might do the Jewel afterall

DH and I wanted to do the Jewel transatlantic since the beginning but the ship seemed to sell out overnight and the only thing abvailble was inside cabins at much more than we are paying for outside, longer cruise on Celebrity: well now it appears things have opened up a little and we are considering the Jewel. I am so excited as it is just what we wanted. Will keep everyone informed: you may not care, but you will have to listen or read anyway. LOL

NMNita

That sounds great!!! I wish I could go. The more people from this board who go, the more reviews and info we will get. I can read the reviews and feel like I was there.

Hope it works out for you.

Jeanne

We are planning to sail on the Jewel for our 30th Annivesary. We have sailed on the Golden and Grand Princess, but this time we are going to try the NCL. Going to throw in the Deluxe Anniversary package too!

Not only would this be a blessing to us, we would be sailing and celebrating our 47th wedding anniversity. Sailing the other cruise in Oct doesn't really mean anniversary, but this would be only a few days later. Happy anniversary to us!!!! LOL

Not only would this be a blessing to us, we would be sailing and celebrating our 47th wedding anniversity. Sailing the other cruise in Oct doesn't really mean anniversary, but this would be only a few days later. Happy anniversary to us!!!! LOL

See what I started :) Not sure the boards could take both of us onboard :eek:

Hi NewMexicoNita and Shoreguy,

Those "specials" kinda got to us, too! But it's the one-way air I'm having trouble with. Want to spend a few extra days pre-cruise if we take the transatlantic, since there'll be lots of sea days to rest onboard! So far the only FF miles I can find would take us over on Aug. 31st., the cruiseline's premium air svc is about the same as booking directly with one of the airlines, and their regular air gets you over there just in time to board. Decisions, decisions!

So who know's who might just show up over on that roll call, shoreguy!:eek:

Hi NewMexicoNita and Shoreguy' date='

Those "specials" kinda got to us, too! But it's the one-way air I'm having trouble with. Want to spend a few extra days pre-cruise if we take the transatlantic, since there'll be lots of sea days to rest onboard! So far the only FF miles I can find would take us over on Aug. 31st., the cruiseline's premium air svc is about the same as booking directly with one of the airlines, and their regular air gets you over there just in time to board. Decisions, decisions!

So who know's who might just show up over on that roll call, shoreguy!:eek:[/quote']

I pulled my hair out looking for airfare. I wanted to go a day or two early as well. As it turned out I just got to spend 4 days in London on the company's dime :)

It was hard to pass up the $340 NCL fare that included the $75 transfer. Trust me things have become expensive in London - 65 pounds ($110) for a cab from the airport to city center. They say NY cabs are expensice :rolleyes:

You might want to check Aer Lingus. With a stop in Dublin members were able to book a flight from JFK for $270 going in a couple days early.

Quick check Thu or Fri $362 Wed $331

Air Lingus

Nita, I hope it works out for you.

Of course, some of my hoping is purely selfish :p We're set to go in November, so yours would be one more review to read and one more brain to pick.

I'd love to do a transatlantic some day.

See what I started :) Not sure the boards could take both of us onboard :eek:
Well it will be interesting, BTW, where did you find the best Jewel rates? I know, I am the TA and I have found a couple good ones, but I want the very lowest of course. Now I have to wait and hear from boss to see if already receiving my commission back is going to change things? At least I haven't cashed it yet and the commission on the Jewel I think will even be higher. As for flights we are going to use passes, going to Poland first and then take a cheapy airline down to London. We will probably spend one night there prior to sailing just so DH can say he was there. I have been there before with friends. I will keep you posted; should know something by the end of today.

Nita

Nita,

Sure sounds wonderful, doesn't it??!! So far the best I've seen is from NCL itself on the weekly specials for gtys. What really helps for us is our MBNA pts. It would be the 1st time we've ever booked direct. I was booked on the Med inaugural, but my father can't make it. Our TA charged $75 for the cancellation.:(

Ever since, I've been looking for another Jewel sailing I could snag Bob on.;)

Have you ever done a transatlantic before? This would be our first. In this case, the ship is half the destination and it would be great to join shoreguy's roll call with all of you.

Hope it all works out for you today!:D

p.s. Shoreguy, thanks for all the info. Sent you an email.

The only place I looked was the specials at NCL.com

$1199 Guarantee Special - Inside Promo Cat/Code: Cat. N

I ran it on the online booking engine and it came out even less once the insurance was backed out. 2,197.92 all in for 2

Well shoreguy and everyone, it does look like I will be on the ship Sept 4th. Just heard back for boss and there is no problem with my changing cruises. We are really excited. Now, I have to book the Jewel tomorrow morning, cancel the Celebrity cruise, cancel my Rome reservations, book us in Longdon for a day prior to the cruise and do about 2000 other things, but it will be worth it. We are really excited; best of all this is the first time DH has been on a new ship. Not my first, but his. NMnita

Well shoreguy and everyone, it does look like I will be on the ship Sept 4th. Just heard back for boss and there is no problem with my changing cruises. We are really excited. Now, I have to book the Jewel tomorrow morning, cancel the Celebrity cruise, cancel my Rome reservations, book us in Longdon for a day prior to the cruise and do about 2000 other things, but it will be worth it. We are really excited; best of all this is the first time DH has been on a new ship. Not my first, but his. NMnita

Welcome aboard :)

Tough comparison Celebrity vs. Jewel. Especially since hotel director, the Superb Klaus Lugmaier, has surrounded himself with individually chosen " top staff " to get the ship to sea. We heard on the Dawn last week that he is " taking " 80+ of the Dawn's crew over to the Jewel. From Concierge, to Butlers, to Maitre'Ds, down to select room attendants. NCL wants to make sure she is a " Jewel ".

We booked for Christmas knowing we will see familiar faces, often isn't that what makes cruising fun. Who are we going to see again !!

Bon Voyage

Terry

Tough comparison Celebrity vs. Jewel. Especially since hotel director, the Superb Klaus Lugmaier, has surrounded himself with individually chosen " top staff " to get the ship to sea. We heard on the Dawn last week that he is " taking " 80+ of the Dawn's crew over to the Jewel. From Concierge, to Butlers, to Maitre'Ds, down to select room attendants. NCL wants to make sure she is a " Jewel ".

We booked for Christmas knowing we will see familiar faces, often isn't that what makes cruising fun. Who are we going to see again !!

Bon Voyage

Terry

WOW, if he is taking the concierge I wonder if that is Carlos? That would really make our day!!!! As for comparison, yep it was tough, but the Galaxy isn't a new ship, we prefer 10 days to 14, DH hated the thought of 3 formal nights, it either meant lugging the tux or renting one not to mention we have always wanted to do a similar itinerary to this one and of course as everyone knows we are sold on freestyle. The worst part, not seeing Rome and not getting to meet all the wonderful people we have met on CC who will be sailing oct 14th. NMNita

Archived