Philip Stein watches

lance32

Is this your first Philip Stein watch? If so, do yourself a favor, and go on the Philip Stein website first and do a little research. In order to retain your warranty, you must have your batteries (yes, there are two - one for each watch face) replaced by a certified Philip Stein jeweler. Make sure that you have one relatively close to your home base.

I've had my Philip Stein for over 6 years, and I LOVE it, but I didn't do my research ahead of time, and have had to travel as far as Stockton, CA (3 hour drive from Reno) just to have the batteries replaced. I've even had them replaced in San Antonio, TX when we were visiting friends.

I got my Philip Stein on Grand Cayman at Island Companies, Ltd. It's on a side street off the "main drag". Enjoy your watch!

Bought a Philip Stein in Cozumel. Ran into issues with the watch. The watch was only two months olds. Several phone calls and the store would do nothing. A few months later we took another cruise and talked to the port shopping guide. He went to the store and they worked with him. It was a big mess until we got the shopping guy involved. Next time I'll buy in the states.

Ok yes or no, and if yes what are best ports for Watch will be on Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. New Years Cruise. Thanks:)

lance 32/aka Jon

I say Grand Cayman, somehow I would have a problem buying anything expensive in a Mexico tourist area.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We both have Philip Stein Watches and I recently purchased their sleep band (it works well by the way and worth the price). We bought ours at Diamonds International in Belize, they had a PS store in the DI store. I never used to like DI, but they have grown on me and we have received some decent discounts. The typical discount is 15%.

We have been fortunate and have not had any issues with our watches. We did start sleeping better the very first night and the best of all is the fact that DH used to have megga migraines and they have completely stopped! We still get the odd headache, but some ibuprofen solves the problem. We have a PS store 2 hours away, but have always gone to our local jeweller to replace batteries and haven't worried too much about the warranty. We bought them as an experiment after listening to the results that the shopping person had on one cruise. We love them. We will most likely buy new watches at some point on a future cruise.

I buy a lot of jewellery while cruising. Some deals are great, some deals are ok. I always look at it like this....what am I willing to risk? I set a dollar value that I will go to and look at it that how will I feel if this is not worth what I paid. So far so good. BUT I know a great deal about gems and jewellery. As an example, I found an incredible deal on a beautiful 7 carat spectacular tanzanite ring while we were shopping in Cozumel in March. It was a ship recommended store, but the truth is, the tanzanite stone could have easily been glass or crystal so I walked away. For $8,000 I wasn't willing to risk it. The PS watches were $600 (mine with 2 faces) and $500 (DH with 1 face) so we were willing to give them a shot. It was a good risk that paid off.

Hope this helps.

Dee

I bought my first one in St. Martin. Then upgraded to the diamond as my daughter-in-law works in retail and could get a nice discount. I've had no issues. I've had both crystal's replaced due to scratches and that does require shipment directly to Philip Stein. I can have batteries replaced locally. For bands, check out the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/clockworksynergy I've ordered from Jeff for years. The straps are identical to P. Stein at 90% off in some cases. Jeff's email is sales@clockworksynergy.com Phone: 410 720-2147 (And, no, we're not related and no, I do not get a commission :-) (Once I posted a picture of the towel w/the pillow insert that was given as the RCI amenity. Someone accused me of plugging it for a eBay. Good grief). I do love my watches and switching bands is fun! Oh, also, Philip Stein watches are sometimes available at Overstock.com. Same disclaimer :-)

We leave on our cruise this coming weekend and will be in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Where do you recommend buying a PS in either of those locations?

We have had good luck with DI lately. I would recommend that you speak with the shopping person while onboard before you hit the ports. If you don't find him/her right away, ask in the shops. The shopping person may even meet you at one of the stores to help you. The only negative thing I can say about PS is that the leather (snakeskin, silk and leather or leather) straps do not last long. I have numerous colours and switch them to match my outfits. DH has a gold bracelet on his that matches the watch and has had good luck with it. Hope this helps:)

Dee

I found the PS Official store in Cozumel had the best selection for your itinerary - Diamonds Intl is the easiest to deal with and sometimes better pricing

Most ships shopping guides have discount cards - go to their desk on the ship to inquire

I buy my extra bands on EBay

Browse the PS site and see the different styles and combinations available so you don't end up with something you are not happy with

Edited by SMerritt

I bet we buy from the same person on eBay ... Jeff with clockworksynergy.

He's a nice guy and I can't tell the different in Philip Stein $200 straps and his for $14.99. I paid almost $200 for my first white one and it turned yellow within a year. Actually the knock offs have lasted longer than those that are authentic PS.

Another vote for clockworksynergy.

Price your watches on the Phillip Stein website and in any stores you may have around that sell them. I bought my first one three and a half years ago in Ketchikan, at DI. Less than two years later, I had to have the batteries replaced in Falmouth, Jamaica. I believe I paid $30. On the same cruise, we stopped in Key West where there isa PS store. I asked what it would cost for batteries, and they quoted $20. My second watch is a larger one, but still titled small, and in less than two years, I again needed a battery change. No chance until I got home, as we were on the way to Eruope. I made a special detour on the way home to get the batteries changes, and the store charged $65!

I bought my sister one in Cabo, and saw a new style I really liked...the mini round. Well, we did an Alaska cruise on Coral Princess, and the first night on board, I bought that watch. I knew that online at the PS website, and in store it was a standard price, and the ship was $60 less.

Don't waste your money on the expensive bands. I like their silk bands, but they dont' wear well at all. The silk finish peels off. EM

The best "port" for good watches is the port on your home computer that lets the internet in to your home. The watch and jewelry stores in the Caribbean are terribly overrated (and under quality) and mainly prey on naïve cruise ship passengers. If you want to find out for yourself, price-out a few specific watch models online and then compare to the Caribbean stores. Also keep in mind that many name brand watches sold in the Caribbean are "grey market" merchandise which means they are not covered by the watch company's US Warranty.

Hank

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Has anyone had problems with Philip Stein's stainless steel watchbands? I bought my PS watch in Ketchican from Diamonds International, along with a silver gray-ish leather band which I really didn't like at all. But it was as close as I could get to a metal band, as they had none in stock. Recently at DI in St. Thomas I found the stainless steel band I had hoped for, and with a generous holiday discount, but still $220 tax free. I couldn't wear it until I got home and had the band attached to the watch and, to my utter dismay, I was unable to unfasten the band. It had come with no instructions and there was no sign of any way to get the thing off my wrist. I had to wrap a towel around it to take a shower and the next day asked several staff members in my condo building to help me get the thing off. Nobody could figure it out. Several broken fingernails later I finally called Philip Stein and asked them. What a stupid design! In order to release the clasp you need to go under the band to pull the clasp and in so doing I injured my wrist (and have a dark bruise mark to show for it). I'm afraid to wear it again, as I cannot battle the band and hurt my wrist just to remove it. Although I am able to fit one small finger under the band which fits perfectly, I will need to add links in order to ever release the clasp again. That will enable the watch to whirl around my wrist which is something I had avoided. I hate to return the band because I hate the watch without it, but I can't wear a watch I am unable to take off without injury. Anybody else have a stainless steel PS band?

• 1 year later...

Unless you need to have the watch waterproof with their seals, you can have the batteries replaced by any jeweler or kiosk that replaces batteries.  In fact, the major jeweler in Savannah could do the seal thing too, at a higher cost than just battery replacement, and you might have to leave it.  I find it rather ridiculous to have a waterproof if they recommend you don't get the band wet!  I own multiple PS watches and have done this many times.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

What is so special about Philip Stein watches anyway? Has anyone seriously benefitted from claims it helps one sleep better? Because the $200 stainless steel band is so very difficult to remove from my wrist, I don’t wear it and now the battery is dead. As for its design, I find it rather clunky. My Skagan with its mesh band is far more stylish. It was a dreary grey day in Kachikan when I bought it. Shoulda gone to the bar...