Safety Drill... Balmoral

Just seen that they are trying to right the Concordia.

I recall they did not have a Safety Drill on the day they left and wondered how many lives could have been saved if they had.

We have just cruised on the Balmoral and the Safety Drill was the one of best and strict that I have ever been to.

I really liked how they simulated how they would get us from the muster points to the lifeboats. They actually had us all in a line with a hand on the shoulder of the person in front and we made our way to the lifeboats that way, almost like a Conga line. First time I have ever seen that.

There was no wise cracking and they really made you focus.

Well done Fred Olsen ............

Certain ports, the ship does not leave until around 10pm. They are granted an extension to have there muster drill the following morning. These are all modeled after the U.S Coast Guard regulations. So, it could have happened here as well, however, I don't know how many I will offend with this. For the last 20 years or so, I have never set foot on an Italian or Greek officered ship, and I have my own reasons. But I will tell ya, they will most likely be in the first lifeboat to leave the ship. But that is why they had not had there muster drill as of the ship running aground.

I have always had severe reservations over muster drills. Whilst I understand their reasons for holding them, we all know when the drill takes place and are ready when the seven short and one long goes off :D and wonder what would happen if there really was an emergency.

If the ship was on a sea day, plenty of people out on deck and the sirens went off, what would we do? If there was a fire on board, would you return to your cabin to collect your life vest, I wouldn't, it would be like entering a burning building, and as a retired fire prevention officer, goes against all my principals. IMO life vests should be kept either on or near the life boat or muster station, indeed I would prefer the muster stations to be outside at the lifeboats. If the sirens go off and people are all over the ship, imagine the congestion on the stairs with people going up and down to their cabins, if, as I suggest the life jackets are at or near the lifeboats, everyone would be going in the same direction to their muster station. Why get warm clothing, you will be so close together on a life boat, you couldn't get cold, and the lack of clothing will provide a little more space on the lifeboat. We have all been on tenders when they are full, when used as a life boat, have a look at how many more will be on, usually at least another 30 or so. The only problem I can see, is our prescribed medications. If it is only a few tablets, maybe it is better for us to carry a couple of days supply just in case, if we had to abandon ship, with the number of cruise ships on the same or similar routes, I don't think we would be in life boats for very long.

Just my take on muster drills.

If there was a fire on board, would you return to your cabin to collect your life vest, I wouldn't, it would be like entering a burning building.

On nearly every muster drill I've attended, we've been told that there are duplicate life jackets stored at the lifeboat stations in case it is not possible to return to the cabin. I agree with you entirely, and would assess the situation if it occurred.

Why get warm clothing, you will be so close together on a life boat, you couldn't get cold, and the lack of clothing will provide a little more space on the lifeboat. We have all been on tenders when they are full, when used as a life boat, have a look at how many more will be on, usually at least another 30 or so.

You may be sitting for several hours in clothes soaked in freezing water - my guess would be that a woolly jumper and thick coat would be warmer than shirtsleeves.

As to the OP, I doubt that any lives would have been saved by a lifeboat drill, because a lifeboat drill wouldn't be based on the idea that half the crew would run around like headless chickens and the captain would abandon ship as soon as possible. Maybe if the passengers were asked to organise their own lifeboat drill, it might be more realistic?

The drill wasn't anything like a drill when we were on the Celebrity Solstice this June. We gathered and then tried to find out, unsuccessfully, what was going on, couldn't hear or see and passengers were just milling around wondering when things were going to start. We were surprised it was so poor. It was easily the worst we have experienced of the six lines we have sailed on in the past.

Archived