After Booking - Insurance and Transfers Still Available?

sjmbruce

I think I'm going to put a deposit down on my second cruise - this time to Alaska!

I'm not ready to make insurance decisions. Can I buy Princess insurance next week even if I book today?

If I don't book through Princess EZ Air, I don't see the point in spending the extra money for Princess transfers after the cruise from Whittier to Anchorage Airport. It looks like the only benefit of Princes transfers would be EZ air flight protection if the transfer is delayed.

If for some reason I do decide to go with EZ Air or randomly decide to go with Princess for transfers anyway, can I purchase this separately from the booking process?

Thanks!

Since you are only placing a deposit, you can defer your decision on insurance until final payment date (the point at which your payment becomes less than 100% refundable and insurance would kick in).

Booking EZAir is always a separate transaction from booking the cruise. You may purchase it as long as it is still available for your sailing date; just remember the routings and fares shown can change almost daily.

Transfers can be purchased anytime, even (for the return flight) onboard after you sail whether or not you purchased air from Princess. But with Alaska the transfer by train (rather than coach) between Whittier and Anchorage is ofter sold out well before sailing.

Yes, you can still buy insurance. I believe you have 14 days after booking to be covered for pre-existing conditions.

Not on Princess. Pre-existing conditions are always exluded from coverage--though their window is only 60 days prior to the date insurance is purchased rather than the six month window on many policies.

Thank you for all of your replies. For some reason, I feel like there's a lot more to this Alaska cruise than my last one to the Panama Canal. Maybe it's the one way instead of roundtrip, plus the long post cruise port to airport logistics. Thanks again!

I have always been leery of travel insurance offered by the cruise lines. Their incentive is not to provide comprehensive coverage, e.g. Princess does not offer coverage for pre-existing conditions.

I think you would be better served by purchasing travel insurance through a 3rd party. Check either InsureMyTrip.com or SquareMouth.com for a variety of insurance offers. You can compare policies and find one that suits you best and at a price which suits your budget.

I have always been leery of travel insurance offered by the cruise lines. Their incentive is not to provide comprehensive coverage, e.g. Princess does not offer coverage for pre-existing conditions....

Actually it does. Just need to not have had any symptoms or treatments for 60 days prior to the purchase of the insurance.

.....I think you would be better served by purchasing travel insurance through a 3rd party. Check either InsureMyTrip.com or SquareMouth.com for a variety of insurance offers. You can compare policies and find one that suits you best and at a price which suits your budget.

We've had the Princess insurance pay off exactly as it should have 3 different times. I've looked at the third party insurance and not found anything that is much better for our needs at a similar price to the Princess insurance offering.

As always, do your own due diligence. Your mileage may vary.

Insurance:

I've used the Princess insurance and haven't had any problems with it paying off. As stated, they don't exclude pre-existing conditions, but a lot of conditions are not considered pre-existing if your treatment has not changed.

Medical insurance needs may be different on an Alaska cruise than elsewhere. If you are evacuated from the ship for medical reasons, you are either in the United States or in Vancouver - a real short trip to the United States.

One big advantage of Princess insurance is cruise credit for cancel for any reason (100% credit with the upgraded insurance available at no extra charge to Ruby and above). For me, that's as good as cash, because I always have another Princess cruise scheduled that I can use the credit on.

Price comparisons between Princess and third party insurance depend a lot on your age. Princess insurance is not age rated - it costs the same for a 21 year old and for a 91 year old. Third party insurance is more expensive for older cruisers. As you get older, Princess insurance becomes a better deal.

You can purchase Princess insurance any time until final payment. However, you may want to purchase it earlier if you are worried about a condition that has been stable for over sixty days reoccurring. The look back period is from the date you purchase the insurance. If you have a controlled condition that you think may reoccur, then you may be better of purchasing the Princess insurance earlier.

Transfers from Whittier:

Unless you know exactly what you are going to do, I would recommend purchasing the Princess transfers here - even if you usually don't. It is a long way from Whittier to Anchorage without a lot of other options to get there.

Archived