Toddler on a Balcony

Thad409

We will be cruising with our DS who is 6 and he has cruised before at age 4 and we had a OV , this time on the Dream I was thinking of upgrading to a Cove are a Deluxe balcony because the price for the 7days is only about 100-175 difference, should I be concerned having a 6 year old with a balcony, He is well behaved and listens well for the most part.

Thanks in advance

6 year olds are toddlers now? Isn't that a 1st grader?

Regardless, does he normally go falling over balconies, decks and railings? If no, then he's just fine. Also the balcony doors are quite heavy and have a lock up very high.

Someone posted on one of the boards a while back that out of all the people falling over cruise ship balconies the vast majority were drunk and doing something stupid. The rest were either fighting or committing suicide. There are no documented cases of children accidently falling overboard.

He stopped being a toddler a few years ago. As long as he is never permitted on the balcony without an adult, you will have no problem as he would have to drag furniture over to the railing and climb up on it in order to get over the rail. The balconies are small, so he would never be out of reach of said adult before that could possibly happen. Never heard of a child ever going overboard.

I would not worry about a balcony with a six-year old--or even a real toddler (which to me is only up to age 3--for some kids, age 2); as long as an adult is out there with him, no chance of him 'falling' off. It would take concentrated effort to fall off a balcony.

I have a 6 year old and wouldn't hesitate to allow him on the balcony while I was present. Unless he went rabid or something, I don't see him climbing furniture and hurling himself over the rail. He is a typical kid and has a natural fear of danger so I tell him the rules, supervise him and don't worry. In my opinion it isn't much different than an opened window on an upper level of a building.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a majorly safety conscious mom, but I seriously don't fret about the balcony. He is a first grader by the way, and would probably be seriously wounded if I called him a toddler :p

He'll be fine on the balcony as long as an adult is ALWAYS out there with him.

While he can't just fall off being out there, he could if he took a chair and climbed on it to look over. He can see out through the plexi-glass so he doesn't need to do this to see ... but children will be children. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

If your kid is a bit more adventurous than you might like him to be and does not always practice the best judgement, at 6YO you can be a bit concerned, but there are thinkgs that you can do to minimize the risks. You can purchase and bring a fairly simple alarm to hang from the door - if it senses any motion of the door it would sound. You could also request that the furniture be removed from the balconey (but unfortunately that makes it much less useable to you :)). without furniture, the railings are really too high for early any child to climb up (and over :eek:)

We have a six year old and when the price is right we cruise with a balcony. He has been on 2 cruises in an oceanview and 2 with a balcony.

He is not allowed out there without an adult and has been instructed on the dangers of playing anywhere on the ship near the rails.

As long as you're always out there with him he will be fine. I had the same worry with my 2 toddlers last fall. They were 1 & 2. I kept envisioning them going out there at night and going overboard. But, turns out that the door is super heavy and no way could they open it. And there is a lock too. Have a great time!

Since your child will NEVER be on the balcony alone, I don't see a problem! The doors are pretty heavy....I have trouble opening them....and since you say your child minds you, lay down the law!

Most kids won't even care about the balcony!

And, think about it....has your child ever fallen off a deck or porch at home? Kids are smarter than you think, regarding injuring themselves!

6 year olds are toddlers now? Isn't that a 1st grader?

Regardless, does he normally go falling over balconies, decks and railings? If no, then he's just fine. Also the balcony doors are quite heavy and have a lock up very high.

Someone posted on one of the boards a while back that out of all the people falling over cruise ship balconies the vast majority were drunk and doing something stupid. The rest were either fighting or committing suicide. There are no documented cases of children accidently falling overboard.

Okay Okay, Im sorry I know he's not a toddler any longer. But besides that I do really value all the great comments and help that has been given, again thanks to all.

Okay Okay, Im sorry I know he's not a toddler any longer. But besides that I do really value all the great comments and help that has been given, again thanks to all.

Miscommunication? I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be rude, just an observation. I recently posted about my own toddler(age 3) and was given responses in regards to 1-2 year olds. That's why I was confused by the age 6.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a balcony with our 4yo this year in April.

We weren't much concerned about it, but my mother was when she heared we booked a balcony. About 7 months of trying to convience us to take a OV, and if something did happen she would kill me:eek:

Knowing our son, a real daredevil, we took some precaution:

First day on board we showed him the rescue-boats.

Explained that they were very firmly attached and it would take a long time to lower them in case someone went overboard.

Had no problem at all on the balcony and when he wanted to get closer to the railing he asked to hold his hand:)

He wasn't scared to fall over, but scared to be left behind;) (whatever works)

Balconies should be fine for a 6 year old... most kids have a healthy instinct for self-preservation... Once you look down from the balcony and see the churning water, a few stories below... it kicks in.

Most of the people who've gone over balconies have been adults. I guess we lose that instinct for self-preservation as we get older and start drinking alcohol heavily. So I guess your child shouldn't be going over the balcony unless you give him one too many shots of Jaegermeister.

Archived