Stay away from cabin 10006 on NCL Spirit!!

Cruising Canuck

Do yourself a favour and stay far, far away from cabins 10006 and 10605 on the NCL Spirit. They have a hideously small floor plan.

10006 is by far the WORST cabin I have ever had to endure on any cruise line or ship. Definitely not enough room for 3 people, barely enough for 2. There is no sofa, there is no desk. Only place to sit in the cabin is on your bed. And there's so little room between the bed and the wall only one person can walk through the tiny cabin at a time. There was no more than 6 inches between my bed and the balcony door. You have to warn the other person when you exit the bathroom because of lack of space. Getting ready for the day or dinner was a nightmare.

I believe NCL is engaging in deceptive, misleading and erroneous advertising in its own description of balcony cabins. This is how they describe the BC, BD and BX category cabins:

"With room for up to three guests, Norwegian Spirit staterooms have two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a pull out sofa to accommodate one more. Along with a sitting area, floor-to-ceiling glass doors and a private balcony with an amazing view."

Accommodates: 3Approx. Size: 171-201 sq. ft.

Deck(s) Location Comments Category

10 , 11 Forward, Aft

9 Forward, Aft

9 Aft

I took one look at our cabin and tried to get moved. Guest services acknowledged the obvious problem with the cabin and were sympathetic, but could not move us because the cruise was full.

I booked far enough in advance that if there had been truth in advertising about this cabin I never would have chosen it. If a cabin is sold as obstructed view, then that choice is made clear. Similarly Norwegian should make it very clear that 10006 is not like the rest of the BC balcony cabins. They tell me 10506 has the same layout.

Buyer Beware!

Do yourself a favour and stay far, far away from cabins 10006 and 10605 on the NCL Spirit. They have a hideously small floor plan.

10006 is by far the WORST cabin I have ever had to endure on any cruise line or ship. Definitely not enough room for 3 people, barely enough for 2. There is no sofa, there is no desk. Only place to sit in the cabin is on your bed. And there's so little room between the bed and the wall only one person can walk through the tiny cabin at a time. There was no more than 6 inches between my bed and the balcony door. You have to warn the other person when you exit the bathroom because of lack of space. Getting ready for the day or dinner was a nightmare.

I believe NCL is engaging in deceptive, misleading and erroneous advertising in its own description of balcony cabins. This is how they describe the BC, BD and BX category cabins:

"With room for up to three guests, Norwegian Spirit staterooms have two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a pull out sofa to accommodate one more. Along with a sitting area, floor-to-ceiling glass doors and a private balcony with an amazing view."

Accommodates: 3Approx. Size: 171-201 sq. ft.

Deck(s) Location Comments Category

10 , 11 Forward, Aft

9 Forward, Aft

9 Aft

I took one look at our cabin and tried to get moved. Guest services acknowledged the obvious problem with the cabin and were sympathetic, but could not move us because the cruise was full.

I booked far enough in advance that if there had been truth in advertising about this cabin I never would have chosen it. If a cabin is sold as obstructed view, then that choice is made clear. Similarly Norwegian should make it very clear that 10006 is not like the rest of the BC balcony cabins. They tell me 10506 has the same layout.

Buyer Beware!

When you booked your cabin, was the price lower than other balconies in nearby areas?

Have never heard of complaints about balcony cabins on the Spirit. We have sailed on the Spirit and had 4 different cabins and all were very satisfactory and we had plenty of room.

If you have more info about the problem, it would be interesting to hear about it. Did NCL do anything to help you or offer some complimentary services?

Edited by kcwingwalker

When I booked this cabin there were many others available at nearly the same price. Higher categories were virtually the same price, but I chose this one because of its location forward. Guest Services told me that the two cabins I mentioned are unique on the Spirit in terms of their small size. They clearly acknowledged the difference.

When I found out I couldn't get moved, I asked for a credit. That request was turned down. The Guest Services Assistant Manager did try to extend some perks: strawberries, cheese tray, bottle of wine and priority disembarkation. They did their best, but I firmly believe I was misled from the start by NCL and they should change the advertising or category on those 2 cabins.

Are you saying that there was NO sofa....because the floor plan clearly shows a sofa.

Although I generally think "people complain about nonsense"....I do feel you have a valid complaint....and are due some compensation by NCL.

I can understand why they didn't move you....because they didn't have space. But, you were definitely misled. The description says sofa.

Are you saying that there was NO sofa....because the floor plan clearly shows a sofa.

Although I generally think "people complain about nonsense"....I do feel you have a valid complaint....and are due some compensation by NCL.

I can understand why they didn't move you....because they didn't have space. But, you were definitely misled. The description says sofa.

There was definitely no sofa and they also promise a sitting area...again nada. The only place to put on makeup was in the bathroom or sitting on the floor just outside the bathroom in front of a full length wall mirror. My adult daughter and I had some real challenges getting ready!

There was definitely no sofa and they also promise a sitting area...again nada. The only place to put on makeup was in the bathroom or sitting on the floor just outside the bathroom in front of a full length wall mirror. My adult daughter and I had some real challenges getting ready!

About a year or so, I think on Carnival...someone had a similar situation. If I remember correctly, he reserved "a suite" as a surprise for his wife. But it was a handicapped suite with a pole in the middle. Also...no furniture....had to eat while sitting on the bed. I don't remember the outcome, but he brought this to Carnival's attention and he was compensated. I think they gave him credit for a future cruse. I could be wrong, but I remember that he was happy with whatever it was.

I'd bring it to NCL's attention, in a nice way....reinforce the "lack of sofa" or other sitting area as indicated on the website and see what happens.

Apparently, 10006 and 10506 were designed as 2nd bedrooms for the Forward corner suites on Deck 10

NCLSpirit10006.jpg

(...not my picture).

The photo is accurate, although we had 2 singles instead of the queen bed. But you can see there's no space for a couch or "sitting area" once the bed fills the tiny room. If it's meant to be an add on to the suite, it should be sold and advertised as such...NOT as a standalone! Wish I'd spotted that photo before!

When I go to the site that allows you to overlay the different decks, that room measures the same as most of the others. All of the BC's on that section of the deck are the same size. They are priced lower and that should be to offset the smaller size. They are only 10 sq ft smaller than the other balconies in mid ship. The class of balcony is priced by size and location. If the BC was cheaper than BB and BA then that would account for a smaller size.

When I go to the site that allows you to overlay the different decks, that room measures the same as most of the others. All of the BC's on that section of the deck are the same size. They are priced lower and that should be to offset the smaller size. They are only 10 sq ft smaller than the other balconies in mid ship. The class of balcony is priced by size and location. If the BC was cheaper than BB and BA then that would account for a smaller size.

Further evidence of being misled I would say. Guest Services clearly acknowledged to me that 10006 and 10506 are 2 cabins unlike any other on the ship. Unlike any other BC category cabin. If I had known, I would have chosen another BC cabin or spent another measly $20 and gotten a higher balcony category.

I would NEVER book any cabin without seeing puctures of it. There is a great site you can find it easily by searching where people post photos. It is great for peace of mind.

And NCL could compensate you for deceptive advertising. Only about 5% of cruisers are Cruise Critic readers. How would the other 95% know of your "precedent"????

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I would NEVER book any cabin without seeing puctures of it. There is a great site you can find it easily by searching where people post photos. It is great for peace of mind.

And NCL could compensate you for deceptive advertising. Only about 5% of cruisers are Cruise Critic readers. How would the other 95% know of your "precedent"????

Good luck.

Cruising Canuck I've attached 2 pics that I found maybe you can verify yes or no if they are correct for folks. If they are correct they definity look small.

Sorry I just saw your pics, somehow I missed them.

r_stateroom10006_500.jpg.14e5c882ec4f414d42f6a700c75aaafd.jpg

r_stateroom10006b_500.jpg.825f582bc7437e9ea00077890eb0206c.jpg

Edited by Ilovesailing

Cruising Canuck I've attached 2 pics that I found maybe you can verify yes or no if they are correct for folks. If they are correct they definity look small.

The photos are definitely accurate and yes the cabin is definitely small. Our wonderful cabin steward Randolph (and he was great!) kindly brought us in another little mini table like you see in the first shot. We put the 2 tables together so we at least had somewhere to put down a room service tray other than on the bed!

Good luck.

If your talking CDP.com I agree it's the best 8/9 bucks spent.

Took me awhile to figure out which website you were talking about but got it! Thanks for the info...I'm signing up and that way hopefully will never have something like this happen to me again. I thought I was an experienced, fairly savvy cruiser. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Now I will have more info than ever before. Appreciate it!

Egad NCL sure knows how to MISLABLE their cabins/staterooms.

Recently on the NCL Sun in a MiniSuite which is not a suite at all.

Just a glorified Balcony cabin with separate closet and rest/bathroom

facilities. None of the benefits of a true suite; i.e. concierge; butler

and other amenities and nowhere the square footage of a suite; but

granted a few more than a balcony.

"Why the hell don't they just call it a "DELUXE BALCONY" which it is !"

Calling it a suite conjures up a better level of service which is not

forthcoming.

Now as for these NCL Spirit examples - "WOW" Superman has more

room in his telephone booth to change !

The only consolation I can see is the balcony with two chairs and

perhaps a mini table for beverage service but that is not even in the

cabin.

No reading/writing service desk for a laptop or other electronic device.

Separating the beds from a Queen to Twins is a definite drawback.

Somewhere it was noted about 6 inch spacing I didn't get that clear -

between the wall (passage) from inside the cabin to the balcony it

does not appear as a conflict but between the beds (plural twins) it

would be.

All in all these cabins would be best sold as SINGLES with one twin

bed and adding a service desk with chair and another chair or couch

for single visitor.

My first cruise in 2006 on the Princess - Golden Princess.

The cabin I had was perhaps 15 square feet bigger than these on the

NCL Spirit but at least had the basic cabin amenities of a place to

have (inside) the cabin meal service on a suitable table and enough

room to stand-up turn around and come and go without interference

to a cabin mate.

In further review of these cabins NCL might as well consider having a

MURPHY bed installed !

NCL anyone reading - listening - taking notes ???

Since there was no sofa in the room, where did the 3rd berth come from? Wall mounted?

I would be upset. If I pay for a sofa, I expect a sofa and a reasonable square footage of what is advertised. If these cabins are that much smaller NCL needs to have another catagory.... BZ......:eek:

jingle5616 - - -

Perhaps you did not notice the hammock hanging outside the balcony !

The latest in NCL cabin/stateroom improvements !

Shirley you think I am jesting - NO don't call me Shirley !

LOL !!!

And then there is the berth for the 4th cabin mate in the vertical mode

inside the shower.

If this were the Carnival Triumph I am sure that other sleeping

accommodations could be conjured up !

Egad NCL sure knows how to MISLABLE their cabins/staterooms.

Recently on the NCL Sun in a MiniSuite which is not a suite at all.

Just a glorified Balcony cabin with separate closet and rest/bathroom

facilities. None of the benefits of a true suite; i.e. concierge; butler

and other amenities and nowhere the square footage of a suite; but

granted a few more than a balcony.

"Why the hell don't they just call it a "DELUXE BALCONY" which it is !"

Calling it a suite conjures up a better level of service which is not

forthcoming.

Now as for these NCL Spirit examples - "WOW" Superman has more

room in his telephone booth to change !

The only consolation I can see is the balcony with two chairs and

perhaps a mini table for beverage service but that is not even in the

cabin.

No reading/writing service desk for a laptop or other electronic device.

Separating the beds from a Queen to Twins is a definite drawback.

Somewhere it was noted about 6 inch spacing I didn't get that clear -

between the wall (passage) from inside the cabin to the balcony it

does not appear as a conflict but between the beds (plural twins) it

would be.

All in all these cabins would be best sold as SINGLES with one twin

bed and adding a service desk with chair and another chair or couch

for single visitor.

My first cruise in 2006 on the Princess - Golden Princess.

The cabin I had was perhaps 15 square feet bigger than these on the

NCL Spirit but at least had the basic cabin amenities of a place to

have (inside) the cabin meal service on a suitable table and enough

room to stand-up turn around and come and go without interference

to a cabin mate.

In further review of these cabins NCL might as well consider having a

MURPHY bed installed !

NCL anyone reading - listening - taking notes ???

Any mini-suite on any NCL ship never includes butler service. That is only for suites.