9 Ships!!!

sbt518

I just checked and found out there will be NINE ships in St. Martin when we are there in December. :eek::eek::eek:

Last year we did Bernard's Tour and loved it.

This year we were looking to do something different, but not sure what.

Now with a port load of 25,000 we might just stay on the ship that day.

Has anyone been there with this big of a crowd?

What are the best things to do to avoid crowds?

We are two adults, no kids, like the beach, outdoors, beer and are pretty much fun loving people.

We do not like crowds either.

Last time in St Maartin [been there three times.] We took a taxi to Divi Little Bay Resort.[$10 each way] We rented chairs for $5pp and found a shade tree. We ate in the restaurant and they had changing/rest rooms we could use. I had read about the resort on CC. I emailed the resort first to ask permission and ask if there was a charge. [nope] There were not many cruisers there. If you look from the cruise port across the great Bay there is a peninsula on the other side. That is where the Divi resort is. I have read a couple of people sy it is a man made beach. [they brought in the sand] It may be--but, it was still nice.

Here is a link. View post # 47 and #51

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38246234&highlight=divi#post38246234

I just checked and found out there will be NINE ships in St. Martin when we are there in December. :eek::eek::eek:

If I may ask a slightly off topic question: how were you able to tell how many ships would be in a specific port on a certain date? Is there a website that tracks this?

Thanks in advance! Hope you have a great cruise! :)

If I may ask a slightly off topic question: how were you able to tell how many ships would be in a specific port on a certain date? Is there a website that tracks this?

Thanks in advance! Hope you have a great cruise! :)

There are a few different websites.

I googled cruise ships st. Martin port or something like that and got the website for Port of St. Martin

http://portofstmaarten.com/schedule.htm

But to find other ones you can google cruise ship calendar or similar and this is one of them that comes up

http://ports.cruisett.com/

We are two adults, no kids, like the beach, outdoors, beer and are pretty much fun loving people.

We've stayed on SXM when that many cruisers arrived and learned where not to be (Orient Beach and obviously Philipsburg). Because it's so busy our first choice would be to just get off the island! :eek: On a catamaran though, check out the Golden Eagle daysail, even if you don't snorkel it's a fabulous day on the water. They are docked between you and town so you could walk around for a couple hours and then after returning to the ship to change head for the boat. Excellent crew and great lunch.

sxmsailing.com

If that doesn't work for you I would grab a taxi to Friar's or Happy bay or another that's closer the driver recommends that has a beach bar and that taxis will return to later.

I knew they were expanding the cruise pier but 9 ships is ridiculous! I'd shy away from Maho and Orient Beach. Maybe Dawn's Beach will get less attraction. Bay Rouge on the western side past Sandy Ground might be an alternative for less crowds if Gus's or Raymonds are still open. Or venture up to the lolos in Grand Case.

We've stayed on SXM when that many cruisers arrived and learned where not to be (Orient Beach and obviously Philipsburg). Because it's so busy our first choice would be to just get off the island! :eek: On a catamaran though, check out the Golden Eagle daysail, even if you don't snorkel it's a fabulous day on the water. They are docked between you and town so you could walk around for a couple hours and then after returning to the ship to change head for the boat. Excellent crew and great lunch.

sxmsailing.com

If that doesn't work for you I would grab a taxi to Friar's or Happy bay or another that's closer the driver recommends that has a beach bar and that taxis will return to later.

We love snorkeling, will check this out!

Definitely an excellent day. The snorkeling may be a bit better in the BVI and other areas but still a great day and they have different packages. Their snorkel, sail, and sand day looks great. W've done the full and half-day sails. Sorry I gave you the wrong site, it's sailingsxm.com

HOLY CROWDED Port! 9 ships in St. Maarten AND one is the Oasis plus Carnival's largest ship!!! NO offense, but would not want to be in that madhouse. I'm guessing some will have to tender in. We did that the first two times we went to STM, not bad, if you don't mind tendering. Maybe the tenders will drop you off right in town so that you don't have to walk or take the water taxi. Might just be a good thing.

HOLY CROWDED Port! 9 ships in St. Maarten AND one is the Oasis plus Carnival's largest ship!!! NO offense, but would not want to be in that madhouse. I'm guessing some will have to tender in. We did that the first two times we went to STM, not bad, if you don't mind tendering. Maybe the tenders will drop you off right in town so that you don't have to walk or take the water taxi. Might just be a good thing.

With 9 ships in port, town will be a nightmare. I would much rather be at the pier. It would be much easiratio rent a car and head north to Anse Marcel or Grand Case. The boardwalk will be a zoo. Can't imagine travelling that far to spend the day in wall to wall people. That would be awful to me.

Thanks for posting this -- I was about to post the same/similar question. I'll be on the HAL Westerdam in January -- there will be 7 ships (1 is RCI's Oasis) in port with a load of 23102 people... Crazy. ---- there are more people in St. Martin on the day we'll be there than there are in Ft. Lauderdale on the day we leave.

Unfortunately, i think we're just staying on the ship.-- it's just not worth fighting the crowds. although I'm dying to go to that beach near the airport and watch the planes land.

sxmsailing.com

To get to Happy Bay by land you need to walk the 10-15 minute walk from Friar's Bay on a rather unkept path. Beautiful Beach though.

No way that I would rely on a taxi to pick me up from a remote beach when there are 9 ships in port. That would be taking a major chance IMO.

I think we will stay on the ship also.

Now I just hope everyone else gets off the ship!

Take a taxi to Grand Case enjoy the ocean and lunch and taxi back around 2.

Dawn Beach is a close beach that would be good on a port day like this. Go early and come back around 2.

We were in the port with 7 ships in January and we rented a car and went to Marigot and then to Grand Case and then to Le Galion beach ( because of swells at Grand Case that day) and then back over to Grand Case for lunch. It was a great day.

Cruisers tend to stay in town, and visit Orient and Maho. I wouldn't rely on a taxi for a remote beach but Dawn, Le Galion, Little Bay, Grand Case or even Anse Marcel would be doable for those that don't like crowds and bumper to bumper traffic.

I would protest to the cruiseline if I thought that my best option to enjoy my day in the port that they are taking me to is to stay on the ship!:eek:

Take a taxi to Grand Case enjoy the ocean and lunch and taxi back around 2.

Dawn Beach is a close beach that would be good on a port day like this. Go early and come back around 2.

We were in the port with 7 ships in January and we rented a car and went to Marigot and then to Grand Case and then to Le Galion beach ( because of swells at Grand Case that day) and then back over to Grand Case for lunch. It was a great day.

When you rented the car did you reserve in advance or are there places at the pier?

We've only been to St. Martin once and did Bernard's tour so I didn't look around the pier for car rentals.

When you rented the car did you reserve in advance or are there places at the pier?

We've only been to St. Martin once and did Bernard's tour so I didn't look around the pier for car rentals.

Yes we rented from Hertz at the pier twice in 2013. Book early if there are lots of ships in.

Thanks for the website info SBT518. I checked and it looks like 7 ships for us. Our cruise is a full ship Jazz theme cruise, so it may be a day we decide to stay on the ship and enjoy the pool and the music. Too bad because we've never been to St. Marteen.

You really don't have to stay on the ship. St. Maarten is many cruisers favorite island so by staying on the ship you will be missing out on a great port. Go early and come back around 2 and then laze around the pool.

Now I'm thinking of going to Grand Case either by taxi or rental car. Probably taxi since we will only be going to one spot and it seems we could get a restaurant to call a taxi to take us back easily.

I read a bunch of older posts on it last night. But I'm still a bit unclear on how the chair rental works. Do we just ask at a restaurant or at the resort or just go directly to the Petite Plage beach and there will be someone there?

I've posted here before about a day with nine ships in port.

It took me a bit to find the post, as it was back in 2005, and, interestingly, the passenger count was report to be 27,000.

This was well before the Mega-pier was added, so many of those ships tendered passengers ashore, usually to the Little Pier in downtown Philipsburg.

Here's a link to the post.

th_9ships.jpg

(click)

gary

I've posted here before about a day with nine ships in port.

It took me a bit to find the post, as it was back in 2005, and, interestingly, the passenger count was report to be 27,000.

This was well before the Mega-pier was added, so many of those ships tendered passengers ashore, usually to the Little Pier in downtown Philipsburg.

Here's a link to the post.

th_9ships.jpg

(click)

gary

We always talk about passenger load but the crew that are allowed time off would probably equal another ships worth of passengers. If they average 3500 per ship then the passenger and crew total would be 35,000 ish. That's kind of crazy if you think about it.

Archived