Taking a 4 Year Old on a 26 Day Transatlantic/Baltics Cruise....

CI66774

on the new Royal Princess next April. I want to get some big trips out of the way before she's in a real school (she's in pre-k now) and I would hesitate to take her out. Anyone done any long cruises with young kids? Any insight is appreciated.

I did a 15 day crossing (back & forth from LA to Hawaii) with my twin 4 year olds. We had four ports out of the 15 days and we still weren't ready to get off the ship when it was over. I regret not doing the longer cruises before my kids started school. We were on a ship with no extra amenities beyond the kids club and we still had plenty to do each day. I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Best,

Mia

If your 4YO is pretty interested/comfortable in play groups, pre-school, daycare settings, the kid's program is generally a great situation for any length cruise. And with a TA there are more days at sea and less port days -- for a 4YO 5 days in a row in a busy city port can be stressful.

Baltic ports tend to have a few more little-kid centric attractions for when you do have multiple port days stacked up. Stockholm has a new kid's museum. Copenhagen has Tivoli Gardens which has some good rides for little kids, etc.

Younger can be a bit "clingy" some older kids start thinking they are too old/cool for the kids programs.

You're smart to be thinking about doing this now. Your 4 year old is old enough to participate in the kids' club activities, but young enough that you don't have to worry about missing school. Also, when kids hit their teens, they resist being dragged away from their friends for extended periods of time.

About ten years ago, some empty nester friends of ours told us to travel as much as possible with our kids when they were little, because it would be much harder when they were teens. Now our DD's are almost 17 and 12, and that advice has proved very true. It's gotten incredibly difficult to plan a trip of any length that doesn't run afoul of their school schedule, extracurricular activities, summer options, and their desire to hang out with their friends. I'm grateful that we traveled extensively with them for the last 10 years. Right now our cruising plans are on hiatus while we do college visits with our older DD. We're hoping to do a graduation Baltic cruise in 2015.

We were on a 10 day cruise and my then 4 YO grandson wanted to go home and get some of his toys. He missed them. Aren't you having fun, I asked. Of course, I want to get my toys and come back on the ship!

LOL...Now THAT sounds exactly like something my son would say...

Thanks for the responses. I agree once she gets older, it will be harder to tear her away from school (and by then she won't even want to be seen with Mommy). I think I'm going to do it, then maybe another 26 day in early 2015 to the British Isles, Iceland, and a transatlantic back to FLL. Thanks again!

You're smart to be thinking about doing this now. Your 4 year old is old enough to participate in the kids' club activities, but young enough that you don't have to worry about missing school. Also, when kids hit their teens, they resist being dragged away from their friends for extended periods of time.

Exactly, I wish we could get the time off work to take long trips. The older he gets, the more difficult it will be. I dread the day when I'm no longer his #1 bff :(

Enjoy the time with your daughter, you won't regret it. :)

Exactly, I wish we could get the time off work to take long trips. The older he gets, the more difficult it will be. I dread the day when I'm no longer his #1 bff :(

Enjoy the time with your daughter, you won't regret it. :)

Luckily, my employer allows me a tremendous amount of flexibility and I can take whatever time off I want (part of my negotiation when I joined the company) - unpaid if I exceed my vacation, etc., of course. :p I just booked yet another long trip on the Ruby Princess - a British Isles/Iceland/transatlantic trip next August. Then I'm thinking about a 2 month Transpacific/Australia/Asia then back to the U.S. HAL doesn't have this particular trip published for 2015 yet, but it looks tempting. I think this type of world culture education will be invaluable for her and me. :)

You've inspired me to start looking at Transatlantic cruises next year (or the following year). DD will be 3 next year and I'd love to do it with her before she is in school. She's been begging to go back on a "big boat" ever since we got off our cruise in May. Ideally, I'd love to do a spring sailing with Kukenhoff Gardens after to see the tulips (we went before DD & it was amazing...she'd love the flowers and the petting zoo).

I'm sure you'll have a great time OP! Thanks for making me think of doing it too!

You've inspired me to start looking at Transatlantic cruises next year (or the following year). DD will be 3 next year and I'd love to do it with her before she is in school. She's been begging to go back on a "big boat" ever since we got off our cruise in May. Ideally, I'd love to do a spring sailing with Kukenhoff Gardens after to see the tulips (we went before DD & it was amazing...she'd love the flowers and the petting zoo).

I'm sure you'll have a great time OP! Thanks for making me think of doing it too!

You're most welcome! It's my belief that, at the end of the day, our most prized possessions are our memories of the wonderful times spent with family and friends. What could be better than doing that in those countries we only read about? :)

Archived