Beginners Questions

ngjarman

This will be our first venture onto Seabourn as well so this thread has been quite informative. I saw that some wines are part of the inclusive package, but I am more of a vodka martini drinker. I enjoy getting to the party first. I'm not personally fond of Greg Goose or Belvedere nor would I expect them to be part of the inclusive package, but what about the mid range Kettle or Absolut?

I also had a question regarding the previous posters response regarding their preference to the main dining room over the two other restaurants. any particular reason?

This is going to be an interesting experience for us as we have sailed on mid sized ships, and our first premier line as well.

This will be our first venture onto Seabourn as well so this thread has been quite informative. I saw that some wines are part of the inclusive package, but I am more of a vodka martini drinker. I enjoy getting to the party first. I'm not personally fond of Greg Goose or Belvedere nor would I expect them to be part of the inclusive package, but what about the mid range Kettle or Absolut?

I also had a question regarding the previous posters response regarding their preference to the main dining room over the two other restaurants. any particular reason?

This is going to be an interesting experience for us as we have sailed on mid sized ships, and our first premier line as well.

The only thing you need to decide in advance is what you want in the mini-bar set-up in your suite. The listed choices are limited, but just add your preferred brands in the 'notes' part e.g. 'Kettle orvAbsolut vodka if available'. Wheng you arrive in your suite just check the mini-bar before your steward(ess) leaves, and if there is, e.g., Smirnoff, ask if they can look into it for you. I had asked for Bombay Sapphire gin and there was a bottle of vodka. Our stewardess apologised that she would not be able to correct this before sail away (spirits in bond until underway) but by the time I was ready for a pre-dinner drink my gin, tonic and lime / lemon slices were waiting.

This set-up is in addition to any wines you want with dinner, or on deck / in a lounge. You would like a vodka-based cocktail? Just ask. By the third time you ask for the same drink from the same barman it will probably be handed to you when you walk in! Take the opportunity to try something different, too. You won't pay any extra unless you go for the VERY top brands.

Where you eat is just a matter of personal preference; we think it's difficult to beat breakfast outdoors in the Colonnade, lunch either in the same location or at the Sky Grill, and dinner in the Restaurant, but we did enjoy a tasting menu in Restaurant 2, and plan to change venues more often on our next, longer, cruise.

Actually, the best thing is that it is so relaxed that you don't have to fret over such decisions, as every choice is a pretty good one - venues, food, cocktails, snacks, bar ...

Absolutboy20 - you will probably be surprised, as we were, at the choice of upmarket spirits available on board, as opposed to the less than brilliant wines (some perfectly drinkable, but not top-notch). We were pleased to find Remy Martin cognac, several pretty good single malts and Grey Goose vodka, which is extremely expensive in the UK. Plus various others. It is a treat to try different cocktails before dinner, and a nice snifter after dinner.

we think it's difficult to beat breakfast outdoors in the Colonnade, lunch either in the same location.

Totally agree, I thought the breakfast and lunches at the Colonnade were very very good and missed the lunches when we were on excursions, a couple of days we tried to get back just before 2:30 so we would make the lunch. And not to save money, the food choices were exceptional IMO.

Enjoyed mixing the MDR and the Colonnade for dinner but don't miss the special evenings in the MDR like the Chef's Special if they have one.

Thank you all for the very helpful information. I read through these boards last night and it appears I am on the Odyssey right before her drydock for the retrofit to add suites. The rule of thumb I had heard was to not book a cruise right before or after a drydock but we will have to see how it goes as the room and plane tickets are booked.

Even with the drydock news and 30 hour travel time, I'm very excited about trying a new line and an area we never thought of visiting before!

Thank you all for the very helpful information. I read through these boards last night and it appears I am on the Odyssey right before her drydock for the retrofit to add suites. The rule of thumb I had heard was to not book a cruise right before or after a drydock but we will have to see how it goes as the room and plane tickets are booked.

Even with the drydock news and 30 hour travel time, I'm very excited about trying a new line and an area we never thought of visiting before!

In terms of meals and drinks, there is a lot of choice on Seabourn. Four restaurants, four bars and in-suite dining. Different people tend to like different things. We usually have breakfast in the Colonnade, lunch at the Patio or the Colonnade and dinner in the MDR although sometimes, just for fun, we mix it up. You will soon find a 'routine' that works for you. The great thing is that it really is up to you. The only constraint is Restaurant 2 which requires a booking.

On the opposite end, along with vodka, I am a huge water drinker. I am one who has a carafe of water next to my bed stand to drink throughout the night. I know the water on board is perfectly potable, but for the convenience factor I like having it in bottles. I am assuming that is included, but is it the tiny bottles that you receive similar in size to the glass bottle seltzers or the typical 20 ounces? Again, first time cruising on this line and I'm used to carting a whole case of bottled water on board HAL for the trip.

On the opposite end, along with vodka, I am a huge water drinker. I am one who has a carafe of water next to my bed stand to drink throughout the night. I know the water on board is perfectly potable, but for the convenience factor I like having it in bottles. I am assuming that is included, but is it the tiny bottles that you receive similar in size to the glass bottle seltzers or the typical 20 ounces? Again, first time cruising on this line and I'm used to carting a whole case of bottled water on board HAL for the trip.

You have 1.5 liter bottles one flat one sparkling. Just ask for more if you need more.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

I prefer the small bottles because I drink right from the bottle. So, on a port day, I just go to the table by the exit and get several for my suite. Or just ask your stewardess. Be assured you don't have to bring any onboard.

The general rule is that if they carry it and you want it, than you can have it! And, if you ask for something they don't carry it, you may well find that it appears during the cruise, having been loaded in a port. There really is little limitation to what they will try to do for you. That is what is so relaxing.

On the opposite end, along with vodka, I am a huge water drinker. I am one who has a carafe of water next to my bed stand to drink throughout the night.

So do we. There were large bottles of water in the cabin but small bottles were more convenient and I was getting them from the gym. Our stewardess promptly supplied us with more small bottles than we could drink. Also when you get off and come back from an excursion there are small bottles there, you can grab as many as you need. You will not have a problem getting water

In Katakolon the Ruby Princess was docked beside us and everyone was getting back on it carrying cartons of water. Obviously they were having to buy it on the ship.

Baychilla and Wripro,

I choose not to believe that ole ST/Zorro/NYK is up to his tricks after suffering the opprobrium he so richly deserved.

No, I bet that this particular Colada is fishing for e-mail addresses so that in turn he can spam the witless with investment opportunities in Nigeria and/or counterfeit meds. That's what con artists do as they have no regard for cc guidelines or other social constructs.

At least I hope I am right...

Happy sailing!

Hi absolutboy20, we're doing the same cruise and this is our first time sailing on Seabourn. We did Hong Kong to Singapore a few years ago on the Azamara Quest (Atlantis charter) and had a blast. We're anxiously awaiting the trip and look forward to making some new friends. See you on-board!

If you like Perrier or San Pellegrino, you can request that for your minibar as well. Those brands are provided in 750ml glass bottles.

Oh... you are doing the Atlantis charter... SO jealous!

My guy friends have been trying to drag me along on an Atlantis voyage forever but the idea of doing it on Celebrity (which most of our group prefers) I keep balking at. I told them I'd do this one since it was on Seabourn but couldn't ever get them to make a solid plan.

You will have SO much fun... really good ports too!!!

Jenidallas,

This will be interesting for us as the charters we have been on were on ships of roughly 2,000 guests, so cutting that to 1/4 of the guests should make for a relaxing atmosphere, but don't know how that translates for the theme parties. Should be interesting.

By your handle, I'm judging you're in Dallas, and if any of your friends are named Nick, Greg, or Ken from that area, they seem to know EVERYONE.

Looks like you're leaving on a cruise yourself in a few days so wishing you a great bon voyage! =)

Archived