first time cruiser on Oasis

erfarb

This will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean. We will be sailing on the Oasis. I have 2 balcony rooms. My party consists of me, my husband and 2 sons , ages 17 and 20

Other than that I have no clue where to go from here.

I live in NJ, so first, I need to find airfare. I also need to know where most people stay if they are coming in a day early. What hotel do you suggest?

For all those veteran cruisers, what do I need to plan for? What do I need to reserve in advance?

Any info. you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

This will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean. We will be sailing on the Oasis. I have 2 balcony rooms. My party consists of me, my husband and 2 sons , ages 17 and 20

I live in NJ, so first, I need to find airfare. I also need to know where most people stay if they are coming in a day early. What hotel do you suggest?

For all those veteran cruisers, what do I need to plan for? What do I need to reserve in advance?

Congrats on your booking--it should be a fantastic cruise! First of all, join your roll call, if there is one already.

We're staying at the Embassy Suites before our Allure cruise this November. There are several popular hotels, and you can find out more about that on the "Florida Departures" threads (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495).

Oasis is a great ship for making reservations ahead. Entertainment bookings, which are basically free of charge, can only be made once they are opened up for your cruise, 3-4 months in advance. You'll just have to keep watching for that. This is where the roll call comes in handy, since someone on there may notice first.

But you can reserve specialty restaurants, soda packages, and other things on the Royal Caribbean website once you have your booking/reservation number and create a "My Cruises" account.

On the Royal Caribbean section of Cruise Critics, look for the many Oasis/Allure cruise reviews. These will have pictures and descriptions of activities, menus, and more, and may give you a better idea of what to expect and what you can and may want to plan for. Reading up will help with that. There are reviews that have a spreadsheet for planning, which may give you some ideas, but on the other hand, you may wish to "go with the flow" and just enjoy what you may find onboard. Not everyone wants a vacation that is scheduled out to the minute.

As for dining, if you want traditional dining (early seating or late seating) in the main dining room (MDR), get that ASAP since they can fill up. My Time Dining (MTD) is another option, which gives you more flexibility. We love the regular, late seating dining in the MDR, but it's not for everyone. And the time can conflict with some of the entertainment. As for the specialty restaurants, if I were you, I'd take a pass this first time around and enjoy the main dining room for dinner. You might consider Giovanni's Table for lunch one day, though. It is particularly good. Also, for the at sea days, be sure to check out sit-down lunch in the MDR and its "Tutti Salad Bar," which is a pick-your-own ingredients salad bar.

We were on the Oasis last summer and had a blast. Google hotels near the airport/cruise port. The airport and cruise port are only about a 10 minute drive from each other. A lot of people stay in the 17th street area. Most hotels have an airport shuttle. Some have a port shuttle, some free and some for a fee. Since there are 4 of you, a taxi would be cheaper than paying for a shuttle.

Make show reservations whenever they open up. Sign activity waivers online, even if you don't think you will need them. There is signage all over the ship to help you find your way, but you'll feel better if you look over the deck plans beforehand.

Most importantly don't sweat it, and have a great time!

But you can reserve specialty restaurants, soda packages, and other things on the Royal Caribbean website once you have your booking/reservation number and create a "My Cruises" account.

This is all excellent advice, but do note that the specialty restaurant reservations may not yet be available. We're way out - May 2014 - and no Show Reservations, Spa Reservations nor Specialty Restaurant Reservations are available to us yet. However shore excursions, drink packages, gifts, etc are all ready to book.

Just an FYI - if you are sailing sooner, then you may indeed be good to go. Have a great cruise! :)

Not sure when your sailing. Check Jet Blue and Southwest from Newark. You should be able to grab a good price. :)

Congrats on your booking--it should be a fantastic cruise! First of all, join your roll call, if there is one already.

We're staying at the Embassy Suites before our Allure cruise this November. There are several popular hotels, and you can find out more about that on the "Florida Departures" threads (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495).

Oasis is a great ship for making reservations ahead. Entertainment bookings, which are basically free of charge, can only be made once they are opened up for your cruise, 3-4 months in advance. You'll just have to keep watching for that. This is where the roll call comes in handy, since someone on there may notice first.

On the Royal Caribbean section of Cruise Critics, look for the many Oasis/Allure cruise reviews. These will have pictures and descriptions of activities, menus, and more, and may give you a better idea of what to expect and what you can and may want to plan for. Reading up will help with that. There are reviews that have a spreadsheet for planning, which may give you some ideas, but on the other hand, you may wish to "go with the flow" and just enjoy what you may find onboard. Not everyone wants a vacation that is scheduled out to the minute.

As for dining, if you want traditional dining (early seating or late seating) in the main dining room (MDR), get that ASAP since they can fill up. My Time Dining (MTD) is another option, which gives you more flexibility. We love the regular, late seating dining in the MDR, but it's not for everyone. And the time can conflict with some of the entertainment. As for the specialty restaurants, if I were you, I'd take a pass this first time around and enjoy the main dining room for dinner. You might consider Giovanni's Table for lunch one day, though. It is particularly good. Also, for the at sea days, be sure to check out sit-down lunch in the MDR and its "Tutti Salad Bar," which is a pick-your-own ingredients salad bar.

Wow, thank you so much for all this wonderful information. This has been very helpful.

Wow, thank you so much for all this wonderful information. This has been very helpful.

You're quite welcome. See marklodi's note, above, correcting my information about being able to book specialty restaurants, though. I forgot those aren't available immediately.

This is all excellent advice, but do note that the specialty restaurant reservations may not yet be available. We're way out - May 2014 - and no Show Reservations, Spa Reservations nor Specialty Restaurant Reservations are available to us yet. However shore excursions, drink packages, gifts, etc are all ready to book.

Just an FYI - if you are sailing sooner, then you may indeed be good to go. Have a great cruise! :)

Thank you for the additional info. regarding placing reservations in advance, Quite helpful!

Hi. If you're a planner, reading reviews will come in handy too. It helped me immensely to plan for our upcoming oasis cruise in November. I also have a very detailed planning spreadsheet geared towards Oasis if you want it to help you get your onboard activities organized.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I found this from the RCCL Blog site for you... Hope it helps with any questions you may have.

First timer's guide to Oasis of the Seas:

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas has been making headlines since it was formally announced and there's little doubt as to why this mega cruise ship is so popular. For those looking to take their first cruise on Oasis of the Seas, here's a primer to get you ready for this fantastic vacation experience.

Oasis is, well, big!

Most people that book a vacation aboard Oasis of the Seas know that she's a big cruise ship. In fact, she was the largest cruise ship in the world until her sister Allure of the Seas barely beat her out. Regardless, saying a ship is big and seeing it for yourself are two different things.

To help break the ship and make it easier to navigate, Royal Caribbean has created seven themed areas called "neighborhoods". These distinct areas of the ship serve as visual cues to where you are and it's important to know about them so you can more easily get to wherever you are going.

The Oasis of the Seas neighborhoods are

Central Park

The Pool and Sports Zone

Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center

Boardwalk

Royal Promenade

Youth Zone

Entertainment Place

Free vs. Paid

Oasis of the Seas is packed with a lot to do and much of it is included in your cruise fare while other options cost extra. We can't cover everything that costs extra in terms of activites and things to do, but here's a listing of the major ones

Free places to eat

Windjammer

Park Cafe

Boardwalk Donut Shop

Solarium Bistro (breakfast and lunch only)

Wipeout Cafe

Sorrento's

Cafe Promenade

Room Service

Main Dining Room

Paid places to eat

Chops Grille

150 Central Park

Giovanni's Table

Johnny Rockets

Vintages

Seafood Shack

Vitality Cafe

Solarium Bistro (dinner only)

Izumi

Free activities

Flowrider surf simulator

"Hairspray" Broadway show

AquaTheater

Zipline across Central Park

Ice skating

3D Movie Theater

Gym

Paid activities

Fitness classes

Surf lessons

Cooking classes

Spa services (massages, hair styling, makeup, etc)

Cabins

We will assume you're familiar with the usual types of staterooms that are on cruise ships, such as inside, outside, balcony and suites. But Oasis of the Seas has a few other types of staterooms you may not know about.

Boardwalk and Central Park balcony

When you hear about a stateroom with a balcony, you're probably envisioning a view of the ocean but Oasis of the Seas introduced cabins that have balconies that overlook two of their most popular neighborhoods: Central Park and the Boardwalk. Both offer great views of their respective areas and they can be just as fun as an ocean balcony given the beautifully decorated areas.

One common question about these balconies is noise since other passengers will be who you can see and hear from your balcony. Generally speaking the noise factor isn't a consideration and we would recommend trying either one!

Loft Suites

These suites are unique in that they have two floors with a large balcony. It's a lot of space for a small footprint and it''s a great choice for those looking for an upscale option.

Technology!

Oasis of the Seas pioneered a few innovations to the cruise industry that have since been rolled out to many other Royal Caribbean ships. There's lots but here are our favorites

Wayfinders - Every deck has large LCD monitors that not only show you where you are onboard but how to get from where you are to somewhere else. In addition they can tell you what's going on right now as well as later.

Royal Connect phones - Royal Caribbean offers passengers the option to rent customized iPhones for use onboard the ship. These phones are great ways to stay connected when outside of your stateroom as well as find your friends and family with a tracking feature. Royal Connect phones cost extra.

Stateroom Televisions - Beyond watching TV, your stateroom TV can tell you what's happening around the ship as well as show you how busy many of the restaurants are onboard. It's a great tool to avoid waiting somewhere to eat.

But wait, there's more!

There's a lot more to see and do on Oasis of the Seas but that's what your cruise is for! Hopefully this guide will be enough to give you an idea of what to expect and you will be a little better prepared to enjoy everything this magnificent cruise ship has to offer. Bon voyage!

• Decks 12-14 aft on both sides have public decks with chairs; the area overlooks the aqua theater and rear of the ship. Take either aft stateroom corridor (start from aft elevator area) to reach (the decks are on both sides). Pretend you are in your own Aqua Theater suite.
  • Deck 6 aft (Boardwalk) has stairwells that go down on each side of the aqua theater (far rear of the deck, past the stairwells that go up to the rock climbing wall). These stairs lead down to the rear of the jogging track, which has chairs available overlooking the rear of the ship so you can watch the wake. Very quiet area, unless an aqua theater show is going on as you are behind the theater.
  • The shuffleboard courts are behind the aqua theater screens on deck 6 aft (Boardwalk).
  • Deck 14 forward has a large viewing area with spotting scopes; you can see it from the Solarium. Take the port (left) stateroom corridor (start at the forward elevator area) to reach it.
  • Want to see the front of the ship where the helipad is? Either A) Get invited to the private sail away party (not sure how this is done; may be a top tier event of some sort) or B) Take the yoga class; they hold it out there. That deck is not open to the public.
  • When in the promenade, near the center, look up for a ring in the ceiling (it will be in between two ceiling panels). During the two parades this is where the harness is attached for the acrobat. If seeing the acrobat up close interests you, sit near this hook. You will need to show up a good 25+ minutes early if you want to claim a front row spot. I don't have a picture of where it is, but others might. Just search for pictures of the acrobat performing during the parades.
  • The comedy club is small and books up faster than anything else, at least when I was on the second week of August. It was fully booked before we even got on the boat, the only item that was.
  • You only need to show up about 15-20 minutes early to get your choice of prime seats for the various shows. Front row requires 20+ minutes early.
  • If you have a little kid and think they may be interested sit in the front row corners of the ice rink on either side (seats on either side; not the rows straight ahead when you enter the ice rink). They pull kids sitting there to ride in little things (swans? can't remember) during part of one act. Think of the seating as a U; you want to sit in the lower left and right arms of the U.
  • Try Park Cafe (Central Park) at least once for breakfast and lunch. Once you do, you may make it your regular spot for both.
  • Some pools are fresh water, some are salt. One is zero entry (gentle slope rather than steep sides).
  • Want to ride the flowrider over and over with minimal wait time? Do it on a port day; I stayed on the ship one day and only had to share it with 3-4 people.

My 2 cents.

We were on the Oasis last summer and had a blast. Google hotels near the airport/cruise port. The airport and cruise port are only about a 10 minute drive from each other. A lot of people stay in the 17th street area. Most hotels have an airport shuttle. Some have a port shuttle, some free and some for a fee. Since there are 4 of you, a taxi would be cheaper than paying for a shuttle.

Make show reservations whenever they open up. Sign activity waivers online, even if you don't think you will need them. There is signage all over the ship to help you find your way, but you'll feel better if you look over the deck plans beforehand.

Most importantly don't sweat it, and have a great time!

Thank you so much for your input, greatly appreciated.

Hi. If you're a planner, reading reviews will come in handy too. It helped me immensely to plan for our upcoming oasis cruise in November. I also have a very detailed planning spreadsheet geared towards Oasis if you want it to help you get your onboard activities organized.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would love to see the spreadsheet you have for the Oasis. I am overwhelmed with how helpful everyone is on this forum. Thank you all!

I agree with the suggestion to look into Embassy Suites. It's a family-sized suite, with a separate living room area, which would be perfect for you. (Our daughters were approx. the same age when we stayed there precruise in 2011). They have an excellent full breakfast, which is included, and a free happy hour in the evenings. The pool area is lovely too!

Behind the hotel is a strip mall with a Publix supermarket and several inexpensive restaurants. (We liked having lunch at Tropical Smoothie café, which has free Wi-Fi)

I found this from the RCCL Blog site for you... Hope it helps with any questions you may have.

First timer's guide to Oasis of the Seas:

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas has been making headlines since it was formally announced and there's little doubt as to why this mega cruise ship is so popular. For those looking to take their first cruise on Oasis of the Seas, here's a primer to get you ready for this fantastic vacation experience.

Oasis is, well, big!

Most people that book a vacation aboard Oasis of the Seas know that she's a big cruise ship. In fact, she was the largest cruise ship in the world until her sister Allure of the Seas barely beat her out. Regardless, saying a ship is big and seeing it for yourself are two different things.

To help break the ship and make it easier to navigate, Royal Caribbean has created seven themed areas called "neighborhoods". These distinct areas of the ship serve as visual cues to where you are and it's important to know about them so you can more easily get to wherever you are going.

The Oasis of the Seas neighborhoods are

Central Park

The Pool and Sports Zone

Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center

Boardwalk

Royal Promenade

Youth Zone

Entertainment Place

Free vs. Paid

Oasis of the Seas is packed with a lot to do and much of it is included in your cruise fare while other options cost extra. We can't cover everything that costs extra in terms of activites and things to do, but here's a listing of the major ones

Free places to eat

Windjammer

Park Cafe

Boardwalk Donut Shop

Solarium Bistro (breakfast and lunch only)

Wipeout Cafe

Sorrento's

Cafe Promenade

Room Service

Main Dining Room

Paid places to eat

Chops Grille

150 Central Park

Giovanni's Table

Johnny Rockets

Vintages

Seafood Shack

Vitality Cafe

Solarium Bistro (dinner only)

Izumi

Free activities

Flowrider surf simulator

"Hairspray" Broadway show

AquaTheater

Zipline across Central Park

Ice skating

3D Movie Theater

Gym

Paid activities

Fitness classes

Surf lessons

Cooking classes

Spa services (massages, hair styling, makeup, etc)

Cabins

We will assume you're familiar with the usual types of staterooms that are on cruise ships, such as inside, outside, balcony and suites. But Oasis of the Seas has a few other types of staterooms you may not know about.

Boardwalk and Central Park balcony

When you hear about a stateroom with a balcony, you're probably envisioning a view of the ocean but Oasis of the Seas introduced cabins that have balconies that overlook two of their most popular neighborhoods: Central Park and the Boardwalk. Both offer great views of their respective areas and they can be just as fun as an ocean balcony given the beautifully decorated areas.

One common question about these balconies is noise since other passengers will be who you can see and hear from your balcony. Generally speaking the noise factor isn't a consideration and we would recommend trying either one!

Loft Suites

These suites are unique in that they have two floors with a large balcony. It's a lot of space for a small footprint and it''s a great choice for those looking for an upscale option.

Technology!

Oasis of the Seas pioneered a few innovations to the cruise industry that have since been rolled out to many other Royal Caribbean ships. There's lots but here are our favorites

Wayfinders - Every deck has large LCD monitors that not only show you where you are onboard but how to get from where you are to somewhere else. In addition they can tell you what's going on right now as well as later.

Royal Connect phones - Royal Caribbean offers passengers the option to rent customized iPhones for use onboard the ship. These phones are great ways to stay connected when outside of your stateroom as well as find your friends and family with a tracking feature. Royal Connect phones cost extra.

Stateroom Televisions - Beyond watching TV, your stateroom TV can tell you what's happening around the ship as well as show you how busy many of the restaurants are onboard. It's a great tool to avoid waiting somewhere to eat.

But wait, there's more!

There's a lot more to see and do on Oasis of the Seas but that's what your cruise is for! Hopefully this guide will be enough to give you an idea of what to expect and you will be a little better prepared to enjoy everything this magnificent cruise ship has to offer. Bon voyage!

Very helpful. Thank you so much for your time. I am in awe at the kindness on this forum, I really never expected anyone to answer. You have all been a wealth of information, my sincerest thanks.

• Decks 12-14 aft on both sides have public decks with chairs; the area overlooks the aqua theater and rear of the ship. Take either aft stateroom corridor (start from aft elevator area) to reach (the decks are on both sides). Pretend you are in your own Aqua Theater suite.
  • Deck 6 aft (Boardwalk) has stairwells that go down on each side of the aqua theater (far rear of the deck, past the stairwells that go up to the rock climbing wall). These stairs lead down to the rear of the jogging track, which has chairs available overlooking the rear of the ship so you can watch the wake. Very quiet area, unless an aqua theater show is going on as you are behind the theater.
  • The shuffleboard courts are behind the aqua theater screens on deck 6 aft (Boardwalk).
  • Deck 14 forward has a large viewing area with spotting scopes; you can see it from the Solarium. Take the port (left) stateroom corridor (start at the forward elevator area) to reach it.
  • Want to see the front of the ship where the helipad is? Either A) Get invited to the private sail away party (not sure how this is done; may be a top tier event of some sort) or B) Take the yoga class; they hold it out there. That deck is not open to the public.
  • When in the promenade, near the center, look up for a ring in the ceiling (it will be in between two ceiling panels). During the two parades this is where the harness is attached for the acrobat. If seeing the acrobat up close interests you, sit near this hook. You will need to show up a good 25+ minutes early if you want to claim a front row spot. I don't have a picture of where it is, but others might. Just search for pictures of the acrobat performing during the parades.
  • The comedy club is small and books up faster than anything else, at least when I was on the second week of August. It was fully booked before we even got on the boat, the only item that was.
  • You only need to show up about 15-20 minutes early to get your choice of prime seats for the various shows. Front row requires 20+ minutes early.
  • If you have a little kid and think they may be interested sit in the front row corners of the ice rink on either side (seats on either side; not the rows straight ahead when you enter the ice rink). They pull kids sitting there to ride in little things (swans? can't remember) during part of one act. Think of the seating as a U; you want to sit in the lower left and right arms of the U.
  • Try Park Cafe (Central Park) at least once for breakfast and lunch. Once you do, you may make it your regular spot for both.
  • Some pools are fresh water, some are salt. One is zero entry (gentle slope rather than steep sides).
  • Want to ride the flowrider over and over with minimal wait time? Do it on a port day; I stayed on the ship one day and only had to share it with 3-4 people.

My 2 cents.

So happy you have shared your 2 cents. I am learning so much about this ship from so many of you. Thanks so much.

I agree with the suggestion to look into Embassy Suites. It's a family-sized suite, with a separate living room area, which would be perfect for you. (Our daughters were approx. the same age when we stayed there precruise in 2011). They have an excellent full breakfast, which is included, and a free happy hour in the evenings. The pool area is lovely too!

Behind the hotel is a strip mall with a Publix supermarket and several inexpensive restaurants. (We liked having lunch at Tropical Smoothie café, which has free Wi-Fi)

Thanks Donna. Does Embassy Suites have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel? Do they have a shuttle from the hotel to the port? Would we be better off just taking a taxi for both the airport to hotel and then from hotel to port? I was looking into Hyatt Place and they charge 7.00 per person from the airport to the hotel and 8.00 per person from the hotel to the port. Not sure what the better deal is. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Donna. Does Embassy Suites have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel? Do they have a shuttle from the hotel to the port? Would we be better off just taking a taxi for both the airport to hotel and then from hotel to port? I was looking into Hyatt Place and they charge 7.00 per person from the airport to the hotel and 8.00 per person from the hotel to the port. Not sure what the better deal is. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel for about $12 plus tip for all of us. It was very easy...as soon as we picked up our luggage from the carousel, we followed the signs for "taxi". There was a very short line.

On the way from the hotel to the ship, I asked the hotel concierge to call us a cab. He tried to convince us to take the hotel's shuttle, but I told him that the cab was $15 total so it was a better deal than the shuttle for 4 people (over $30 plus tip). So, he offered us a "special family rate" of $20 (which I think he made up on the spot! lol) Even though it was still more expensive than the cab, we took it because the shuttle was there waiting and ready to go.

After the cruise, there were plenty of taxis waiting to take us to FLL (again it was like $15 including the tip)

Do note that valuetrips clearly shows that the shuttle from the airport to Hyatt Place is complimentary. If you were told otherwise, you may want to verify with the hotel, or at the very least print our that page janetz links to and take it with you. Hopefully they will waive the shuttle cost for you.

Definitely take a taxi to the port, from what I've been told, especially if you are early birds like we are. :)

Do note that valuetrips clearly shows that the shuttle from the airport to Hyatt Place is complimentary. If you were told otherwise, you may want to verify with the hotel, or at the very least print our that page janetz links to and take it with you. Hopefully they will waive the shuttle cost for you.

Definitely take a taxi to the port, from what I've been told, especially if you are early birds like we are. :)

Thank you for the info. I did call the hotel and their automated service asked me to call a separate number, regarding cruise transportation.which I did.

The first time I called there was no answer, the second time I called I talked to someone on a cell phone. He explained to me the charges both from the airport to hotel and then from the hotel to the port. If I can be honest, it really felt very uncomfortable. When he answered the phone all he said was hello? No hotel welcome, it sounded quite fishy???

Has anyone else called the hotel, listened to the automated message and followed the same prompts I did? Something seems wrong. Would love any feedback .

Thank you for the info. I did call the hotel and their automated service asked me to call a separate number, regarding cruise transportation.which I did.

The first time I called there was no answer, the second time I called I talked to someone on a cell phone. He explained to me the charges both from the airport to hotel and then from the hotel to the port. If I can be honest, it really felt very uncomfortable. When he answered the phone all he said was hello? No hotel welcome, it sounded quite fishy???

Has anyone else called the hotel, listened to the automated message and followed the same prompts I did? Something seems wrong. Would love any feedback .

Wow, that doesn't sound promising. Our TA highly recommended the hotel and I trust her (great friends we have cruised with before), so I'll ask her about her using it in the past. Please post if you find out anything different. May even warrant a call to Hyatt Customer Service directly if that is the service you can expect.

My suggestion is to read EVERY Allure/Oasis review you can get your hands on. They all helped me tremendously when planning our Eastern Allure review last year. In fact, you can read my review (click on at the bottom). We travelled on connecting balconies with our 22, 19, and 11 year old. If you live in the South Jersey area, try Spirit Airlines out of Atlantic City.

Planning the trip was as much fun as taking it. Have fun!

Congrat's on your Oasis cruise. The week will go by so fast, and you won't be able to do everything, so just pick the activities that interest you most.

Just got off the Oasis this past Saturday. Trust me, it's much cheaper & faster to grab a taxi to Hotel/Cruise Ship/Airport. The shuttles charge by the person & can be quite costly. Taxi's are quick and easy & readily available.

Breakfast in Johnny Rockets is always free and FUN.

Specialty dining is WONDERFUL.... we ate in the dining room just one time.

Be sure and go to the "roll call" board and join in on all the activites and make new friends before you ever board the ship.

ALWAYS fly in a day in advance.

Enjoy .........:D

Archived