Egyptian ports of call cancelled

Palmeat

We're booked on the 35-day Odyssey Singapore to Rome itinerary departing 25 March 2014. Advised this morning that all Egyptian ports of call have been cancelled on our cruise (Safaga, Sharm el Sheikh, Sohkna) to be replaced by revised itinerary from Salalah Oman to transit Suez canal transit and then Haifa, Ashdod, Heraklion (Crete), Katakolon, Corfu - then back to original schedule of Sorrento and Rome.

Not surprising and as we've visited all the Egyptian stops previously, not too disappointing. Of course, it remains to be seen if the Israel itinerary 'sticks' (we've experienced cancellations previously due to escalations in the conflict in that region).

On the back of the recently launched 2015 itineraries which appear quite exciting (for Seabourn), I wonder if a little more imagination might have been applied to exploring possibilities between Mumbai and Salalah, rather than resorting to safer, 'same old' Med options.

We'll stick with the cruise as I expect Seabourn has us by the small print, but my guess is this revised Mumbai to Rome itinerary will be less attractive resulting in cancellations and surplus capacity so we've asked our agents to explore upgrade and OBC possibilities at an appropriate time.

I was advised as well about this revision this morning and have to wonder why they wouldn't gave done an extended Overnight in Dubai and/or Mumbai. I understand there is only so much you can see from Sslalah to Aquaba..other than Kosh, Muscat, Fujeirah (than very much but no thanks).

I have to wonder if we will even make it into the ports of Haifa and Asdod with the escalating conflicts....Oh well look at this wau many more sea days to lounge around and be lazy in the sun.;)

It's perfectly understanding why they did this and if I was on that cruise I would be pleased that they made the decision.

On a related note I really like Oman but places such as Muscat.

Salalah, Oman is really a good day to consider staying on the ship.

Keith

We're booked on the 35-day Odyssey Singapore to Rome itinerary departing 25 March 2014. Advised this morning that all Egyptian ports of call have been cancelled on our cruise (Safaga, Sharm el Sheikh, Sohkna) to be replaced by revised itinerary from Salalah Oman to transit Suez canal transit and then Haifa, Ashdod, Heraklion (Crete), Katakolon, Corfu - then back to original schedule of Sorrento and Rome........................

We are on the Legend, March 17, 2014 Singapore to Athens, and, according to Seabourn's website, the 3 Egyptian ports are still advertised. NYKshipping, do you have any inside information?

I was advised as well about this revision this morning and have to wonder why they wouldn't gave done an extended Overnight in Dubai and/or Mumbai..........

We are only scheduled to be in Dubai from 7am until 4pm and I am wondering, as there will be new passengers embarking, what time we would need to be back for the safety drill.

We are only scheduled to be in Dubai from 7am until 4pm and I am wondering, as there will be new passengers embarking, what time we would need to be back for the safety drill.

PAX Drill will most likely be held at 3:15pm and you would need to be onboard by 3:00pm at the latest.;)

Until final payment Seabourn does not have you by the fine print.

I may have misunderstood, but over the pond here Seabourn holds our 10% deposit booking. This offers an opportunity to switch cruises I'm sure, but not to cancel without loss.

Just curious why the visit to Dubai is so short....anyone?

This is now a standard Marine Dept practice that Seabourn believes that by leaving port by 4:00pm instead of the usual 5:00pm or 6:00pm as most other cruise lines leave, that they will save on fuel cost, being able to go slower to the next port and also avoiding port congestion and getting out first thus avoiding delays. What a shame because Dubai deserves an overnight or at least a late sail at bare minimum. They will be do a large loading in Dubai that day so pray that the containers haven't arrived on time and/or are late making for a forced overnight....happened to us in Dec 2011 on the Legend.:)

What did you do in Salalah?

Keith

We took the Seabourn excursion (something we usually don't do as we get a private driver, also not through Seabourn). It was a small port and you wouldn't see anything if you didn't get off ship. There were about 25 of us and we toured the town which was considerably larger and more modern that I would think. Our guide was great and spoke excellent English and he was funny, gave us lots of insights into their religion and his recent marriage. We saw a lot of the countryside, rather desert, and the building and he explained how they did it. We drove along the beach. It was afternoon and terribly hot.

Not a soul could be seen in the water. About every mile was a playground for the children. We stopped at an oasis where there was a blow hole that everyone had to stand on and get wet and cool and beautiful rock formations. The Marneef Cave was there. We went to another oasis that was away from the ocean and we had to get off the road a number of times because the camels have the right of way. We did get off the bus and all had our pictures taken with the camels who were really a little scrawny not like the pretty ones in Cairo at pyramids. We had to get off road for the wandering cows too! We went to Job's tomb (about 27 kilos from Salalah in Beit Zorbj in the mountains) and then to a market where they sold many many types of frankincense and the burners and everyone bought some. Very cheap. We were told this was the place to get it. The smell was a little overwhelming in the shops, but it was not a little market, quite good size. I got some more white tops and my husband got his costume...his dishdasha (sp?) and camel thongs and headpiece for Arabian night on ship...all of it was about $30!!

At Job's tomb we met two young girls in a budget rent a car and we thought they might be with another cruiseline. Nope. One was in the Army stationed in Afganistan and the other was with the foreign service in Yemen. They had taken a leave and were exploring for a week. Both very pretty and not even 30. I asked how they got those assignments and they said "low on the totem pole". Oh to be young and fearless again!!

If you want any pictures glad to send if you sent me your email address: nancy@arnettonline.net. I thought the awful port was Sur. Should never have gotten off ship.

Relative to Dubai...we felt the same way, much too short but Paula we again had a driver who was excellent and we were there on a Sunday so we did two days worth in time allotted. We have his card if anyone wants it.

We took the Seabourn excursion (something we usually don't do as we get a private driver, also not through Seabourn). It was a small port and you wouldn't see anything if you didn't get off ship. There were about 25 of us and we toured the town which was considerably larger and more modern that I would think. Our guide was great and spoke excellent English and he was funny, gave us lots of insights into their religion and his recent marriage. We saw a lot of the countryside, rather desert, and the building and he explained how they did it. We drove along the beach. It was afternoon and terribly hot.

Not a soul could be seen in the water. About every mile was a playground for the children. We stopped at an oasis where there was a blow hole that everyone had to stand on and get wet and cool and beautiful rock formations. The Marneef Cave was there. We went to another oasis that was away from the ocean and we had to get off the road a number of times because the camels have the right of way. We did get off the bus and all had our pictures taken with the camels who were really a little scrawny not like the pretty ones in Cairo at pyramids. We had to get off road for the wandering cows too! We went to Job's tomb (about 27 kilos from Salalah in Beit Zorbj in the mountains) and then to a market where they sold many many types of frankincense and the burners and everyone bought some. Very cheap. We were told this was the place to get it. The smell was a little overwhelming in the shops, but it was not a little market, quite good size. I got some more white tops and my husband got his costume...his dishdasha (sp?) and camel thongs and headpiece for Arabian night on ship...all of it was about $30!!

At Job's tomb we met two young girls in a budget rent a car and we thought they might be with another cruiseline. Nope. One was in the Army stationed in Afganistan and the other was with the foreign service in Yemen. They had taken a leave and were exploring for a week. Both very pretty and not even 30. I asked how they got those assignments and they said "low on the totem pole". Oh to be young and fearless again!!

If you want any pictures glad to send if you sent me your email address: nancy@arnettonline.net. I thought the awful port was Sur. Should never have gotten off ship.

Relative to Dubai...we felt the same way, much too short but Paula we again had a driver who was excellent and we were there on a Sunday so we did two days worth in time allotted. We have his card if anyone wants it.

Nancy, it's good that you got to experience the area. We have been there before but we just didn't have an interest in seeing Job's tomb or the tree that some people see.

We do really like Muscat, Oman as I mentioned in an earlier post. Remarkable city.

Oman has come a long way since the present King overthrew his father. A lot of emphasis has been places on education for the children and modernizing some of the cities.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Very much appreciated.

Keith

Keith. I think you would have liked the tour. Maybe it was mis-billed. Jobs tomb took about 15 minutes but the drive there was worth the 15 minutes plus all the other stops and experiences. We too loved Muscat and the Grand Mosque and museum and palace. It was lovely to see that city also. Yes many changes we were told. Lots of money can do wonders and Oman seems to stay out of trouble with all the bad guys! This was one of my favorite trips, luckily we were between riots with perfect weather (if you like consistently hot, and I do). I'm a big fan of the "journeys". I love the 30-45 day trips. More than that is too much and less doesn't seem worthwhile to go so far. Sure hope we get to do Capetown, etc. 2015/16. Maybe we will meet one of these days! Why don't you do some of all of the Med next fall?

Nancy, you are probably right. We probably should probably have been more adventurous. You are also right about the importance of getting away from a port and for that matter not judging an area by a port.

I do hope we get to sail with you. We are actually doing some of the Med next May. Thanks you once again for taking the time to share what you did in Salalalh

we have been to Salalah twice and did that same trip as Nancy mentioned. We enjoyed it, seeing the countryside, the camels and the beautiful coastline. I bought some frankinsense but so far have NOT been able to get it to burn! I love the smell of it and have tried many ways, over candles, bbq fire starters etc etc. Any clues? I also bought a burner from the same stall, but I am sure they were burning with little fires made of twigs etc. Not quite what you would want burning in your home!

We've just booked on Soujourn Singapore to Athens in March-April 2015 which also stops at the Red Sea Egyptian ports. Of course, they are still "live", but if they do get cancelled (for the third time on a cruise for me :( ) I'll live with it, but I'll be very cranky if the other highlights, Rangoon and Petra, get chopped! I guess that is less likely. :)

We've just booked on Soujourn Singapore to Athens in March-April 2015 which also stops at the Red Sea Egyptian ports. Of course, they are still "live", but if they do get cancelled (for the third time on a cruise for me :( ) I'll live with it, but I'll be very cranky if the other highlights, Rangoon and Petra, get chopped! I guess that is less likely. :)
I hope you do. Petra is not to be missed. It should be the eighth wonder of the world in my opinion!

Archived