9 Ships!!!

sbt518

We always talk about passenger load but the crew that are allowed time off would probably equal another ships worth of passengers. If they average 3500 per ship then the passenger and crew total would be 35,000 ish. That's kind of crazy if you think about it.

When we were on the Epic earlier this year our steward told us that there were 1,700 crew onboard.

gary

Few or Lots of ships in a port is of no concern to us. Things are what they are. We just go with our plans for the port and have a good time whatever. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Those interested in booking private excursions most certainly need to take in to consideration the number of ships in port or passengers in port to be exact. There are only so many day sails and cars to rent at the pier will all be reserved on a busy ship day. So if your plans are to do something such as these on a day when lots of ships are in a port then I would suggest pre-booking as far ahead as possible.

There are 8 ships in port when we are there in January. Our plan was to head to the butterfly farm and Le Galion, as we will have a toddler in tow. Are we going to be able to find a taxi to take us out? Will we be able to return easily? It seems like all the ships get there around the same time, but we leave the earliest.

There are 8 ships in port when we are there in January. Our plan was to head to the butterfly farm and Le Galion, as we will have a toddler in tow. Are we going to be able to find a taxi to take us out? Will we be able to return easily? It seems like all the ships get there around the same time, but we leave the earliest.

You will be able to get a taxi there at the pier with no difficulties other than a long line up. Your return from Le Galion might be a little bit of an issue but worse case scenario you just walk 350 yards or so to the main rd that also goes to Orient Beach and flag down a taxi there.

karysa,

The 350 yard walk is closer to getting out to the main road from the Butterfly Farm or Beachside Stables.

From le Galion Beach, itself, it's probably close to 1,000 yards, on the order of half a mile.

gary

Confused a little Gary. Isn't the Butterfly Farm on a main road into Orient? Thanks.:)

Confused a little Gary. Isn't the Butterfly Farm on a main road into Orient? Thanks.:)

Yes, but ...

From the main road up that side of the island there is a turnoff with signs for Orient, Butterfly and Bayside.

That road splits shortly, with a turn to the left (North) taking you to Orient Beach, and a right turn towards Butterfly, Bayside and le Galion.

To walk out to that split to catch the taxi traffic returning from Orient is on the order of 300 yards or so from the Butterfly Farm, but le Galion Beach is quite a bit beyond that, a good 700 yards or so.

th_maporient.jpg

(click)

gary

Yes, but ...

From the main road up that side of the island there is a turnoff with signs for Orient, Butterfly and Bayside.

That road splits shortly, with a turn to the left (North) taking you to Orient Beach, and a right turn towards Butterfly, Bayside and le Galion.

To walk out to that split to catch the taxi traffic returning from Orient is on the order of 300 yards or so from the Butterfly Farm, but le Galion Beach is quite a bit beyond that, a good 700 yards or so.

th_maporient.jpg

(click)

gary

Gotcha. Perhaps a visit to the beach and then the Butterfly Farm is better although the butterflies fly more in the morning apparently.

Thanks Gary!:)

We did an island tour the first time we went to St Maarten on a cruise ship........LOVE this island. We knew we wanted to go back and spent a week staying at Divi Little Bay--AWESOMENESS!!

We rented our car from a kiosk at the resort (I think is open to the public) and just wanted to mention that you might want to check with your car insurance to see if you are covered through that or your credit card. Our car insurance doesn't cover us out of the country, so we had to make sure we were covered a different way.

One thing I will say about St Maarten, we did a boat tour of several snorkel spots including a mud bath on an island, and as gorgeous as the island is, the snorkling was some of the least interesting I have experienced in the Caribbean....none of the gorgeous vistas when you look beneath the water. Just kinda one color rock formations with some pretty fish. If you can snorkel at a different island on your cruise, that is my recommendation. It is what we'll be doing!

:search for Bob Cass in this forum-you go out in a boat with no more than 13 people for a day of snorkeling,lunch on the beach, drinks on boat, etc.

You also get to see the planes at Maho from the water.

He has a "most popular tour" for cruisers.

Booked for November based on great reviews around the web!

http://www.soualigadestinations.com

:)

If I may ask a slightly off topic question: how were you able to tell how many ships would be in a specific port on a certain date? Is there a website that tracks this?

Thanks in advance! Hope you have a great cruise! :)

At this site you are able to search most all ships and ports as to the who is in which port each day.

http://ports.cruisett.com/

I second the motion for the Bob Cass speedboat excursion. It is an easy walk to his boat. With 7 ships in St. Martin on our last cruise, it was heaven to be able to have so much fun touring the island----by speedboat. We snorkeled, stopped to have lunch on land at Grand Case, and watched the planes at Maho fly over us-- from the water. No traffic, no hassle.

We are doing the same excursion over again when we are in St Martin next spring.

Bob Cass--- best excursion! No worries about a bumpy ride-- hubby and I are both seniors, and he will seat you at an appropriate spot in the boat. Loved this excursion!

I can put up with crowded but that is ridiculous.

It is so not worth leaving the ship with so many ships there.

We've been a great many times to St. Martin and just getting the ferry to downtown will be impossible.

NOT worth it with those crowds. :( Sad.

I can put up with crowded but that is ridiculous.

It is so not worth leaving the ship with so many ships there.

We've been a great many times to St. Martin and just getting the ferry to downtown will be impossible.

NOT worth it with those crowds. :( Sad.

Downtown would be one of the places to avoid. St. Maarten has a lot more to offer than shopping and a polluted beach. Avoiding the mega touristy places or a day sail from near the pier would be the way to go on a 9 ship day.

there will be five ships when we dock. hopefully not too crowded.

I would get off the ship if there were 10 ships in port.

I'm on vacation!!!:)

I with you and not just because I love St. Maarten.

There will be 7 ships, with almost 23,000 passengers, when we visit St. Maarten in November.

We did a tour of the whole island some years ago and this time our plan is to go to Marigot in the morning and after lunch return to Philipsburg and walk back to the ship along the boardwalk. Based on the information on this thread I am not so sure this will be a good idea. I am concerned if the number of people and the crowds will make logistics difficult to say nothing of the crowded streets. Will there be taxis available? Perhaps problems finding a taxi to return from Marigot? I wonder if buses would be a practical alternative?

I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done a similar excursion 'on their own' when there have been over 20,000 people doing similar things

Archived