College Bowl Games on Riviera

koko's_mom

We are thinking about sending my parents on a Riviera caribbean voyage in January for their anniversary. Does anyone know if the college bowl games are broadcast on the ship? My father is an Alabama fan, and I don't want him to feel disappointed in missing out if they are in the championship game!

We are thinking about sending my parents on a Riviera caribbean voyage in January for their anniversary. Does anyone know if the college bowl games are broadcast on the ship? My father is an Alabama fan' date=' and I don't want him to feel disappointed in missing out if they are in the championship game![/quote']

I don't think they will be, at least from the stateroom perspective. This is one of our concerns as well as we are die hard FSU fans and we are certainly on the path to National Champs (so far). We didn't see any mention of US "Gridiron" football what-so-ever on our last cruise, even on ESPN. I hope I'm wrong, as this was late Aug / First week of Sept, but we were on the Marina and didn't see any at all. We were cruising the Baltic area. You could ask the Cruise Director, perhaps? We did catch up in port via wi-fi but it was just highlights et. al. Perhaps a Caribbean cruise would be different? All we saw was "soccer" (aka Football)

We are thinking about sending my parents on a Riviera caribbean voyage in January for their anniversary. Does anyone know if the college bowl games are broadcast on the ship? My father is an Alabama fan' date=' and I don't want him to feel disappointed in missing out if they are in the championship game![/quote']

Good luck with trying to get an answer to this question. Last month I started a thread on getting the Olympics on TV on the Marina and the other ships in Feb. and still have not gotten any good feedback. It seemed to me that a major event of this kind that comes only every 4 years should be carried on the ships, but everyone did not agree with me. Some people do not care, but I think most of us would like to see at lest some of the events. Hope that O can work out both broadcasts. :):)

... but I think most of us would like to see at lest some of the events. Hope that O can work out both broadcasts. :):)

Serious answer, from what I know.

The cruise lines get satellite channels, just like we get cable channels at home.

But since they are for "patron entertainment" (like a bar) and not for personal use, the cost is a whole other schedule.

Each cruise line usually has a small selection chosen for the broadest appeal.

There is no "remote" up on the bridge to allow the ship to channel surf, or pick a new channel; it is all contractual and the satellite feed is established by corporate.

w/r/t sports, if the ship has ESPN or Sky ( or a variant, based on where in the world you are sailing)...and ESPN or Sky carries the games you desire...you win!

Most cruise lines do pony up to the additional costs (which can be amazingly high) for events like the Super Bowl or the World Cup, that have the broadest appeal or significance.

But I have never seen college games or Olympics fall into that category.

Nor, have I seen 'network' channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) as part on the onboard package.

Secondary network channels, like MSNBC or Fox News/Sports, do sometimes appear on the channel roster.

There WAS a time when O had reruns of CSI and the like available on the stateroom TV but it's been some time since that has been the case -- at least on the cruises we've taken.

We did get the Superbowl when we were on the Auckland-Sydney cruise in 2008. Somehow the ship taped the show and broadcast it the next day.

I don't recall other US sports "hits" being broadcast, however.

Mura

The cruise lines get satellite channels, just like we get cable channels at home.

But since they are for "patron entertainment" (like a bar) and not for personal use, the cost is a whole other schedule.

There is no "remote" up on the bridge to allow the ship to channel surf, or pick a new channel; it is all contractual and the satellite feed is established by corporate.

w/r/t sports, if the ship has ESPN or Sky ( or a variant, based on where in the world you are sailing)...and ESPN or Sky carries the games you desire...you win!

Most cruise lines do pony up to the additional costs (which can be amazingly high) for events like the Super Bowl or the World Cup, that have the broadest appeal or significance.

Nor, have I seen 'network' channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) as part on the onboard package.

Secondary network channels, like MSNBC or Fox News/Sports, do sometimes appear on the channel roster.

Very well put sir. Our Cruise Director told us NFL would be on, as he's a huge sports fan... However we did not see one second of Gridiron football. But we are completely up to speed on the world cup. :) Orlando (my fair town) is about to get a MLS team so maybe (just maybe) I will start following this sport like the rest of the world. ;)

Also - MSNBC was live streaming as was FOX news for us in the Baltic area. We tended to watch them while spending time in our stateroom.

corpkid--thank you for your post. I am hoping the Caribbean itinerary may better the odds of having the college bowl game(s) broadcast somewhere on the ship. Regardless' date=' a nice anniversary present don't you think?![/quote']

He will only miss it a little given the posh surroundings and multitude of things to do.

:) O is fantastic and he will love it enough to overlook the lack of live college games. Just have him ask a staff member where there is good wifi and he will catch the highlights on his tablet/laptop/phone. GO NOLES!

Seems to me that the Olympics are the number one worldwide sports show every four years. Just about every country in the world is involved and I think the most money is paid to carry them. Lets see what happens when the time comes. Not the end of the world if

not but would be nice to see some of the events.

Archived