Problems with the POA Deck Plans and NCL Representatives

Midnight Blue

So Guest Services (had to be transferred to two different people before someone could "help" me) says they have no idea why the Owner's Suite description and photo is what now shows up on my reservation. They *promise* that I do have 12006, and that is the Deluxe Owner's Suite that is 1,382 square feet. I told them that surely they could understand why I don't have a great deal of faith in NCL right now given that I now have TWO issues with my suite. I also noted that they are getting some bad publicity on Cruise Critic, that at least some of their customers feel they've been deceived (not a good thing) and that they really need to do something sooner rather than later to fix this.

They promise a supervisor will call me.

We are in the process of drafting up a letter to send to the Florida State Attorney General over this.. likely will be a couple of weeks before it's sent though... mom & dad need through their 50th Anniversary trip (no, not a cruise) and my mom is helping me draft it.

This should give a little bit of time for NCL to figure out how they can rectify this. We did the screen prints (from our Cruise Summary) of the suite and noticed there is an * (asterisk) that says something about not being available on Deck 13. So while they have made that notation now, it was NOT there a year ago when we booked. Not sure if we will get anywhere with the letter to the AG, but at least they need to know about the false advertising.

Edited by CactusFlower527

So here's where I am in all of this.

NCL called me yesterday and offered two options: (1) an upgrade at no additional charge to one of the two 2 bedroom deluxe family suites on Deck 9 -- these suites on Deck 9 have suddenly, magically gone from being category SC or SD (can't remember which) to category SA and are the only category SA suites I can find on the deck plans or; (2) stay in my current suite and receive $300 OBC.

The good news is, NCL seems to finally realize there's a real problem here. The bad news is, neither of these options is really fully satisfactory, at least to me.

I looked long and hard at that suite on Deck 9. It's about half the size of the suite I'm currently in. According to the NCL rep, one of the "bedrooms" (the one with the king bed) is really a part of the main living area of the suite and is created by drawing a curtain across the room. The balcony is 1/4 the size of the balcony on my current suite. The NCL rep also told me nothing had been done to the Deck 9 suite she was offering -- not even the carpet had been replaced. (Carpet has been replaced in the suite I'm currently in.) On the plus side, there are two real beds in the Deck 9 suite (three, actually -- two twins can be put together into one bed). There are two full bathrooms. And at the end of the day, NCL doesn't have a better suite to offer me on the ship, on any sailing, even if I could change dates.

After a lot of discussion and pouring over cabin plans and comparing pros and cons, my family decided we'll make 12006 work and take the $300 OBC. Is that really enough to compensate us for not getting what NCL represented we would get? Probably not -- but it is something more than a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries, and my family is ready to move on with enjoying the preparations for vacation.

I'm putting this here so that if others are trying to get compensation from NCL, they at least know what's possible. But hey -- if anyone wants to pick up the battle and fight for more OBC for all of us, go for it!

Probably not -- but it is something more than a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries, and my family is ready to move on with enjoying the preparations for vacation.

I'm putting this here so that if others are trying to get compensation from NCL, they at least know what's possible. But hey -- if anyone wants to pick up the battle and fight for more OBC for all of us, go for it!

Wow, what a great attitude. I don't know if I could be as gracious had I been in your situation. Thanks for the updates here and enjoy your cruise!

Wow, what a great attitude. I don't know if I could be as gracious had I been in your situation. Thanks for the updates here and enjoy your cruise!

Agree.

For Midnight Blue:

I'm glad you finally got "closure" (not that I think "closure" offers the satisfaction/resolution often implied by that word), and at least now can plan for your trip knowing where you'll be.

And the general appointments in the DOS are no doubt going to be far nicer. (Especially if any of you play the piano - what fun ;-)

Would 2 connecting PH suites work for you?

That would still be LESS space, but it would be better than the 2-bedroom family suite (if I've got that right).

And the general level of the cabins would be more similar.

And you'd have the "two separate bedrooms" promised to you when you made the reservation, and continually promised you by their advertising all this time...

NCL's offer of $300??

That's a pittance for the [purposeful?/negligent?] misleading information you - and others - were repeatedly given over a long period of time (while the correct information was fully available to NCL - it was their OWN information, after all!), and the way you were treated.

But worst: You wanted/expected/paid for TWO separate bedrooms. Having only one bedroom (and not really "separate" as best as can be seen from the floor plan), this is NOT the type of accommodation you wanted.

$300 is a "normal" OBC, not for what is a pretty major and outrageous failure on NCL's part. This WAS avoidable - that is what is so unfortunate.

You and the others similarly situated should receive far more compensation, something more commensurate with the serious loss of privacy for a week (and that's not even mentioning the way you and the others have been treated).

This is totally within NCL's powers. (Sometimes there just isn't any good "fix" - in which case the $$ amount should be far higher.)

We hope you HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE and ENJOY HAWAII!

GeezerCouple

Would 2 connecting PH suites work for you?

That would still be LESS space, but it would be better than the 2-bedroom family suite (if I've got that right).

And the general level of the cabins would be more similar.

And you'd have the "two separate bedrooms" promised to you when you made the reservation, and continually promised you by their advertising all this time...

I'm told -- who knows if it's correct -- that two connecting PH suites aren't available for that cruise.

I so agree with you that $300 really isn't enough. The lawyer in me wanted to continue the fight. My family asked me to let it go.

I know it will never happen, but NCL... you could really turn this mess around by proactively offering more. I should never have had to call your corporate office and fight for compensation -- and no one else should have to do it, either.

I received an email from NCL this morning asking me to contact them about my reservation.

Well I contacted my agent that I booked with and she had no idea what the issue was so she put me through to the dept. that had contacted me.

Not only was my cabin no longer a 2 bedroom cabin . The 1 bedroom that they stated it now has is not what I would consider a bedroom at all. The king size bed is seperated from the rest of the cabin by a curtain! In my opinion a curtain divider does not a bedroom make.

I was very upset! after much discussion we were moved to Suite 13000 SC class. This suite I was assured does actually have walls and a door.

How can NCL call something a "bedroom" without a door?

I am sorry for anyone with a sailing soon because I have no idea how they will fix these issues with people on sold out ships.

Cindy

I'm told -- who knows if it's correct -- that two connecting PH suites aren't available for that cruise.

I so agree with you that $300 really isn't enough. The lawyer in me wanted to continue the fight. My family asked me to let it go.

I know it will never happen, but NCL... you could really turn this mess around by proactively offering more. I should never have had to call your corporate office and fight for compensation -- and no one else should have to do it, either.

How soon is your cruise?

You can probably check online with some degree of accuracy (??) by starting a place-holder reservation (perhaps on behalf of some new imaginary friends :) ) to see what PH suites show as available.

And if you aren't in the cancellation period, it could well be that some reservations will be cancelled, or cabin changes made, etc.

If you can make do with the lesser privacy, that DOS suite really does look very nice indeed.

And NOTE TO NCL: DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THESE FOLKS (everyone affected by what is now obviously false advertising): The $$ cost to you (NCL) of fixing this for everyone affected is a pittance of your operating budget. And compare this to what could become a social media disaster (and wait 'til a "real" travel journalist picks this up!), not to mention the Florida AG...

It is just a very few cabins (but especially that top drawer DOS!) that are affected. Fix it "right".

GeezerCouple

So here's where I am in all of this.

NCL called me yesterday and offered two options: (1) an upgrade at no additional charge to one of the two 2 bedroom deluxe family suites on Deck 9 -- these suites on Deck 9 have suddenly, magically gone from being category SC or SD (can't remember which) to category SA and are the only category SA suites I can find on the deck plans or; (2) stay in my current suite and receive $300 OBC.

The good news is, NCL seems to finally realize there's a real problem here. The bad news is, neither of these options is really fully satisfactory, at least to me.

I looked long and hard at that suite on Deck 9. It's about half the size of the suite I'm currently in. According to the NCL rep, one of the "bedrooms" (the one with the king bed) is really a part of the main living area of the suite and is created by drawing a curtain across the room. The balcony is 1/4 the size of the balcony on my current suite. The NCL rep also told me nothing had been done to the Deck 9 suite she was offering -- not even the carpet had been replaced. (Carpet has been replaced in the suite I'm currently in.) On the plus side, there are two real beds in the Deck 9 suite (three, actually -- two twins can be put together into one bed). There are two full bathrooms. And at the end of the day, NCL doesn't have a better suite to offer me on the ship, on any sailing, even if I could change dates.

After a lot of discussion and pouring over cabin plans and comparing pros and cons, my family decided we'll make 12006 work and take the $300 OBC. Is that really enough to compensate us for not getting what NCL represented we would get? Probably not -- but it is something more than a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries, and my family is ready to move on with enjoying the preparations for vacation.

We were given the same option last month and opted for the SA suite on Deck 9. However, we were told the carpet was changed as were the furnishings, televisions, etc as part of the overall dry dock last spring. This was a significant upgrade in terms of going from a SD to a SA, and the usual cost was over 15K for this suite. For our family of 5, this was a better option for us than sticking with the one large room and a pull down murphy bed.

Ill let you know if a couple of weeks if we made the right choice

We were given the same option last month and opted for the SA suite on Deck 9. However, we were told the carpet was changed as were the furnishings, televisions, etc as part of the overall dry dock last spring. This was a significant upgrade in terms of going from a SD to a SA, and the usual cost was over 15K for this suite. For our family of 5, this was a better option for us than sticking with the one large room and a pull down murphy bed.

Ill let you know if a couple of weeks if we made the right choice

Interesting. I was offered 9500 and was SPECIFICALLY told by the NCL representative that absolutely nothing had been done to the suite during the dry dock.

Interesting. I was offered 9500 and was SPECIFICALLY told by the NCL representative that absolutely nothing had been done to the suite during the dry dock.

Considering the very significant price difference in what my original suite was selling for, vs what the SA 9500/9000 was/is selling for, I took the upgrade. Besides, the alternative was to stuff all five of us in one room, with a pull down bed, and one bathroom, etc. We chose to sacrifice with a smaller balcony, and even that may be a plus since with the forward view, we will be able to see both sides.

While I was looking forward to being in one of the new Deck 13 Suites, I think it was a no brainer for us. The difference in price between the two suites was double. 7500 vs 15K.

As far as any post dry dock stuff. I can't imagine them replacing every tube tv with a flat panel and leaving the top end suites out, same goes for the carpet and furnishings. We shall see in a couple of weeks!!!

Edited by trintrav

As far as any post dry dock stuff. I can't imagine them replacing every tube tv with a flat panel and leaving the top end suites out, same goes for the carpet and furnishings. We shall see in a couple of weeks!!!

Since 2009 (when we started cruising - the first one was a fwd suite on Jade) we haven't been in a suite that didn't have a flat screen tv on any of the NCL ships - of course I haven't been on POA but I was under impression that all suites got flat screens fleetwide already years ago.

I actually think some degree of work (like carpet changes etc) can happen while the ship is in port during the day or perhaps when a room doesn't get booked. Not all of the reno was doing during the dry dock

Edited by CactusFlower527

So Guest Services (had to be transferred to two different people before someone could "help" me) says they have no idea why the Owner's Suite description and photo is what now shows up on my reservation. They *promise* that I do have 12006, and that is the Deluxe Owner's Suite that is 1,382 square feet. I told them that surely they could understand why I don't have a great deal of faith in NCL right now given that I now have TWO issues with my suite. I also noted that they are getting some bad publicity on Cruise Critic, that at least some of their customers feel they've been deceived (not a good thing) and that they really need to do something sooner rather than later to fix this.

They promise a supervisor will call me.

Probably for the same reason that we've been told we have a suite with 1 bedroom ... and only 1 bathroom etc .. and yet the photo shows the 2 br and 2 bathrooms .........and is still labeled SD (which is the same class assigned to 13502). The letter is still going out to the Florida AG ...

Good Afternoon,

We apologize for any confusion related to the new suites and stateroom descriptions on board Pride of America. In an effort to clarify the descriptions, we updated all of them on our site at: http://www.ncl.com/content/pride-america-suite-details.

For those currently booked, if you have any questions about your reservation or suite, please email: rdteam@ncl.com.

Thank you and have a great day,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations Department

Good Afternoon,

We apologize for any confusion related to the new suites and stateroom descriptions on board Pride of America. In an effort to clarify the descriptions, we updated all of them on our site at: http://www.ncl.com/content/pride-america-suite-details.

For those currently booked, if you have any questions about your reservation or suite, please email: rdteam@ncl.com.

Thank you and have a great day,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations Department

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations Department--

Thank you for updating all of the suite descriptions. That's some small progress.

However, you must understand updating the website doesn't address the fact that many of us booked our suites -- among the most expensive accommodations on the Pride of America -- based on the incorrect descriptions. We were consistently given contradictory and confusing information by NCL representatives over a period of months. And when we finally found out how our suites actually are configured, for many (most?) of us, it was too late to cancel or rebook. Using myself as an example, I found out after the final payment/cancellation date for the suite, after I had already booked 3 non-refundable round trip airline tickets and after I and my family had arranged our vacation schedules.

I very much appreciate that you took the time to respond to this post. That's step one in repairing the relationship between NCL and its suite guests. Step two is to offer real compensation to your guests. Again, using myself as an example, offering to move me into a suite that is 1/2 the size of the one I booked (and is on a lower deck, with one "bedroom" formed by pulling a curtain across the main room) or $300 in OBC doesn't feel like real compensation.

You can look at this situation as something to be resolved as quickly, quietly and cheaply as possible -- or you can turn it from a mistake into an opportunity to seal your customers' loyalty to you. It's what a company does when it makes a mistake that will cause customers to come back, year after year, and to recommend the company to others. I promise you -- if NCL does the right thing and makes a real effort to compensate its suite guests in this situation, the company will reap years of benefits.

I will write the email address you've provided, and I hope the other guests affected will as well.

Edited by Midnight Blue

Just a quick update. I did write the email address in the post from NCL above and I'm waiting on a response. (It's not an issue for me that NCL hasn't responded yet -- I certainly am willing to give NCL PR some time to consider my email and develop a response.)

I booked a SE suite on deck 13 for Dec 7. Now I wonder what I will be looking at. Is that terraced and I will be looking down on someone else's balcony on deck 12?

What are the differences between a deck 13 SE and a deck 10 SE? I may have to change.

I booked a SE suite on deck 13 for Dec 7. Now I wonder what I will be looking at. Is that terraced and I will be looking down on someone else's balcony on deck 12?

What are the differences between a deck 13 SE and a deck 10 SE? I may have to change.

We ALMOST booked one of those *new* PH Suites on Dec 13.

We - and our travel agent - KEPT asking NCL about why the deck plans for Deck 13 had that "white area" around everything. No other deck plans showed that.

And for good measure, we called another cruise specialist travel agent.

(As an aside, this agent was told by NCL that the categories of suites on Deck 13 were totally different!)

We didn't trust that anyone knew what was "going on" with respect to Deck 13.

We chose Deck 10, even though it wasn't fresh and new.

But it was "knew" in that we knew what we'd be getting.

LOOK AT THE PHOTO POSTED EARLIER.

It looks like all suites and especially the balconies on Deck 13 will be like living in a fishbowl.

Last time I looked, there were still suites available on Deck 10 for that cruise.

GeezerCouple

Looking how they classified the rooms on their link it looks like they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole in terms of the category designation. They are inconsistent with most other ships in the upper categories for NCL.

Looking how they classified the rooms on their link it looks like they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole in terms of the category designation. They are inconsistent with most other ships in the upper categories for NCL.

I agree. Suite 9500, now a category SA, is 1/2 the size of the Deluxe Owners Suite (category SB) that I booked and doesn't seem at all consistent with other top end suites in the NCL fleet. But it did allow them to offer to "upgrade" me at "no charge" to a suite 1/2 the size of the one I paid for. :cool:

We leave next week, and NCL just called my TA with an "update" on our room config. We were originally booked in an SD, and upgraded to the SA, room 9000. I didnt realize 9500 and 9000 received any modifications other than carpet and such. Below was the info NCL passed on to my TA. Seems the same as its been...wonder why the call to inform me of "new configurations"?

Norwegian called to make sure you were aware of the room set up for your suite as these are new configurations. Your room has a king in the master bed room and convertible beds in the other room. There is also a Pullman bed. There is a door to separate the master bed room but only a curtain for the other bedroom. There are 2 baths. 1 bathroom has a tub/shower and the other just has a shower. The room is 509 Square Feet and has a 98 Square Foot Balcony.