What part of summer for us?

Hibiscus118

I am yet again researching an Alaskan trip again. My husband and I were planning to go this summer but it didn't work out so we are trying again for next summer. Last year, we had planned to do a southbound with some time in the interior of Alaska but our priorities have changed this year and we really just want to be able to go to Alaska and see some highlights.

I've done a lot of research on RT out of Seattle versus Vancouver and I think we are set on Seattle. We love the city of Seattle and my husband would love to spend a few days there pre or post cruise. It would also cut down on wasting half days on the train to Vancouver, etc as he is limited with vacation time.

Looking at the HA Westerdam that skips Skagway and goes to Sitka. We love small towns and think this would be up our ally. I am also looking at the Pearl and Golden Princess that go to Skagway. They all go to Glacier Bay which is a MUST for me. Any advice on Sitka versus Skagway? I'm not so much worried about the ship.. we want to get the most out of AK doing a RT so cruise line/ship don't really matter.

My husband is a wildlife fanatic so we plan to take a tour to hopefully see some whales. Would live to see moose or bears as well. I also think we'd get a kick out of the salmon runs.

Anyone have any advice on time frames for seeing the most wildlife? I am a school teacher so I'm pretty limited to travelling between June 20th-August 18th.

We have been to both places twice, I would pick Sitka over Skagway everytime, I loved Sitka. It is a great little town, very walkable! We were tendered to below the O'Connell Bridge and one the first trip we had a private tour arranged with Davey (Esther G Sea Taxi) and it was excellent. We saw whales, lots of sea otters and tons of puffins!! I wanted to go out with him the second time we were in Sitka but he was already booked up, so book early if you like the sound of his tour. He also provided wonderful cookies and drinks. The next time we were in town (2012) we walked the forest trails, saw some beautiful totems and went up to the Raptor Center which was amazing. We explored the beach on the way back. Just the sail in/out of Sitka is beautiful, with Mt Edgecombe in the background!

Like trophy_23, we've been to both Sitka and Skagway several times, but we like Skagway best. Our next cruise, we're switching from HAL to Princess because we prefer sailing out of Seattle and HAL isn't doing Skagway from Seattle anymore.

That said, both ports are interesting and I think you'll find things you like about both of them, so whichever you choose, you'll enjoy it.

The middle of summer usually has the highest prices, and you have the longest stretches of daylight then.

In my opinion, an Alaskan cruise is awesome at any time during the season, and all of the ports have something interesting to offer. Don't fret too much over making the "best" decisions -- whatever itinerary you choose, you miss something so I'd focus on just enjoying the places that you do go. :) (Although I think Glacier Bay should be seen at least once, so if this is the one time you'll get to cruise Alaska, I would pick a cruise that goes there.)

Both Skagway and Sitka are excellent, neither "best", however. :) Which ever one you choose, you are missing the other, so make the plans on what activities you wish to do and where you want to be. You can't do it all even with 10 trips. :)

I suggest you figure out which area offers you the most touring of interest. If you want to see bears, then the most successful way to see them is via floatplane out of Juneau or Ketchikan. In 35+ trips to Alaska, I have only seen a moose- ONCE, on the inside passage. So don't make any touring plans for a moose. Salmon runs are better bets in August.

I've been to both Skagway and Sitka, and much prefer Sitka as it is much less touristy. But then again, I remember what Skagway was like in the early 1980s before it became so touristy.

Just a quick comment from someone who routinely has moose in our yard -- Southeast Alaska is not moose territory.

I've been to both Skagway and Sitka, and much prefer Sitka as it is much less touristy. But then again, I remember what Skagway was like in the early 1980s before it became so touristy.

Just a quick comment from someone who routinely has moose in our yard -- Southeast Alaska is not moose territory.

To the OP do not overlook the Railroad in Skagway...

To Northern Aurora .. I really like your thought process about SE AK. Kinda like BC is the Pacific South West for me

haha thanks! No worries from me, I've seen them before in Maine. I've read so much info in the last year and a half I guess it all blends together at some point.

Thanks everyone! I did some more research on all the cruise lines, options, etc today that I'm a bit overwhelmed. There are just to many options! Looking at the NCL Sun northbound now as well. It seems significantly cheaper than everything else, is there a reason?

haha thanks! No worries from me, I've seen them before in Maine. I've read so much info in the last year and a half I guess it all blends together at some point.

Thanks everyone! I did some more research on all the cruise lines, options, etc today that I'm a bit overwhelmed. There are just to many options! Looking at the NCL Sun northbound now as well. It seems significantly cheaper than everything else, is there a reason?

One ways are generally cheaper due to supply and demand, a lot of people don't want to fly multi city and many times these flights are more costly.

IF you now are considering a one way, I highly recommend you take advantage of being all the way there and add on all the time you can for mainland Alaska touring. Plenty to see and do, with many jackpot areas and activities.

IF you want to block out a couple weeks of time, get your flights lined up at your lower prices and wait out a cruise booking, it has been a given, over many years to have significant price dumps on the one way cruises, especially with Princess. You do have to be flexible.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the input. Just thought I'd come back and post what we decided. In the end, The Golden Princess won out due to the sale they are having and the cheaper price in general compared to HA.

We briefly thought about a one way but the costs from that end up being way more with the touring we'd want to do. For now, we'll get a sample of Alaska and splurge on a couple excursions and go back eventually and do it the way we originally wanted to do it last year. Darn saving for a new house ;).

Archived