Emerald Princess or Cunard queen Vic?

Slugsta

We are researching cruises for next autumn and have pretty much narrowed it down to Emerald Princess or Cunard Queen Victoria. We have sailed with both lines before but not on either of these ships.

From past experience, there are some things that we like more about Princess and others that we prefer Cunard for so there is not much to separate the two trips. The itineraries are almost identical as are the prices.

Please can someone tell me the current daily tips on board Princess? What are the drinks packages (I remember that I had a 'soda card' last time)?

Neither line does tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins, which is a shame as room service isn't the same, IMHO.

If anyone has any other comments, please feel free to chip in :)

Hi Slugsta

We are not too far from you in lovely Dorset as we live in Epsom so hello!

On first impressions it may appear I cannot help you as we have not sailed on either ship……………but……….I can indeed give you some information to add to other replies that will doubtless be forthcoming.

We have cruised on P&O’s “Azura” which is all but identical to “Emerald Princess” and have been on others of that Class on day ship visits. (We are also only four weeks away from sailing on the “Diamond Princess” in the Far East – can’t wait!).

I have been over the Queen Victoria twice and also the nearly identical Queen Elizabeth so know both ships well, albeit have not cruised on them.

And so to the differences………….you have sailed on both lines before so will know that Cunard is perhaps very slightly more elegant and reminiscent of cruising of yesteryear. Personally we have done many cruises on both lines and love them equally.

Possibly the main difference is that Cunard do not have a Freedom/Anytime dining option (other than the Buffet) – if you prefer the Traditional Dining that will not affect your decision at all.

The other big difference is the passenger space ratio where Queen Victoria wins hands down. Unfortunately, “Emerald Princess” is like “Azura” with the extra deck of cabins without any extra public rooms compared to others of the large ships like “Diamond Princess” and “Sapphire Princess” which have several hundred passengers less for the same amount of public space.

Yes neither line has tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins which is a bit annoying.

I think tips are $11.50 pp per day or £12 in suites/mini-suites on both lines.

A hard but pleasant choice to have to make – if you wanted Freedom Dining it would have to be “Emerald Princess” – if you wanted some more space on the ship (important if you had lots of sea days) then Queen Victoria wins easily. The choice is yours.

If you wanted to discuss further please feel free to e-mail me on peter.s.smith@royalmail.com.

Kind regards.

Peter and Beverley

Thanks for your input. We have been on board Crown Princess and Azura, so it sounds as if Emerald Princess is identical.

From what you had said about space etc we had decided on Queen Vic - then we decided to look at the average temperatures for the time of year. Emerald departs 3oth August and QV in October. I can't tolerate too much heat but I do like to be warm - so it looks as if Princess would give us that.

I expect we will think of something else to compare and change our minds again soon. After all, Azura departs in between the others and does the same itinerary...

been on the emerald and shes a very spacious ship where all passengers can access all areas equally .

the qv brings back the class society where passengers from brittania class cabins cannot access the grill terraces areas on deck 10 and 11 .

one reason we will never cruise cunard

I haven`t been on Cunard so won`t be much help. The class thing always put me off a bit.

I have cruises P&O and Princess.

I was on Emerald Princess when she was new in 2007 and I have been on Crown Princess. They are identical in my opinion. I will be back on Emerald in January.

The tea and coffee making don`t bother me too much. We get up and go to breakfast or order room service.

The only thing I can say is that the weather, I presume in the Med, will be warmer in September. You sometimes get more rain in October.

Good luck on your choice and have a nice cruise.

(Posted this once but it is not appearing - sorry if have posted wrongly elsewhere!)

Interesting comments about Cunard. (I will keep this brief as I know it is a Princess Board!).

We have been on several Cunard voyages in a mixture of Britannia Class and latterly Queens Grill (on the Queen Mary 2). There are such limited Grill only locations around the ship that we personally never felt “second class” in Britannia or “something special” in the Grills.

Obviously the food selection is greater in the Grills (and the meals were awesome) but we have also had fantastic meals in the Britannia restaurants.

We never felt the “class system” was an issue from either end of the spectrum and is it really any different to your neighbour having a better car than you or other similar comparisons? You get more if you pay more – but I fully understand not everyone would agree with that principle.

Whatever you finally choose, you will have a great time on either Princess or Cunard!

Archived