Why Ban e-Cigarettes?

Paul65

I was just called by a rep from Adam Goldstein's office, responding to an email I had sent regarding my feelings on their ecig policy. I told them I just got home from a Princess cruise to Alaska where I was permiited to smoke all over the ship except for the Theatre and the MDR.

The rep said they are considering a change to the new policy; we shall see.

Linda

I was just called by a rep from Adam Goldstein's office, responding to an email I had sent regarding my feelings on their ecig policy. I told them I just got home from a Princess cruise to Alaska where I was permiited to smoke all over the ship except for the Theatre and the MDR.

The rep said they are considering a change to the new policy; we shall see.

Linda

Thank you Linda! I just sent an email as well.

If you are saying e-cigs are not available in Canada, you are incorrect. I recently purchased 2 very nice PV's (correct term for e-cigs not shaped like a cigarette) from Canada and they came with a large variety of sample juices.:)

Are there 2 types? They saId not FDA approved? Or Ontario?

Thank you Linda! I just sent an email as well.

I hope lots of ecig users contact them!

The rep said, "I see you have some cruises booked with us in 2014 and 2015." I said "Yes, I do, and I will not cancel them yet; I'm waiting for a while, to see if your policy becomes more educated and enlightened regarding my ecigs. Princess understands what you at RCCL do not, and they have fantastic itineraries."

Fingers crossed!

Linda

Well I have a very sensitive sense of smell and can't smell them. Have you ever really smelled one?

Sure. Depending on what the "juice" is, they can be anywhere from virtually no odor to having fairly strong scents. But they don't smell like cigarettes. They might smell like vanilla or cherry or menthol, etc. etc.

FALSITIES????? Please be so kind and enlighten all the rest of us to your first hand knowledge of e-cigs. I'm betting you have little to none yet you pass yourself off as the know all be all. You have enough posts here to realize that any mention of smoke of any sort brings about an argument yet you start a thread on it. WHY? I've run into some of your other posts and have come to the conclusion that you just like to hear yourself talk.

BTW, I've used e cigs for over two years and highly recommend them for anyone trying to break the tobacco habit. I've yet to see even a dog react to the vapor even with their greatly enhanced sense of smell.

Here's a recent study. Where's yours??

http://acsh.org/2013/08/new-study-finds-no-health-concerns-in-e-cig-vapor/

Calm down, the only things I said were falsities were claims of being odorless or of being nothing more than water vapor. Those are false. I am actually somewhat of a supporter of e-cigs, and if you'd really paid attention to my posts, you'd probably be aware of that. There is very little research available, though, and more needs to be done. The so-called "new study" that you cite is nothing more than a literature review of various sources of data that were available (not a true study) and the author admitted that much of the data was of poor quality. (It certainly didn't say that they were odorless and contained only water vapor.)

That doesn't mean they are unsafe, though. It just means they haven't been studied much, but based on the most common ingredients, they would be expected to have very little if any health concerns.

The so-called "new study" that you cite is nothing more than a literature review of various sources of data that were available (not a true study) and the author admitted that much of the data was of poor quality.

The fundamental purpose of a scientific literature search (which this is - in fact, having read the study, I find it quite exhaustive in its analysis of both peer-reviewed research and "gray" research) is to consolidate diffused and often overlooked or misinterpreted research data in an attempt to build a common body of knowledge about a subject.

Rather than dismiss this as "not a true study", perhaps the discussion would be better served if it was properly looked upon as a "study of studies". The discussion needs to be focused on the fact that there is a significant amount of research that has been done and continues to be done, and the more "literature searches" that are done, the more competent the understanding of the subject becomes.

The more widely available these data become, the more accurate the next generation of research becomes. While each individual research study can be easily dismissed when taken in isolation, when taken together, knowledge results.

The fundamental purpose of a scientific literature search (which this is - in fact, having read the study, I find it quite exhaustive in its analysis of both peer-reviewed research and "gray" research) is to consolidate diffused and often overlooked or misinterpreted research data in an attempt to build a common body of knowledge about a subject.

Rather than dismiss this as "not a true study", perhaps the discussion would be better served if it was properly looked upon as a "study of studies". The discussion needs to be focused on the fact that there is a significant amount of research that has been done and continues to be done, and the more "literature searches" that are done, the more competent the understanding of the subject becomes.

The more widely available these data become, the more accurate the next generation of research becomes. While each individual research study can be easily dismissed when taken in isolation, when taken together, knowledge results.

Fair enough. Perhaps I went to far to the other side, but most people who have cited the Drexel study don't seem to really understand what it was. I even saw one poster refer to it as a controlled study, so I think that most people don't think of a literature review, when they hear the word "study." It did not involve any new data, but was rather a consolidation of data already available. And, it did not involve any actually assessment of health, but rather looked at compositions of e-cig "juices" and the vapors from them and compared them to current workplace standards for exposure to those chemicals.

So, I don't really mean to dismiss the study, but rather to educate people on what the study actually was. And the author did state, as part of his study, that "It must be noted that the quality of much of the data that was available for these assessment was poor, and so much can be done to improve certainty in this risk assessment. However, the existing research is of the quality that is comparable with most workplace assessments for novel technologies."

I think e-cigarettes are potentially a great thing for smokers who want to quit or switch to a less risky habit. One of the problems, as I see it, right now is that they are totally unregulated. For some people that's a good thing, as they think regulation is just a way for the government to get their hands on more money. However, if there is ever a major health issue, because some producer contaminated their "juices" with some deadly chemical, their will be an outcry about why these weren't being regulated...

While this may be valid research (it's impossible to tell, since you have to purchase the report in order to read it), I'd be somewhat skeptical of any study where one or more of the listed researchers has a vested interest in proving one side of the argument or the other. In this case, the lead researcher is a paid consultant, and the fourth researcher listed is from the National Vapers Club. My somewhat educated guess is the two researchers from Potsdam rented out their air quality lab to the other two for their experiment, and helped them compile the results. Given the small sample size described in the abstract, and the absence of any control mechanisms, this is probably "gray" research at best.

[quote name='medic123']They come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. They are not FDA approved since they are not drugs. If I can find a company name in Canada I will let you know. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm a non smoker don't need the info. I started a thread a few minutes ago, our news station reported an eCig explosion while a Mother was driving, her child suffered burns. Be Careful users.

[quote name='evelyn51']Are there 2 types? They saId not FDA approved? Or Ontario?[/quote]

[quote name='medic123']They come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. They are not FDA approved since they are not drugs. If I can find a company name in Canada I will let you know. :)[/quote]

They are available in Canada, however the "juice" does not contain any nicotine, just flavours. To get the nic ones you need to buy in the US.

[quote name='melbur']They are available in Canada, however the "juice" does not contain any nicotine, just flavours. To get the nic ones you need to buy in the US.[/quote]

From Health Canada:

"The sale of these health products is currently not compliant with the [I]Food and Drugs Act[/I] since no electronic smoking products have been granted a market authorization in Canada."

Even the non-nicotine cartridges contain bases of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, or polyethylene glycol; which the sellers falsely claim are "safe" but neglect to state that they are safe as FOOD additives not as inhaled vapours.

[quote name='melbur']They are available in Canada, however the "juice" does not contain any nicotine, just flavours. To get the nic ones you need to buy in the US.[/quote]

Try canadaejuice's website which is based in Canada and you can get whatever nicotine level you would like. There are plenty more vendors too. I'm not from Canada and don't know if there are laws against it there, but there are Canadian sites that sell it with nicotine.

[quote name='robsaw']From Health Canada:

"The sale of these health products is currently not compliant with the [I]Food and Drugs Act[/I] since no electronic smoking products have been granted a market authorization in Canada."

Even the non-nicotine cartridges contain bases of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, or polyethylene glycol; which the sellers falsely claim are "safe" but neglect to state that they are safe as FOOD additives not as inhaled vapours.[/QUOTE]

Well propylene glycol is used in stage smoke, and I'm not aware of any issues amongst people with frequent exposure such as stage performers, etc. So that's encouraging.

RCCL sent me this: We appreciate your candid and valuable feedback regarding our enhanced
smoking policy.

At Royal Caribbean International, our priority is to provide an onboard
experience that is safe for all of our guests. Onboard policies, including
the new smoking policy, are implemented after conducting extensive research
to ensure that we continue to provide our guests with the award-winning
vacation experience they have come to expect from Royal Caribbean
International. Through this process, we found that many guests were
displeased with second hand smoke that emanated from guests smoking on
their balconies. Many of the policies on our ships are the result of
feedback we have received from our loyal guests and consumers. We are
confident that this new smoking policy will enhance the cruising experience
for our guests. At this time E-Cigarettes are following the same
restrictions as standard smoking and must be used in designated areas.

We thank you for the time you have taken to share your concerns regarding
this matter. We have certainly taken your comments into consideration, and
they have been shared with our leadership team for review.

We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you onboard one of our
cruise ships in the future. Regardless of how you choose to spend your
vacations, we wish you and your family the best in your future travels. :mad:

[quote name='beer1234']FALSITIES????? Please be so kind and enlighten all the rest of us to your first hand knowledge of e-cigs. I'm betting you have little to none yet you pass yourself off as the know all be all. You have enough posts here to realize that any mention of smoke of any sort brings about an argument yet you start a thread on it. WHY? I've run into some of your other posts and have come to the conclusion that you just like to hear yourself talk.

BTW, I've used e cigs for over two years and highly recommend them for anyone trying to break the tobacco habit. I've yet to see even a dog react to the vapor even with their greatly enhanced sense of smell.

Here's a recent study. Where's yours??

[URL]http://acsh.org/2013/08/new-study-finds-no-health-concerns-in-e-cig-vapor/[/URL][/QUOTE]

super like!!!!!

I'm not going to get into any arguments about this. I will say some of the posters really need to educate yourselves before posting. Now with that said. I will still use mine in my room, on a balcony, walking down the hall, in the elevator or anywhere else i feel like using it. There is no smell after the vapor sits for a few seconds so no one would even know I or anyone for that matter was using an ecig. One more Thing to point out. You remember those vaporizers we used as kids? You know the ones when you were sick? We'll guess what. They had PG in them. Did you have any issues then? No then you won't now either. Google is your friend. Use it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='medic123']The battery or charger exploded while being charged in the car. All batteries can explode if the proper charger is not being used.[/quote]

That is so true. One article I read said the charger she was using was the wrong one. I've read you should not charge them in cars. The research I've done is all of those that have exploded have been charging in a car...often unattended like overnight. You just have to use common sense.

[quote name='tiessa']That is so true. One article I read said the charger she was using was the wrong one. I've read you should not charge them in cars. The research I've done is all of those that have exploded have been charging in a car...often unattended like overnight. You just have to use common sense.[/QUOTE]

Any battery can explode if not used properly. I had a cell phone battery swell up and was about to go when I caught it because of the charger going bad.

Yes, pg is used in all asthma medications that are in aerosol form.

Archived