Scientists discover Norovirus can be killed with copper!!

There is hope for those of us who have a fear of such things :o

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2013-09-11/discovery-of-copper-killing-norovirus-could-save-lives/

Obviously not a substitute for good hand washing......but if it helps, it could be a game changer!

People steal cooper to sell it because it's so valuable. I can't see the metal handles, etc on board being replaced with copper.

Handwashing works great.

People steal cooper to sell it because it's so valuable. I can't see the metal handles, etc on board being replaced with copper.

Handwashing works great.

I agree, hand washing does work great - but I think copper could be good too.

I see your point about copper being valuable, although I can't see anyone stealing copper hand rails etc from a cruise ship (or bars, clubs, pubs, hospitals etc).

I agree, hand washing does work great - but I think copper could be good too.

I see your point about copper being valuable, although I can't see anyone stealing copper hand rails etc from a cruise ship (or bars, clubs, pubs, hospitals etc).

Not stealing it, but just the sheer cost of installing it.

Shoot, around here people will crawl under and break into houses to get copper plumbing. They end up doing terrible damage.

And I work at a hospital - a year or two ago, we had someone sneaking into the hospital dressed as an employee, going into empty rooms, dismantling the TV's from their wall mount, and then wheeling them on out of the building. People have also tried to steal prescriptions out of patient's charts.

People are capable of anything. Unfortunately.

Thanks for posting this link.

Two thoughts:

1.) It has been known for decades that microorganisms such as viruses and bacteria do not survive well on metal surfaces. Just for fun...the next time you're at a medical facility, notice that the door handles, cabinet door and drawer pulls, and sink faucets are metal. And the next time you use a public restroom, notice that there is a metal plate on the inside of the restroom door. There's a method to this madness...

2.) Copper is expensive and would be costly to install on the ships. Although microorganisms wouldn't survive well on these surfaces, it wouldn't completely prevent the spread of disease. Just imagine a passenger sneezing into her hands and then picking up an item at the souvenier shop. Good handwashing is the most effective means that we have.

Thanks for this information. It's a great idea, but likely not feasible and wouldn't be the most effective means to prevent communicable disease. :)

Thanks for posting this link.

Two thoughts:

1.) It has been known for decades that microorganisms such as viruses and bacteria do not survive well on metal surfaces. Just for fun...the next time you're at a medical facility, notice that the door handles, cabinet door and drawer pulls, and sink faucets are metal. And the next time you use a public restroom, notice that there is a metal plate on the inside of the restroom door. There's a method to this madness...

2.) Copper is expensive and would be costly to install on the ships. Although microorganisms wouldn't survive well on these surfaces, it wouldn't completely prevent the spread of disease. Just imagine a passenger sneezing into her hands and then picking up an item at the souvenier shop. Good handwashing is the most effective means that we have.

Thanks for this information. It's a great idea, but likely not feasible and wouldn't be the most effective means to prevent communicable disease. :)

They now put zinc flakes in shingle roofs to prevent mold, same idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes copper is more expensive than steel but it is not prohibitively so that they can't incorporate it into new ship designs. They don't have to have solid copper handles. A patina of copper won't work as it would wear off fast but a coating of a copper alloy to give it hardness would work just fine. If you are designing a new ship and have to get all new hardware anyways it could be a consideration, at least on the public railings and door handles. The room handles don't have to be of the same material as they only get used by the few staff who enter and the occupants of the room.

Right then. I want the contract to polish all of those copper surfaces that will require constant polishing to remove the tarnish and scratches that will start appearing almost instantly. That should fund pretty much all of my future vacations. Looks like I'll be able to afford that Royal Loft Suite after all.

Not an entirely new concept... For years medicines for salt water aquariums have been largely copper based. Kills parasites and other micro critters, but is also harmful to coral, so has to be selectively used. Don't just think in terms of using metal handles and plating and such. My aquarium meds were liquids with copper in them. Maybe used as a cleaner or handwash or something.

As a disclaimer, I am no scientist or metallurgist or anything... just brainstorming. For all I know it may not be safe, practical, or cost effective to use that way either... l

Nothing new here at all. Metalls like copper and silver as well are known for a long time for this effect.

There´s even companies producing mesh like door handle covers to retrofit door handles for this effect.

However the cost vs. helpful outcome is rather minimal so to many places it´s not realy feasible to go this route.

The room handles don't have to be of the same material as they only get used by the few staff who enter and the occupants of the room.

But in here is a high risk. Infected occupants use door handle -> stateroom attendant uses door handle -> stateroom attendant transfers to all door handles in his section and also to other places inside all those staterooms -> passengers of those staterooms pick it up and you have a wide spread of it.

Another thing to consider, is copper allergies. I can't touch copper without my hands breaking out, or whatever part of me touches it. I had to get rid of my copper jewelry making supplies, and some copper pots. If i knew a ship had a LOT of copper in places i would routinely touch (ie.door handle), i wouldn't cruise on it...

3rd cruise: Carnival Legend, January 26th - February 2nd, 2014

Archived