noteboard or whiteboard listing FOB meetings--along with FOD, religious services, mah jongg, quiliting et al (and not in any sort of organized or legible format)--somewhere near the purser's desk.

A HUGE help! Thanks so much!!:)

Archived