Welcome!

LauraS

Discounts for cruises? Yes for seniors...Usually a less desireable area of ship, but we can hope for better deals. I would like to try a suite some 7 day cruise. JY.

Not totally true. Had a JS on Mariner of the Seas with Senior discount and saved $250pp. Had a Cat. 11 on Carnival Glory and Senior Discount saved $230pp. I was able to pick my room both times.

• 2 weeks later...

We got back late yesterday afternoon after a visit with our travel agent to put the last details in place for our next cruise --

10 days, starting about half-way down the coast of Norway, and ending in Oslo, next April. Then we spend a few days in Oslo (as many as our bank account can afford.. Norway is expensive!) We're cruising on the MS Fram, a Hurtigruten ferry, and are so excited! I say "we" -- I'm 62 (will be 63 by the time of the cruise) and use a wheelchair; my husband is 68. The ferry, while nice, has many fewer amenities than the larger cruise lines -- but sails much deeper into the fjords, stopping at a lot of small towns along the way, and is a real "working ferry" -- at some of the stops passengers can't even get off, but can watch cargo being loaded/unloaded, and see the town from the ship. My very gregarious husband is already planning all the conversations he intends to have with the crew and other passengers (maximum of 318), I'm looking forward to quiet days on deck, watching the fjords slip by.

All we have left to do is book a car and driver to take us from the London airport to Dover, where we'll start our cruise next April...and then figure out how to pack all the warm bulky clothes we'll need, as the weather in Norway that time of year is listed as being not much warmer than the mid-50's (F) during the day, mid 30's at night!, with rain (and sometimes snow showers!) on occasion.

But it really will be a trip of a lifetime, and we're really excited!. If any of you have been to these cities, we're open for suggestions of "must see's":

Stavanger, Eidfjord, Flam, Alesund, Olden, Bergen, and of course Oslo.

• 5 months later...

Hi.

I see that some posters here thought the forum was a goner even when there were posts that were only a few weeks apart. If so, what kind of shape is it in now?!

Scanning through the posts on here I noticed a preponderance of people close to 55 ( many seemingly very ambivalent about reaching that age) and not many who are substantially older. Of course those who are much older are also not as computer-savvy.

If anyone's still out there--my wife and I are 75+. It occurs to me that there might be the same problem with this forum as there is with magazines for seniors. They try to be all things to all over age 55. They feature younger seniors in ads, handsome and trim and with endless stamina. Those images are hard for older folks to relate to.

On the other hand, those just reaching, or close to 55 may not have much in common with people old enough to be their parents. A 55+ forum lumps us all together.

So, maybe a 55+ forum is casting too large a net, just as the senior mags are doing. If the forum were broken into 2 parts, one for those 55 and older and one for those 75+ for example (now that I think of it, maybe the forum should be split 3 ways!) more people might be willing to get on board, so to speak. As it is, boomers don't want to be classed with older folks, and older folks may not have that much in common with those young enough to be their children.

Sorry, I could have edited this better, but--there it is!

Ray and Rachel

Dear Old,

Great idea! I haven't been on since '05. I turned 75 last year so I would fall into your second catagory. One reason I don't respond to alot of these exchanges is that I am a poor speller and there is no spell check. Not to great of a typistm either.

Chill cat, thanks!

You make yourself clear and that's all that counts.

Maybe I should have started a new topic instead of tacking on to the sticky, maybe a lot of people wouldn't look there for the latest postings.

Ray.

• 8 months later...

Hi, all. I just recently joined and found this thread, but it doesn't look like anyone has posted on it in the past couple of years, unless I'm missing something. I am a 66 year old married female and would like to get to know others that like to cruise. If you're out there, I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Dove 25

I posted earlier that it looked like no one had posted in the past couple of years, but I guess I was on the wrong page because I found some that posted recently. Hope to get to know some of you. I plan on going on a cruise early next year, so it will be interesting to read what a lot of you are saying.

Dove25

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi.

So, maybe a 55+ forum is casting too large a net, just as the senior mags are doing. If the forum were broken into 2 parts, one for those 55 and older and one for those 75+ for example (now that I think of it, maybe the forum should be split 3 ways!) more people might be willing to get on board, so to speak. As it is, boomers don't want to be classed with older folks, and older folks may not have that much in common with those young enough to be their children.

Sorry, I could have edited this better, but--there it is!

Ray and Rachel

That's not a bad idea although I'm not sure I fit anywhere really. I'm 57 but have a 14-year-old. (Yep, I started late.) So I relate to the parents of teens in terms of kid activities, but those parents are considerably younger than I am. Still, I agree that 55+ is a seriously huge spread.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Old,

Great idea! I haven't been on since '05. I turned 75 last year so I would fall into your second catagory. One reason I don't respond to alot of these exchanges is that I am a poor speller and there is no spell check. Not to great of a typistm either.

Hey, we can still be old and computer literate. If you want a spell-checker, just download iespell if you're using internet explorer, or the appropriate spellchecker for your browser, and then it's only a right-mouse click away, even here in the CC boards.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here for a while but would like to rejoin the group. I will be 59 next month and have been cruising for almost 5 years ( and tragically addicted to it). I was a fulltime highschool teacher for 32 years and now 'fill in' on a casual basis only. This helps pay for our cruises and reminds me why I retired early.

I was thinking that on our most recent cruises most passengers were over 55, so can't understand why this forum is so quiet. (That's not such a bad thing anyway).

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just found this thread, I have just booked my 1st cruise where I will be travelling solo any advice for me, I am 62 years young, usually do my own thing regarding tours etc but as will be alone this time am thinking to use ships tours for safety.

• 2 weeks later...
Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair!

For that reason I am excited to see this board and will look forward to sharing experiences with all posters. I have been on two cruises and will be sailing again on the Mariner Oct. 29 to the Caribbean. Thus far my sailmates are my brother, his wife and once with my brother's mother-in-law. We always have a great time. The only problem I've encountered is that I'm much more active than the ladies (SIL has MS and her mom is several years older than me and doesn't move about very well). My brother and I love being active but I fee guilty taking him away from his DW so I sometimes forego things I'd like to do during my cruise.

I'd love to hook up with one or two ladies who'd like to cruise once or twice a year. I'm single, not rich by any means but do save all year long for my vacation time. If I sailed twice a year, each cruise would have to be less than 7 days. If I onlky go once a year, I can go on a 7 to 9 day cruise. I really love the eastern Caribbean, bu wasn't impressed with the

Hello

Well after reading this I am sure glad to see that you like to travel but need some one as well. I would love to travel but who do you find if your husband can not travel with you ? Its not like you put a sign in the window and say come with me I need you to travel sort of thing lol

I am turning 59 in a couple of wks and find it so hard to go anywhere as I hate to go by myself but there are so many places I would like to see but to find that person who you can trust and one that is honest , just seems to me they must be all hidding lol

Anyways thanks for writing this I sure do feel better and yes having a group is much more fun than just one

Pom

Pom - as you can see from my sig, I've put a lot of years and sea miles on since I posted the info you quoted. I'm 62 now and try to cruise about 3-4 times a year.

I've been single a long time but have yet to do a solo cruise (it's definitely on my bucket list, maybe for this fall!). In my "old" post, I mentioned cruising with my family on a couple of occasions. Prior to my Mariner cruise, I started posting on that sailing's Meet & Mingle thread then met and formed friendships that are still strong today with several other cruisers.

One of those friends introduced me to another woman whose husband is disabled and doesn't like to do "beach" cruises. She loves to cruise (he has no objection because he likes to hunt, ect.), but, like me, she needed a cabin. We bit the bullet, booked a cruise together having never met, and now we frequently cruise together, even though she lives clear across the country in Texas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...put yourself out there, chat here on CC with other cruisers or invite a female relative or friend to join you on a cruise. You'll begin to meet other women who would love to share a cabin and soon you'll have a host of sailing companions!

Let me know how things go for you! Please don't give up and forgo cruising...talk cruising with everyone you see or talk to...I'm sure the results will be positive! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi! Is this thread still alive? If so, it sounds like a good place to get advice regarding cruise selection. We are seniors with a few "issues" who only discovered cruising this year. Never thought that I would be interested, but it worked well for us in January when we went to the Mediterranean on NCL.

My question is what destinations would you recommend for us and do any particular cruise lines do better for seniors?

As you can see we have gone ahead and booked two more NCL cruises--to the Caribbean and a repositioning around the Panama Canal.

A final question...senior discount? We get a senior discount??

Thanks!!

Becky

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi- I too belong on the Senior forum,:) but am not old when it comes to navigating this site. My husband and I are going on Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore on January 7, 2012 and wanted to meet some others who may be interested in playing cards on the same cruise. Where is the best place to post to find people on the same cruise? :confused:

Hi nanci,

Congrats, we are cruising this January too! Not on your ship though:(. We are trying Azamara for the first time. I'm quite excited to try this line. Just to let you know, it would be better to post this on your roll call. Do you know about roll calls? You can be in touch with people on your cruise and get invited to the meet and mingle parties. Give it a try! Good luck and Bon Voyage!

• 1 month later...

We have reached the age of "Senior Discounts" too, but we are active and love to travel, especially by cruise ships. Have done RCI, Southern Caribbean and Princess, Alaska.

Are going on our next cruise on the Allure of the Seas (RCI) Eastern Caribbean on May 13, 2012. Much prefer RCI. Can't wait to experience the Allure!

I am still working but my husband is retired. He has a couple of medical issues but we haven't had any problems with getting accessible rooms or a scooter for him anywhere.

Highly recommend Southern Caribbean and Alaska. Both were great!

• 1 month later...

Anyone out there looking to share a private Handicapped tour van for a short tour of Nassau and then to Atlantis. Van pick up at a pre-arranged time from Atlantis and returns to the straw market. The tour company was recommended on the Roll call. Van has accomodations for one more scooter/wheelchair , 2 more passengers total including the handicapped person. My husband uses a scooter and is able to walk but needs to bring the scooter for traveling any distance. Apparently, RCI does not have a handicapped tour available in Nassau . Any interest?

My cousin forwarded me the above info...I am also on the same cruise(with a group of 11), and I am the only one in the group who uses a scooter. Can you provide any more info re the above. I use a scooter - I cannot walk any distance or stand for long period of time and may be interested in this tour