Embarkation with PTSD - Specail Assistance Desk

bannerboxer

Has anyone used the special assistance desk for embarkation for something other than wheelchair use??

How does it work? Will we get on the ship without waiting in the huge waiting area?

My fiance and I and another couple will be on the Carnival Victory in January. Sailing out of Miami. My fiance suffers horribly from PTSD and has huge fears of crowds where people stand behind him.

We are choosing to leave his service dog at home so I know the cruise itself is going to be trying, but with the 3 of us we hope to try to make my fiance feel safe enough to enjoy himself.

This will be our 3rd cruise with carnival but the last 2 where before he had his injury and has since developed his PTSD. I just want to know what to expect. I want to be able to get him through the mess and on the ship so we can find somewhere where he will feel safe while everyone is boarding. I have contacted the Guest Service Dept, and they have it in his file that he requires special assistance, and all she said was when we get to port that day ask for the special assistance desk.

I want to get a better understanding of how the process works? Where will we go? How long do you usually wait and where? The biggest concern is the lines, and the crowds on the busy busy day.

On port days we can go when the crowds arent as bad etc, but embarkation is hard to avoid.

quote.gif

From Carnival's Special Needs page: Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working dogs onboard; a working/ service dog is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We do not allow guests to sail with therapy/companion dog, service dogs in training, or pets.

I would consider bringing the dog....if it's a registered service dog, why have that extra stress-reliever out of the picture?

And I would second the suggestion to come after 1 pm, we have come at 1:30 and it was practically walk right on, and rooms are ready by then so you can go right to your room at that time if you wish to get away from people. You can have a more private cruise if you want, there are plenty of areas of the ship that are quieter. Mid January or later usually means less families, generally an older clientele. Less hustle and bustle. We usually cruise that time of year so we know.

Did you get a balcony cabin? If you can afford one and can upgrade if you haven't gotten one, look into it. I find it very very peaceful, calming out there. Might be very beneficial to your fiancé to have an escape area like this available at any time.

Thanks for the suggestions Racegirl!

We are cruising with another couple, and want to be able to try to do some excursions and other things that we dont want his dog along.

Maybe we will just sleep in and come later in the afternoon to board.

I was hoping someone has gone through the special assistance desk without the use of a wheelchair that kinda knew what to expect.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Once you meet up with an assistance person they will expedite getting you to your rooms. If you don't see one head toward where they are sending wheelchair users or to the lines for suites. But there will most likely be boarding day crowds at the elevators so check everything you can and walk up to your cabins. Be prepared for muster call. He cannot get out of it but it is short and few lines require people to wear or bring their vests anymore so it's not such a big crush. There will be the high pitched warnings during crew drills during the cruise so make sure he understands those are for crew only. They always seem to know when I'm putting my mascara on for that damn siren...

Do bring any prescriptions he'll need and I lock mine in the in cabin safe. Enjoy.

Thanks for the suggestions Racegirl!

We are cruising with another couple, and want to be able to try to do some excursions and other things that we dont want his dog along.

Maybe we will just sleep in and come later in the afternoon to board.

I was hoping someone has gone through the special assistance desk without the use of a wheelchair that kinda knew what to expect.

Thanks again!

Have a great trip! I totally understand your questions with all this change for you as we are experiencing a similar situation: this is our first cruise since my husband's disability, a severe stroke a year ago. But we aren't letting it slow us down (much). Life is to be lived to the fullest, our fullest gauge has changed a bit, but we are still going to keep on keeping on as best we can! And appreciate each day with a bit more thoughtfulness and gratitude.

Hi,

my DH suffers from PTSD. Not to the degree of your situation. Get to your muster station early. Find out if you will need to go on deck. Get out there and you can be in the back row. Each of you has to check in but if you talk to an officer you should be allowed out of the staging area so you can stand on deck and wait.

Some ships make you just go to a large muster area again get there early and get to the back of the waiting area. We usually can manage to get somewhere in public areas that do not have many people behind us.

I can tell you that after lots of years my DH is getting better....we have even sat in the middle of the theater during some of the shows.

Enjoy the cruise and hug your friends for helping you.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive this but I wanted to know how he did. My dad has agreed to come on a Carnival cruise with me this year. He's a 70 year old Vietnam veteran that spent 40+ years driving a semi truck to cope with his PTSD. My mom passed away last October and he told me he wanted to go because she always wanted to. So of course, we are a bit concerned! How was the muster drill? Did you guys do okay at embarkation?

Thanks in advanced!

Sorry to revive this but I wanted to know how he did. My dad has agreed to come on a Carnival cruise with me this year. He's a 70 year old Vietnam veteran that spent 40+ years driving a semi truck to cope with his PTSD. My mom passed away last October and he told me he wanted to go because she always wanted to. So of course, we are a bit concerned! How was the muster drill? Did you guys do okay at embarkation?

Thanks in advanced!

He did actually pretty well. He was probably the worst on the plane out, but managed with his medicine.

Embarkation went pretty good. we had FTTF pass so that helped avoid the long lines and crowds.

When they called muster we just went to the nearest carnival employee and asked for the disability muster station and we were directed to that deck. He was more nervous about the unknown but once we got to where the disability muster was he was ok. It was on the deck where all the pictures are displayed, and we stood in our own little picture cubby.

Note that carnival DOES muster outside on the decks.at all costs... DO NOT go there. we did that prior to my fiances Injury and while it was cramped and horrible n hot and ppl crowded around u literally... We managed then but he would NEVER manage that now.

Good luck on your cruise. I recommend a balcony where he can enjoy the sea on his own as well.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

Muster drills on Carnival are held in lounges, not out on deck. Just get there early and get a seat along the wall. EM

Depends on the ship class. Most of the Fantasy class start out in lounges on 9 then walk up to the Lido (10). One muster is on the lido itself.

The other classes meet at the lifeboat loading areas.

Life jackets remain in your cabin.

HAL has muster outside.

Princess has muster inside lounges.

A few comments here: I travel, work and live with a Service Dog. Canine Companions for Independence and the Veterans Admin. are training SD's for PTSD patients. These dogs perform tasks for the handler and make EVERYTHING about their lives manageable. It's a miracle to watch them. They do have public access and are true heroes!

My dog performs a different set of tasks for me and has made cruising so much easier and more fun!

My first Service Dog had completed 15 cruises before she retired and now my Successor Service Dog will be on his 5th cruise this Saturday [with two more in the works.] :)

I highly recommend that your Service Dog be part of everything that you do. The more you utilize them, the more of a partnership you create and soon NOTHING feels the same or is as easy without your dog!

Emotional support dogs do not have public access. Your dog MUST perform a task for you.

The trained SD has been highly socialized and are used to having crowds around them, everywhere, including trains, boats, airplanes, elevators, escalators, restaurants, gangways, tender boats, etc., etc. They don't bark, lick, scratch, growl or do anything untoward while out in public. They're invisible.

Life MUST be planned well when walking or wheeling with a dog. You want to avoid as much and as many feet as you can and you want to protect your dog, always. So, you arrive early and leave late or earlier to avoid the aforementioned. You unselfishly think of your four legged assistant before yourself, if you can! They make your life so much better and you care for them as if they were your 2 year old child who travels with you EVERYWHERE you go, because dogs never grow older, emotionally, than 2 years old, you have to remember that sometimes they need to be reminded that they can't sniff or go over to be patted until you say so!!!!!