17 year old joining us on cruise

tony_g51181

I recently added my gf 17 year old brother to join us on our cruise I have heard various things about being allowed to go without his parents. I asked Carnival tonight and was told its recommended to have a letter giving permission! Now she stated not required but recommended anyone ever been through this situation before?

I recently added my gf 17 year old brother to join us on our cruise I have heard various things about being allowed to go without his parents. I asked Carnival tonight and was told its recommended to have a letter giving permission! Now she stated not required but recommended anyone ever been through this situation before?

Yes you need a letter from one of your parents, and it must be notarized.

official word

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3NpZC9HUjQ3Qy10bA%3D%3D

I would not sweat it.

you really should have a letter signed by both parents authorizing you to travel with this minor. Depending on how you are getting to your cruise you may require it for that as well. A couple of years ago I took 2 of my daughter's teen friends with us on a cruise. We had no issue on the ship but at the airport we had to show proof we were ok to travel wit the kids.

We frequently take our Grandchildren on cruises with us. I have never been asked on the ship before for a letter but have been asked coming back to the ship from a port several times (by the port-not the ship) for that letter. I always get a notarized letter, make my children have passports because we had a fellow cruiser need said passport after being injured and having to fly home and have their insurance card and a letter stating I can make medical decisions on that child's behalf without parents present. Is this all required by Carnival --no --but obviously different ports require different things. I like to be prepared. Especially with young ones around.

We frequently take our Grandchildren on cruises with us. I have never been asked on the ship before for a letter but have been asked coming back to the ship from a port several times (by the port-not the ship) for that letter. I always get a notarized letter, make my children have passports because we had a fellow cruiser need said passport after being injured and having to fly home and have their insurance card and a letter stating I can make medical decisions on that child's behalf without parents present. Is this all required by Carnival --no --but obviously different ports require different things. I like to be prepared. Especially with young ones around.

I am curious what ports those would have been. I have never heard of that before.

We took my fiances 16 yearold sister on our first cruise... no flight so no problem. I think we had a hand written note from her mom but nothing notarized... no issues ever came up. Smooth sailing as they say! Now shes almost 20 so no worries anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Archived