Ladies, need advise on packing for 14 day Panama cruise

Mereswan

So here is the question, what would you advise me to pack for 14 day Panama Canal cruise leaving Jan 5 from LA. DH always 'lovingly' gives me a hard time for taking so much luggage SO I have resolved to take what I need but not much more. Would like to keep it to a carryon and maybe one medium size checked bag. We are flying on SWA so no extra expense for checking but just don't want to have to deal with extra luggage. Also have to take my laptop because we are going to a conference in San Antonio the third week before going home. Thanks so much for your help.

Come up with a capsule wardrobe where everything mixes & matches and do laundry on the ship. Bring a couple pairs of neutral shoes and more accessories (scarves, jewelry) that don't take up much space to add flair to the neutral clothing.

Many of us who pack light (or are trying to move in that direction :p) have found inspiration in The Vivienne Files. I do visual packing lists because of this blog, to make sure everything I bring goes with multiple outfits.

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/

We're doing this cruise in 2 months and here is how I'm planning. We will have 4 port days and since it will be hot and humid (year around, I'm told), I am planning to take cool, comfortable clothes for those days. I may wash and rewear, one or two of the tops. Then for the sea days, and we will have several, I am taking summer clothes, (dressy and casual) keeping in mind that I won't have to worry about the heat as I can stay inside if it is too hot for me. I have some light, cool tops that I can easily wash and I try to make sure everything mixes and matches with the crops and full length pants so I don't feel like I am wearing the same clothes over and over. We don't so formal nights anymore (been there, done that) and we will each have our carry on size luggage and I also have a large tote and DH had a bag that will fit under the seat. We will only be flying to the cruise so I won't worry about the shopping I might do as I can carry that off the ship in the tote the cruise line gives us. Oh, don't forget a wide brimmed hat, umbrella and the usual undies, nities, I will take 3 pair shoes, walking, sandals and some slip ons that I always use when flying. Good luck!

We just did this cruise in March, it was great. As Hoyaheel says, plan to do laundry on the ship. (I think I did laundry twice.) It's very hot and you'll get sweaty! I took 2-3 pairs of shorts, same number capris and about 5-6 tops for daytime wear. For evenings, I wore the same capri's, but with dressier tops. A couple will mix and match and no one will remember what you're wearing. Vivienne Files is very helpful in putting together a mix and match concept. :)

We usually cruise for two weeks. I take enough clothes for one week, with some hand-washing needed for things like exercise clothes and undies.

If the ship has a self-service laundry I wash once, things that aren't easily hand-washed. If not, I will do the stuff-the-bag special, if they have one.

We usually each have one 25" bag and a small carry-on, mostly for valuables and things we want on the plane. Sometimes we add one extra small suitcase for things like snorkel equipment and shoes:).

Another great travel wardrobe site--

http://ladylighttravel.com/

Do not pack for a 14 day cruise pack for a 7 day cruise and repeat.

Or pack for 5 days and repeat three times.

Plan on doing laundry. Bring some Febreeze and wrinkle release.

Looks like you are traveling on NCL? You do not have to bring any type of 'formal' clothes for the cruise.

For the Business conference two bottoms and two jackets/cardigans (interchangeable) with some of your cruise tops should work.

We did the 14 day Panama Canal in 2008 on HAL Westerdam which does not have self-laundry. I did some laundry in my cabin and when they had their "stuff as much as you can in a bag" one low price, we did another load. I can't remember exactly what we packed but I know we were easily able to walk ourselves and our luggage across the street from the Holiday Inn to the port in San Diego for check-in. WITH a cardboard case of wine bottles:D

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I have checked both blogs suggested and plan to do more research on them. Great suggestions. Yes, we are on NCL. We have done RCCL, Carnival and one cruise on Costa but have settled on NCL as the best value for us.

Can't wait to see if I can make this work. Any one else have other suggestions, websites with tips????

This blogger skews a little younger than my taste, BUT the capsule wardrobes are visually easy to follow and I can envision swapping out a piece here and there to achieve the same goal with my style. Here's Beaches: http://www.outfitposts.com/2012/12/summary-one-suitcase-beach-vacation.html#.UjM0vMaHum4

I found the blog because she does a winter in europe 16 piece capsule, and we just booked a Christmas Market river cruise :p She has some nice business casual capsules too.

As you can see from my signature, I've been cruising for almost 40 years. I have never been big on limiting what I wear on vacation. It's just not appealing to me.

So, as the airline restrictions started dictating weight, I started buying chiffon tops to wear on my cruises. They are very popular and fabulous in tropical climates. I just got back this past April from a 4 week South Seas cruise where the weather was beyond hot, and these clothes saved me.

I pack 2 pairs each black and white capris and evening black pants, and then lots of these lightweight tops. Black, brown, and navy lightweight knit jackets will add a layer for evenings and cooler (HA!!) weather.

Underneath I wear very light tanks. I even went to Walmart and bought a negligee with spaghetti straps, and hemmed it to wear under these tops. That saved me in really hot, humid weather.

As you can see from my signature, I've been cruising for almost 40 years. I have never been big on limiting what I wear on vacation. It's just not appealing to me.

So, as the airline restrictions started dictating weight, I started buying chiffon tops to wear on my cruises. They are very popular and fabulous in tropical climates. I just got back this past April from a 4 week South Seas cruise where the weather was beyond hot, and these clothes saved me.

I pack 2 pairs each black and white capris and evening black pants, and then lots of these lightweight tops. Black, brown, and navy lightweight knit jackets will add a layer for evenings and cooler (HA!!) weather.

Underneath I wear very light tanks. I even went to Walmart and bought a negligee with spaghetti straps, and hemmed it to wear under these tops. That saved me in really hot, humid weather.

Great suggestions especially the Walmart purchase. I think of chiffon as being hot to wear but I guess I should reassess! Do you have a favorite store for the tops? Just trying to picture what you are referring to.

Great suggestions especially the Walmart purchase. I think of chiffon as being hot to wear but I guess I should reassess! Do you have a favorite store for the tops? Just trying to picture what you are referring to.

Dress Barn is one of my favorite places, and this is my favorite top. The colors are washed out in this picture; they are a little brighter:

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/floral-chiffon-top-and-tank-duet/101391695

Hopefully this page will show you 96 items, and you can see a lot of these type blouses:

http://www.dressbarn.com/search?q=chiffon&ppp=96

These are plus size, but they have the same styles in Misses.

Archived