Mr Gerry Cahill refuses to directly answer communique' Re. future of cruise bands

manmtnmike

At most you get what you pay for. In this case, even less.

Over 1 million CC members.

Of that 211, how many cruise on Carnival? We all know how boring the other boards are and how flotsam from those boards ends up here. :D

That's pretty deceiving. There's only about 20,000 active members according to the members page, and only a percentage of them are on these Carnival boards, I assume.

and

My only thought is why do you have to drag Cruise Critic into this? You have a problem with something, argue it on your merit. Don't drag others into this without their expressed consent and as a CC member, I have not given anyone authorization to argue on my behalf. Especially since I couldn't care less whether they have live bands, DJs, or robots plucking a chicken! You want to complain about something, do it in your own name and leave the rest of us out of it. It's people slinging the CC name around like this that leaves such a bad taste in people's mouths about CC.

Agree 100%

All you need is "that reason" to try something new.

And while trying something new, you see all the differences, and you see them as better, guess where that person returns?

I seem to keep returning to CCL and I do try other llines if they meet my wants for that vacation. My last CCL cruise on Freedom last month was one of my better cruises and for the $$ I paid, well worth returning to them again in the future. The problem with some people is they think everyone agrees with them. We are not all the same. OP, please don't speak for me as I don't agree with you.

Some military types or wannabes or 18 year old kids with strong "Carnival Can Do No Wrong" opinions notwithstanding, I do not agree with the notion that the OP was speaking on behalf of Cruise Critic. I think he mentioned that "many of the people on Cruise Critic"... were disheartened about the changes to the live music availability. From what I've read on these boards over the years, I'd certainly say that's true. I'm disheartened, and while I'm not "many", I've certainly read other threads on the subject where "many" people indicate that they rue the demise of live performances.

I agree that the letter may not have been the best written. Are we really going to start criticizing the way people write or spell here? If so, oh my! Some of us will have full time jobs as editors/grammar police.

And of course Carnival would respond to the OP's notes. They have a communications department for that, and they prepare form responses for letters on any given subject. No matter how written, they certainly got the jist of what OP was saying and sent what they considered to be the most appropriate canned response. Any large organization and our politicians do the same.

I think we should lay off the OP.

I think that bringing up Cruise Critic on the OP's letter may have been, singlehandedly, the reason why the letter may have ended up in Gerry Cahill's assistant's trash can.

Some military types or wannabes or 18 year old kids with strong "Carnival Can Do No Wrong" opinions notwithstanding, I do not agree with the notion that the OP was speaking on behalf of Cruise Critic. I think he mentioned that "many of the people on Cruise Critic"... were disheartened about the changes to the live music availability. From what I've read on these boards over the years, I'd certainly say that's true. I'm disheartened, and while I'm not "many", I've certainly read other threads on the subject where "many" people indicate that they rue the demise of live performances.

I agree that the letter may not have been the best written. Are we really going to start criticizing the way people write or spell here? If so, oh my! Some of us will have full time jobs as editors/grammar police.

And of course Carnival would respond to the OP's notes. They have a communications department for that, and they prepare form responses for letters on any given subject. No matter how written, they certainly got the jist of what OP was saying and sent what they considered to be the most appropriate canned response. Any large organization and our politicians do the same.

I think we should lay off the OP.

He may not have spoken for CC members, but his bringing up CC was SO not good and probably counter-productive.

Carnival hates CC. It's likely that the minute you show an association with this web site, you are dismissed.

Very mixed feelings on this one. I applaud the OP for taking his concern to the source, instead of moping on CC and thinking it would matter. However I agree with many that he shouldnt have mentioned Cruise Critic. Also maybe a more professional tone COULD have helped.

People's feelings of CCL aside, he got about as much of a response as one could expect. Go try and email the President of Goldman Sach's, or Ford, or Apple, or Microsoft and tell me if you get a heartfelt response delving into your specific issues... OR if you get a lame canned response from them as well. I guarantee their customers are sending just as many "fix this" emails as Carnival gets.

Who here saw Bruce Almighty? I think they portrayed it the best- sending emails and prayers to god to respond to. One person could never do anything else (let alone keep up) if they tried to respond to all the communications sent in. Thats why large corporations have customer service departments and the infamously dreaded canned responses.

The cheerleaders can contie to say it was amazing the OP got a response at all, the haters can mock Carnival for its lame response, and lame product... but hey... its the 21st century and thats what you get from big business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

People's feelings of CCL aside, he got about as much of a response as one could expect. Go try and email the President of Goldman Sach's, or Ford, or Apple, or Microsoft and tell me if you get a heartfelt response delving into your specific issues... OR if you get a lame canned response from them as well. I guarantee their customers are sending just as many "fix this" emails as Carnival gets.

The cheerleaders can contie to say it was amazing the OP got a response at all, the haters can mock Carnival for its lame response, and lame product... but hey... its the 21st century and thats what you get from big business.

If you've never sent a letter to another cruise line you have no idea so I am surprised you would make such a comment. This isn't about Goldman Sach's, or Ford, or Apple, or Microsoft. It's about a cruise line.

I assure you that NCL does NOT handle things this way...I doubt I am the sole recipient of a very personalized response from a cruise line, so I msut assume they handle all letters as they do mine.

NCL also addresses comments and complaints right here on Cruise Critic as well. That is pretty above and beyond so I don't expect all cruise lines to be that efficient with CS but if you send a letter to the corporate office at NCL, you will get a return letter with everything you addressed in your correspondence addressed in response, item for item.

CCL doesn't.

Why? I have no clue but why doesn't matter. The fact is it is percieved that one line cares a bit more about what you think.

I agree' date=' it could have been worded better!

AKK[/quote']

Well...YEP! -1st,you're right when I think about how it came out on the Orig post:o

Sure didn't mean to be an offense, so sorry if that happened.

-2nd, my actual communication to the front office was phrased in a professional and diplomatic, "non geek-speek" way...More so initially than later...I just tried to summarize for posting...well...THAT also didn't work out well.:p

In hind-sight probably should not have dropped the CC moniker....

Anyway, my point was to keep the issue in some area of the "fore-front".

Didn't claim to include anyone personally, just those who "amen-ed" their agreement with the path Carnival was perceived to be heading, at that time.

Back then I didn't agree with the notion they were out to "cut the bands" for a cost-cutting measure.

And for awhile a some may remember, I had the ear of the actual booking director in Entertainment Dept. and listed the ships and planned contracts of some of the well known bands, and get some info on the new ones.

The task was, BTW, with the E Dept. director's blessing, was to inform Cruise Critic cruisers with a thread like "Favorite Piano Bar performers" to maintain a continual update ...you know, what bands were where, at least as much as possible, given the unknowns.

So please disregard my comments if they're bothersome, my purpose was wasn't in that spirit on this end...:)

MMMike

If you've never sent a letter to another cruise line you have no idea so I am surprised you would make such a comment. This isn't about Goldman Sach's, or Ford, or Apple, or Microsoft. It's about a cruise line.

I assure you that NCL does NOT handle things this way...I doubt I am the sole recipient of a very personalized response from a cruise line, so I msut assume they handle all letters as they do mine.

NCL also addresses comments and complaints right here on Cruise Critic as well. That is pretty above and beyond so I don't expect all cruise lines to be that efficient with CS but if you send a letter to the corporate office at NCL, you will get a return letter with everything you addressed in your correspondence addressed in response, item for item.

CCL doesn't.

Why? I have no clue but why doesn't matter. The fact is it is percieved that one line cares a bit more about what you think.

I think the why does matter. Was your letter written like OP's was....on the attack throwing out your status as a VIP and CC member, demanding certain responses? I can think of better ways to get the response OP wants from the cruiseline than how he went about it. Going on the attack put them on defensive and that's how they responded. I personally would rather not even attempt to keep a customer like that if I were in their shoes...especially since their main customer base is new cruisers who have no idea the live bands are disappearing.

I think the why does matter. Was your letter written like OP's was....on the attack throwing out your status as a VIP and CC member, demanding certain responses? I can think of better ways to get the response OP wants from the cruiseline than how he went about it. Going on the attack put them on defensive and that's how they responded. I personally would rather not even attempt to keep a customer like that if I were in their shoes...especially since their main customer base is new cruisers who have no idea the live bands are disappearing.

Au contraire...

A person getting the attention of any Public relation mgr, must and should, use whatever they can in describing their brand loyalty.

Otherwise, mgt.would have no idea. You really think the'd look up his booking numbers, etc? Is he a first timer, or NCL fanatic??

They don't have the time nor will.

So I say go after it with all the ammo you have. That is, if you really want someone to pay attention.:)

MMMIKE: Love your new avatar, a goat or donkey behind a cage, brilliant!

Al out

Well...YEP! -1st,you're right when I think about how it came out on the Orig post:o

-2nd, my actual communication to the front office was phrased in a professional and diplomatic, "non geek-speek" way...More so initially than later...I just tried to summarize for posting...well...THAT also didn't work out well.:p

Didn't claim to include anyone personally, just those who "amen-ed" their agreement with the path Carnival was perceived to be heading, at that time.

Back then I didn't agree with the notion they were out to "cut the bands" for a cost-cutting measure.

And for awhile a some may remember, I had the ear of the actual booking director in Entertainment Dept. and listed the ships and planned contracts of some of the well known bands, and get some info on the new ones.

The task was, BTW, with the E Dept. director's blessing, was to inform Cruise Critic cruisers with a thread like "Favorite Piano Bar performers" to maintain a continual update ...you know, what bands were where, at least as much as possible, given the unknowns.

So please disregard my comments if they're bothersome, my purpose was wasn't in that spirit on this end...:)

MMMike

Kudos to the OP for ringing back in. Sometimes we write things on line that come across at certain way when we actually meant something else. As for me, I'm glad to hear that his original communication with Carnival was more professional than what was posted here. Which makes their response even more frustrating. Expected, but frustrating.

The issue I have with mentioning CC is not so much that someone is speaking for someone else, it's that some people think that just mentioning CC will make people cower. I'm not saying that's what the OP was trying to do but, it most certainly could have come across that way. Sort of like the old days when people would hang a sign on their cabin door that said, "Cruise Critic On Board – You've Been Warned." Might have been all for fun, but it certainly could have been taken as arrogant. There are some people who think that, just because they're members, it gives them a certain amount of clout. Hardly.

Let me start by saying "this is MY opinion", but I believe Carnival pays more attention to the "Cruise Questionnaire" sent to individuals after their cruise. With no evidence other, than seeing a lot of blue cards on my last cruise, I would say they had the best time of their lives and would rate Carnival way up there (remember your first cruise). The hundred or so Gold, Platinum, Diamond folks, if they all brought up live bands, and they all would not, would if fact be the smallest blip on the Questionnaire. I like Carnival, a good product and I feel worth my money. Now if we could get them to "Turn down the Volume". (LOL)

CCL doesn't.

I agree with your comment about perception. Sometimes one company will excel at customer service far greater than another. I was speaking in a far broader context (which is why I mentioned other businesses.) I have heard NCL has great customer service in the past. However let me know if we can single out Carnival... does Rccl, Crystal, Hal, Princess, etc all respond with a letter from the President to you the way NCL did? I suspect (but I wont pretend to be 100%) that you will get more canned responses than personalized. I would be enthusiastic to hear you got many more personalized ones tho! :o

That's pretty deceiving. There's only about 20,000 active members according to the members page, and only a percentage of them are on these Carnival boards, I assume.

We have a member's page? But I agree, there are no where near 1 million active, participating members on CC and of those that are active, only a small percentage sail on Carnival.

MMMike

Kudos to you for taking the high road. I also agree with your concerns. We all have choices with our vacation money and who we choose to give our business to. I agree with the saying, you get what you pay for.

Different flow of information and with permission from person. Different ball of wax compare to the OP.

No attacks from me because I have rarely had anything to complain about, but that isn't the point.

I know it's tough to read a rant...or even tougher is to read a letter written by someone who doesn't grasp the art of writing very well (hey, some people have math/science minds. Left brain/right brain and all that). But I would bet that if that same letter was sent to NCL, the OP would have gotten a better response.

Completely agree with Out to sea! Stop trying to speak for "everyone." Personally if I wanted to hear a great band I'd go to a concert not a cruise ship. And I would rather they replace all music and shows with comedians if we're taking a vote!

Have you ever been on a cruise with Music Asia or BloodPower? if you haven't you have really missed out on some good times. Yes the cruise is great with or without them... but I'm telling you... it was so much fun with these bands.

Archived