Hello, Hello, from a place called Barbados

breckpatty

Only a month to go before we board Silver Explorer Oct 9 in Barbados. :)

received the Silver Box a week ago, long before we expected it.

No replies to the Roll Call. What a wonderful cruise we are looking forward to. An Expedition Cruise, not in the Antarctic or above the Arctic Circle but Equitorial region! really looking forward to the veranda and outdoor areas, zodiacs in warm water.

Any tips from you veteran Explorer veterans?:rolleyes:

Tothesunset - Crane Beach is very nice, the ocean view suites are beautiful. You will not be disappointed. Upside of the location is that it is close to the airport; the downside is that it is not near many of the best beaches/restaurants on the West Coast. Enjoy your stay there.

We are staying at the Crane Beach Resort in Nov before our cruise. Anyone know what it's like?

The West is Best on Barbados, and if you still have flex, then you will probably be happier somewhere on the West coast.

However ..... if not ...

Hopefully ... you will have a Friday night? Friday night is Fish Fry at Oistins ... ... just down the road from Crane. Short taxi or moke ride ...

http://www.barbados.org/oistins-fish-fry.htm

Still worth going on other nights ... but Friday is extra special. Sunset, rum, reggae, and fish .... :)

Enjoy and report back with piccies.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I seem to have hijacked the thread. Can I hand you back to:

No replies to the Roll Call. What a wonderful cruise we are looking forward to. An Expedition Cruise, not in the Antarctic or above the Arctic Circle but Equitorial region! really looking forward to the veranda and outdoor areas, zodiacs in warm water.

There are very few of us here on the boards; fewer still on these boards who have taken Explorer to a non-polar region. I think you may be first, and we may be the second! :p That's not totally true; there was a review a few months back from a British Isles cruise on Explorer that I think was less than flattering...

If you've been on any other SS ships you'll find Explorer to be more casual. Meals are buffet-style (breakfast and lunch) but similar for dinners, with sit-down service and menus. Both times, we though the food was fine, considering that we were in isolated Polar regions without any restocking available. It will be interesting to see if things are different here - but probably not.

Your day is divided up into landings, which are all included, guided tours (though in non-polar regions, I have heard you can wander off on your own). There's generally a briefing in the evening, before dinner, outlining what's on the schedule for tomorrow. There seems to be even less night life than on the other ships; probably, because everyone is worn out from the day's activities.

We also are looking forward to the outdoor areas and the hot tubs, which we never used on our two previous Polar expeditions. Have a great trip, and make sure that you leave us some wine on board! We board in Colon the day you disembark - still waiting for our Silver Box!:(

Hi JP &Chris,

Yes, on our only other cruise ever on Silver Wind, we did get pretty worn out on the long days in port, sometimes dining in our stateroom! I am looking forward to meeting the other passengers interested in this type of cruise so do plan to get to the dining room nightly. We do have an advantage over some people as far as stamina as we train at 9,600' above sea level where we live.

We have asked for local beer in our bar, curious to see what they come up with!

Hi JP &Chris,

Yes, on our only other cruise ever on Silver Wind, we did get pretty worn out on the long days in port, sometimes dining in our stateroom! I am looking forward to meeting the other passengers interested in this type of cruise so do plan to get to the dining room nightly. We do have an advantage over some people as far as stamina as we train at 9,600' above sea level where we live.

We have asked for local beer in our bar, curious to see what they come up with!

The DR is usually pretty fun on Explorer. On one of our cruises, the Expedition staff made a real effort to divide up and sit at the large tables, which made for some really interesting conversation. On the other one, it happened rarely and we missed that a little - but our companions were extremely diverse and very interesting, well-traveled folks. Hopefully the same will hold true here - you don't tend to go to Antarctica as your first trip, but Barbados may be different... We have received so many travel tips from fellow cruisers.

Be careful coming down to sea level - you may get oxygen toxicity! ;) My textbook of Altitude Medicine quotes studies saying that contrary to popular belief, training at altitude doesn't improve sea level performance beyond what training at sea level would do - at least for short-distance running... There is probably some benefit for endurance training at altitude, as you suggest. Interesting stuff; the physiology of altitude (and diving) medicine has always fascinated me.

Wonder what they will come up with for local beer for you - hope it's not something mass-produced like Coors Light; otherwise, we'll be stuck with that on our voyage! :eek: We were just in Montana last weekend hiking in Glacier, and were amazed at the quality and quantity of the local microbrewery scene there. Are things the same in Colorado?

Archived