Hotel near New Orleans port

Cruisedreamer1

We are looking into cruising out of New Orleans and are looking for a hotel near the port or with shuttle to the port. Can anyone guide us to a hotel in the 100 to 200 dollar a night range? Thanks.

Drury Inn....great hotel with free breakfast and within walking distance of port and Bourbon St. I just reserved a room for under 150.00 a 2 room suite with a jaccuzi tub. Stayed here my last cruise....nice rooftop pool too.

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Drury Inn and loved it (especially with all of the "extras" that you get by staying there). However, I have looked at pricing there several times (for 2 cruises in December, this year and last) and the prices have went up a lot. It could be due to the time of year we are crusing now (instead of September) and also they have a big event the week we are there (Running with the Santas), so that might have drove up the prices.

Drury is close to everything along the Riverwalk and you can walk just about anywhere there.

Last time we stayed in the Warehouse district at Springhill Suites and got an awesome deal. It was directly down the street from the port and the hotel was beautiful inside.

I just booked the Staybridge, about .75 mile from the port. We are cruising the end of January, and no where could I find a room for less than 140.00 a night. The Staybridge has a hot breakfast, is part of the Holiday Inn family, and not in the French Quarter. I have been reading that all the restaurants at River walk are under going revamping, and none will be open when we are there in January. So being close to that would not have been a benefit. Of course I could have read that wrong. But there is nothing worse than booking a hotel because of what it's near and then getting there and finding out that what ever it was , is closed.:eek:

I wouldn't worry too much about the Riverwalk not being open. They didn't have restaurants but had a food court. It wasn't the best place to eat. Trying some of the local restaurants (avoid national chains!) is your best bet. You are not too far and will probably be sightseeing in areas with restaurants. As for shopping, Royal street has unique and interesting options. If you have a car or want to take the streetcar to the Uptown area, Magazine Street is great for unique and local options in both restaurants and shops. Also a great atmosphere with historic shotgun homes.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Riverwalk not being open. They didn't have restaurants but had a food court. It wasn't the best place to eat. Trying some of the local restaurants (avoid national chains!) is your best bet. You are not too far and will probably be sightseeing in areas with restaurants. As for shopping, Royal street has unique and interesting options. If you have a car or want to take the streetcar to the Uptown area, Magazine Street is great for unique and local options in both restaurants and shops. Also a great atmosphere with historic shotgun homes.

We wanted to be closer to the WWII Museum, and the bunch traveling with us wanted to be closer to Bourbon st. I figure we got the best match for us. River walk I have been told by someone who lived there was a great sampling from restaruants through out the city, he didn't feel at least when he lived there that they were chainy. I did want to try one where the real restaurant was in Metairie. We wont have a car, so proximity is important.

Archived