When Will Excursions Become Available?

sjmbruce

The excursions for my cruise aren't available yet. I know my cruise is something like 240 days away, maybe I'm being too impatient. For some reason, I thought that the excursions for my last cruise were available a year or so before embarkation. Maybe Alaska is different? Or maybe I'm just wrong and impatient :) I'd just like to see what's available so I can budget now and decide between Princess tours & independent ones.

The excursions for my cruise aren't available yet. I know my cruise is something like 240 days away, maybe I'm being too impatient. For some reason, I thought that the excursions for my last cruise were available a year or so before embarkation. Maybe Alaska is different? Or maybe I'm just wrong and impatient :) I'd just like to see what's available so I can budget now and decide between Princess tours & independent ones.
It all depends. Chances are that the tour contracts for next year haven't been signed yet since the tour operators are still offering tours on Alaskan cruises. Contract renewals are based on customer satisfaction and if the season hasn't ended, the stats haven't been tabulated yet. I believe excursions are generally available 90 days before sailing but can be available before then. I wouldn't start checking until the last Princess Alaskan cruise has been completed.

Princess usually puts their excursions about 180 days before the season starts.

Thanks! I think I will reserve a private tour for the couple of things I really want to do that I suspect will be booked rather quickly. Then I'll check back in November when at least this year's Alaska cruises will be over. If the excursions aren't available then, I'll have to be more patient and just wait until next year :)

Once the shore excursions have been published for a Princess cruise, are any additional choices ever offered closer to the sailing date?
It all depends on the itinerary and port. Sometimes, a port's excursions are not made available until after the other ports on the itinerary. I've never seen new/additional excursions added to a port after that port's excursions have been made available for booking. Sometimes, they'll add a segment or another time for an excursion already listed but not an entirely new tour.

Once the shore excursions have been published for a Princess cruise, are any additional choices ever offered closer to the sailing date?

Once on a Wine Country Coastal cruise they didn't offer any wine tours to Sonoma from SF. Many of us expressed our desire to have such a tour which was added after other tours were available. Sometimes there may be delays in finalizing contracts but in this situation they were not offering a tour due to previous lack of participation. With several buses full for winery tours that wasn't an issue on a Wine Country Coastal cruise.

My experience has been that tours are generally available 90-120 days prior to sailing. For a Med/TA last year the tours were available nearly 11 months in advance however that was my only time that early.

The only totally new excursions I have seen offered only after being on board are those for b2b passengers when there has been a significant number of us. I think it helped that we asked because none were available when we boarded.

George

Archived