Situation with OnBoard Booking

atltraveler01

While on the Wind last February, we booked a cruise for April 2014. During the booking process, we were told and encouraged to transfer the booking to our travel agent. We didn't go home right away after the cruise, and when we did, the new cruise took a backseat since there were so many other things happening in our lives, and the cruise was well over a year away. As a result, I didn't think about transfering the booking until recently. When my travel agent contacted Sales at Silversea, she was was told that the booking could not be transferred because it was over 30 days old. My follow-up phone call to Silversea was useless. We were never told during the booking process on the Wind that there was a time limit to transfer, and when I checked my paperwork, there was no mention of a time limit either. But I did see on the document that I could transfer the booking from one agency to another before the final payment. Needless to say, this is very confusing. I am more than a little upset about this because I would have received a decent OBC from my agent. I don't think I can do anything else about this, but would appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks.

We found the following on http://www.travelmarketreport.com in regards to how onboard bookings are handled on various cruise lines:

"Silversea -

How it works: Guests receive a percentage discount when booking a future cruise or purchasing a future cruise deposit while onboard ship.

Booking options: The guest can either book an actual cruise with specific sail date or put down a $500 per person deposit to qualify for a 5% savings. Deposit must be used within one year.

Commission: The guest’s travel agent who booked the original cruise is the booking agent of record for the new cruise and earns commissions accordingly."

If your TA did book the original cruise for you, perhaps this is something to check out.

off topic.

Jacki/TC not to be nit picky, but why have you already included your upcoming Shadow voyage (Vancouver to Tokyo, embarking Sept. 12th) in your signature? Believe you now have sailed SS twice for a total of 25 days vs the 41 days now listed. Bet this was just a mistake on your part or am I missing something?

We found the following on www.travelmarketreport.com in regards to how onboard bookings are handled on various cruise lines:

"Silversea -

How it works: Guests receive a percentage discount when booking a future cruise or purchasing a future cruise deposit while onboard ship.

Booking options: The guest can either book an actual cruise with specific sail date or put down a $500 per person deposit to qualify for a 5% savings. Deposit must be used within one year.

Commission: The guest’s travel agent who booked the original cruise is the booking agent of record for the new cruise and earns commissions accordingly."

If your TA did book the original cruise for you, perhaps this is something to check out.

Onboard savings are now up to 5%, and yes there are some 2014 voyages where the onboard saving is exactly 0%.

Archived