Booked on Jewel but concerned over bad reviews

debbk

Just off the Jewel after a great Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan. Ship is in excellent shape for its age and the crew was outstanding. Katy, who entertains, in the schooner piano bar was fabulous. If you are D+ or in a suite, Diago is one of the best concierges I've experienced. Think you will enjoy the Jewel.

My DH and I are booked to go on Jewel of the Seas in March and it is the first time I have managed to get him to agree to go on a cruise so need it to be great in order to be able to do more in the future. I have sailed myself many times before in the past so have a better idea of what to expect.

I have been reading all the reviews lately on the Jewel and they have not all been positive with lots of mention of the food not being so good and bad smells. I appreciate this ship is now getting old and is due to go into dry dock in a couple of years time but anyone had any experience of this ship lately or do you think It would be safer for me to cancel and re-book on a newer bigger ship?

I returned from being on the JOS last week. I posted my review of the ship and the excursions I took in the CC ship review forum. If you are looking for a ship that prides itself on superior customer service, than the Jewel is for you. Were some of the meals less than spectacular? Yes, but we never went hungry. Could the furniture on our balcony use a little paint on their legs? Sure, but we managed to still sit in them and enjoy every sunrise the morning offered and the frolicking dolphins as we sailed away. Were there a few passengers that seemed to not enjoy themselves? There were, however, everyone we met on the ship and on the excursions, wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. Royal Caribbean goes beyond what is expected on other cruise lines and the staff of the Jewel goes well beyond what other newer RCL ships provide. Is the ship too small? Perhaps to someone coming off an Oasis class ship, but for me it is just right. Not too small, not too big. It's like your favorite pillow at home, that certain ahh when you lay your head down. Critics will point out all the imperfections of an older ship while overlooking the comfortableness of her. The Jewel is just that, a Jewel. If you are worried about an occasional smell or chipping paint, better stay put with a brand new ship. But if you are one that doesn't judge a book by its cover and can see beyond the cosmetics, you will find what you are looking for in a cruise. The people of the Jewel and the people who sail on her.

I returned from being on the JOS last week. I posted my review of the ship and the excursions I took in the CC ship review forum. If you are looking for a ship that prides itself on superior customer service, than the Jewel is for you. Were some of the meals less than spectacular? Yes, but we never went hungry. Could the furniture on our balcony use a little paint on their legs? Sure, but we managed to still sit in them and enjoy every sunrise the morning offered and the frolicking dolphins as we sailed away. Were there a few passengers that seemed to not enjoy themselves? There were, however, everyone we met on the ship and on the excursions, wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. Royal Caribbean goes beyond what is expected on other cruise lines and the staff of the Jewel goes well beyond what other newer RCL ships provide. Is the ship too small? Perhaps to someone coming off an Oasis class ship, but for me it is just right. Not too small, not too big. It's like your favorite pillow at home, that certain ahh when you lay your head down. Critics will point out all the imperfections of an older ship while overlooking the comfortableness of her. The Jewel is just that, a Jewel. If you are worried about an occasional smell or chipping paint, better stay put with a brand new ship. But if you are one that doesn't judge a book by its cover and can see beyond the cosmetics, you will find what you are looking for in a cruise. The people of the Jewel and the people who sail on her.

WOW! So well said. We have been looking forward to our cruise on Jewel in 2 months and this just made us that more excited. I think you are basically saying that she has personality.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Was on the Jewel for a 14 day reposition last Oct/Nov. It is my favorite ship so far, absolutely beautiful, sea views everywhere and a wonderful passenger to space ratio. Found the crew attentive, helpful and courteous. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Am taking the sister ship the Brilliance next month because I enjoyed the Jewel so much, just hope the renovation did not eliminate any of this class's delights.

Remember many people cruise, all kinds of people with many different interests. So take reviews with that caveat in mind.

I fell in love with the Jewel when she was the newest ship in the fleet and am looking forward to sailing on her again this May - this time for a B2B Southern Caribbean cruise.:cool:

If you can snag an aft cabin looking over the wake, do it. There is nothing more relaxing than sitting on your balcony looking over that wake. I hate waiting until May. I want to go right now!

You have to really "read between the lines" on reviews. Over 15 years and 22 cruises I find that reviews really only help set reasonable expectations. For example if you are a food critic and expect 5 star dining, you will likely be disappointed. But if you realize that they are making 3000 meals on a ship at sea, you will find that most meals, in my opinion, are good to excellent. If you consider that if you order Prime Rib and don't like it, send it back and get something else. Try a new food, it's free.

Keep in mind, it's a ship at sea, 100% self contained and moving. They age, and things happen. They do a great job correcting issues, but you are at sea hundreds of miles away from parts, etc. So the carpet is worn in spots, but that's why it's going into rehab and is a cheaper cruise.

Cruising is all about managing expectations. IMHO most negative reviews are from those who had unrealistic expectations. If you read the negatives with a "grain of salt," and I do, and use them for some reasonable expectation ("yeah there is an odor on deck 2 between these 5 cabins so I'll book a different location,") you will find you'll likely have all expectations exceeded and have a great time.

For me, any day cruising is better than any day not cruising. Have a great time. Let us know what you think when you get back.

Very well put. Take the reviews with a grain of salt, in some cases a few pounds.

Over the years I have been crusing I have been aboard the Jewel for four cruises, one of the being a transatlantic lasting 16 nights. Never once have I had a problem aboard the Jewel, or any other RCL ship for that matter. Sure, there may have been a few hickups but usually weather related and you can't blame RCL in any way, shape or form for that one. But even with a few weather issues I ALWAYS have a great time, just go with the flow and don't get mad if your plans have to change a little bit.

No point in getting upset to the point of needing a medic because your flowers smelled too much like flowers or the menu in the dinning room was the wrong color and clashed with your purse. I have seen people gripe and complain about the craziest things, most of them seem to gripe because they think people listen to them.

With that said GO and have fun! :)

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

On the 10 most popular ships list from Cruise Critic that they posted yesterday, Jewel is there, among Oasis and Allure so that must mean something :)

If you think about how many fewer sail in Jewel compared to all the other ships on the list of 10 most popular the ratio has got to put the Jewel at or near the top of that list

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We are sailing on the JOS & this is our first cruise on RCI back 2 back in Feb.2014. We are really looking forward to this cruise & returning to the southern caribbean:).

JMO, I don't believe shipboard food is that bad...has a lot of salt in it at times but so much better than say "Disney World" that was bad food.:(

Betty

I can say without hesitation that the Jewel is my favorite in the fleet so far. Terrific design, wonderful staff... and the food? Well, it's not a five-star restaurant in NY, but dining opportunities are not the main reason I take to the sea, so I'm fine with it.

Don't place too much emphasis on what others may log on and complain about. If I did, I never would have booked my most recent cruise on the Explorer -- and that was GREAT time!! Yes, she's old and showing her wrinkles, but there's still great majesty about her.

Go, enjoy, and don't look for things. Just enjoy, experience, and have a blast.

Papaflamingo had a great post/ attitude!! We were on the Jewel in 2005 and always said it was our favorite ship. Since then, Navigator, Voyager, Enchantment, Sovereign, Freedom, Liberty, some more than once and with Hal, Celebrity and Disney thrown in. Our recent was the Allure.....wow, all the bells and whistles! All great cruises, but being on the Jewel is a real cruise.

Ozarkmills had some great comments.

The bigger ships have so much to do and see, but way more planning for shows, specialty dinners, need to reserve this and reserve that. Takes away from the overall experience of just enjoying the ship and the sea. We have the Jewel booked for March and cannot wait to see the ship again!

Out of all the ships, I think Jewel was my favorite. The staff was awesome, the food was the best of all ships I have been on, and the ship was extremely clean.

Sure she shows some age, but she is beautiful....

No smells...no bad food that I found...and great staff.

You will have a great time !

• 5 weeks later...
My DH and I are booked to go on Jewel of the Seas in March and it is the first time I have managed to get him to agree to go on a cruise so need it to be great in order to be able to do more in the future. I have sailed myself many times before in the past so have a better idea of what to expect.

I have been reading all the reviews lately on the Jewel and they have not all been positive with lots of mention of the food not being so good and bad smells. I appreciate this ship is now getting old and is due to go into dry dock in a couple of years time but anyone had any experience of this ship lately or do you think It would be safer for me to cancel and re-book on a newer bigger ship?

Hope your dh has a positive attitude for the cruise. Sounds like you love cruising. He is a grown man and can either choose to enjoy or not. It is not your responsibility to make sure he has a good time. Just my opinion. Hope the cruise is fantastic

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to comment on our experience last week on the Jewel. We had a great time and encountered good service everywhere with the exception of Chops (poor server that day). I thought the food was good although the portions have definitely gotten smaller over the years. The CD was excellent.

For perspective we are D+ with over 30 cruises under our belts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We sailed on the Jewel in October of 2013, and we thought the ship was in great shape. Yes, she will be ready for her makeover, when it comes in the next couple of years, but she is by no means poorly maintained.

I thought the food in the MDR was outstanding. The Windjammer was good, but I've had better breakfasts and lunches on the Majesty and the Rhapsody. But, with any large buffet, there is always something good to eat, if you just look at all of the options.

Just wanted to comment on our experience last week on the Jewel. We had a great time and encountered good service everywhere with the exception of Chops (poor server that day). I thought the food was good although the portions have definitely gotten smaller over the years. The CD was excellent.

For perspective we are D+ with over 30 cruises under our belts.

Thanks for reporting back- we are on in 10 days! :D the small portions work for us, there are so many "eating opportunities" that I'm happy I dont have to waste any food by being too full. Of course I don't cruise to eat anyway, so Im not a good barometer, others may miss the more "foodie" experience of the past. Who was the CD? Also, we've been told muster was only 8pm, was that your experience too?

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks for reporting back- we are on in 10 days! :D the small portions work for us, there are so many "eating opportunities" that I'm happy I dont have to waste any food by being too full. Of course I don't cruise to eat anyway, so Im not a good barometer, others may miss the more "foodie" experience of the past. Who was the CD? Also, we've been told muster was only 8pm, was that your experience too?

The CD was Carly B. She was English, very energetic & funny. Even danced in the Vortex one night!

As far as dinner portions go, one can always order a couple of appetizers or entrees if they are hungry. The lobster tails we thought were very large compared to some cruises - I could barely finish two.

Muster was at 8pm with the sailaway at 8:30.

If it makes you feel any better my Father and I are booked on the Splendour from Santos(Sao Paulo) Brazil to Barcelona in April. We have been on the Serenade and Navigator both Trans Atlantics and loved them.

I chose this itinerary knowing it was on a smaller ship and that not a problem. We have a lot of the same features as the Serenade and Navigator. What I'm looking forward to is the Park Cafe, Boardwalk Dog House, Solarium, R Bar, Viking Crown Lounge and Chops.

On our last cruise we went to Portofino's twice in the unlikely event our next cruise did not have one onboard. It was great. On The Serenade we went to Chops twice so I look forward to going back to Chops. It was nice to make a break last cruise and go to Portofino's.

I love good food and I know that Royal is not your 5 star restaurant but my gosh I have had some of the best food on Royal than I've had at a landbased restaurant. I really enjoy the fruit soups they have in the MDR, the delicious entrees appetizers and desserts. I have never sent anything back or could not find anything that I did not like.

The menus were varied enough in the MDR and the Windjammer had more selections then I could ever imagine. I have been to some bad buffets and I love having breakfast and afternoon snacks in the Windjammer.

On the Navigator the Promenade Cafe was great and I know that I won't miss it as there is the Park Cafe with their famous roastbeef sandwich among other things.

People set their standards too high and then are disappointed. I set my standards a bit lower but not too low and not to high and come away WOWed.

There is so much entertainment onboard and I have attended every single evening show and love the sing alongs in the Schooner Bar and dancing in the Disco. I look forward to enjoying the Viking Lounge.

Smaller is better in a lot of ways. I love waking up rolling out of bed and being able to walk up the stairs or take the elevator to the MDR or Windjammer in the morning.

I love the Oceanview Staterooms on the 3rd floor as its close to the Dining Room. I love not having long hallways to navigate to stairs or the elevator. Being able to go from Deck 10 to Deck 3 without a lot of hassle is great.

You really do have to read between the lines of the reviews and remember what is good for one person may not be good for you or what is good for you may not be good for the other person.

I read these reviews with a grain of salt. I guess there are some people who are so refined to the point that they complain about everything.

Let me tell you I was once at a steakhouse where the meat was tough and they did not cook it well. Well on Royal I had better meat than I had at this restaurant. Our servers have been more attentive than at a landbased restaurant. I could not believe how they remembered what we like and they were so efficient.

Too many people do not communicate their wants to the staff. If I want to make the show I tell our server and he or she works with us to get us out on time. If we want to relax over coffee then thats fine too.

On one night the Head Waiter came and spoke with us and he knew I love chocolate so the next night he brought out this delicious chocolate dessert for me to try and I loved it.

So each to his own with regards to the reviews.