Hair Care on Board

PopsiB

Hi HAL Cruisers,

I'm sure I have read somewhere on this site that you cannot have ordinary hair dryers and must use those provided in cabins.

This we can live with however, can anyone tell me if you are able to take the Carmen electric curlers and Hair Straighteners on board Eurodam?

Many Thanks:confused:

Hi HAL Cruisers,

I'm sure I have read somewhere on this site that you cannot have ordinary hair dryers and must use those provided in cabins.

This we can live with however, can anyone tell me if you are able to take the Carmen electric curlers and Hair Straighteners on board Eurodam?

Many Thanks:confused:

I have always used my own electric curlers and bring my own hair dryer in case I don't like the in-cabin one. No problems, except there is not outlet for them in the bathroom. You will need to use the sole outlet in the cabin itself at the desk area - I think it is also where a mirror is always located. There is usually one 110 and one 220 outlet and sometimes the room hair dryer is a 220 so that frees up the 110 for other things - but I may be getting ships mixed up here.

You can bring all your hair care items.

You may use your own hair dryer assuming the cords/dryer are in good, safe condition and your straightener, as well. :)

Hi Sail,

Is this something new? In the past, potentially high powered private hair dryers were not allowed.

Scott & Karen

Hi Sail,

Is this something new? In the past, potentially high powered private hair dryers were not allowed.

Scott & Karen

Not so.

Guests are permitted to use their private hair dryers.

I've always taken my own hair dryer especially if on a Vista class ship. Those dryers are hard wired into that crappy triangle cabinet in the desk in ocean view rooms. I don't mind the dryers on the "R class ships that you find in the drawer.

I've always taken my own hair dryer especially if on a Vista class ship. Those dryers are hard wired into that crappy triangle cabinet in the desk in ocean view rooms.

IIRC, that varies, even within the Vista class. I remember the dryer was hard wired on the Westerdam, but I don't remember it that way on the Noordam or Zuiderdam.

The hair dryer is permanently screwed down in the vanity drawer in Neptune Suites on Westerdam, Noordam, Oosterdam..... I don't recall on Zuiderdam as its been years since we sailed her. It is also permanently attached in the drawer on Signature ships.

Our recent cruise on Veendam, I was happy to find it was placed in the drawer and able to be freely removed for us.

I am cruising on the Zuiderdam in two weeks and now wondering if anyone can tell me if that ship has the hair dryers attached to the bathroom wall. All the HAL ships that I have sailed on always had a regular hair dryer in a drawer in the vanity area. Now Im wondering if I need to pack one from home? Hadn't even thought about it until reading this thread.

Branching out a bit from the OP question, but adding to the topic header in case anyone wants to know: I have had my hair highlighted on several HAL ships and have been very happy with the results every time - fair price. Tried a hair-cut trim on our last long voyage and it was one of the best hair cuts ever - a young man from the Philippines, again a fair price compared to US - out west. This is now my at sea day special - to have a hair highlighting at some point during the cruise.

I am cruising on the Zuiderdam in two weeks and now wondering if anyone can tell me if that ship has the hair dryers attached to the bathroom wall. All the HAL ships that I have sailed on always had a regular hair dryer in a drawer in the vanity area. Now Im wondering if I need to pack one from home? Hadn't even thought about it until reading this thread.

There are dryers in the drawers on all the ships.

There may still be some on the bathroom wall, as well, but I think most of them were removed at drydocks when the bathrooms were redone on the older ships.

I would estimate the drawer hair dryers are approximately 1800 watts.

All the cabins on all the ships have a regular hair dryer. Some work better than others; some are hard-wired, while others aren't. But there is one in the desk.

The ships that still have hair dryers attached to the bathroom wall, also have a real hair dryer.

I, for one, hope they never remove those old wall-mounted bathroom hairdryers. They are not only very useful for clearing off the steamed-up bathroom mirror, there's an electrical outlet in them. That outlet can be reached by short people (like me), and can be used for an electric toothbrush.

I am very, very picky about hairdryers, but the one I had on the Noordam 2 years ago in a Veranda cabin (not a suite) was very good. It did have a concentrator on it that couldn't be removed (as I recall), but did such a good job on my hair that I started using the concentrator on my dryer at home.

Archived