Transatlantic 9th November now 2 segments

Delilah21

I was disappointed - but not surprised - to learn from my TA that this cruise has now been split into two segments (Barcelona to Funchal 6 days and Funchal to Fort Lauderdale 10 days). Presumably this is because the cruise wasn't selling well. I hope this development does not upset the balance, especially in view of the adverse comments i have read regarding the shorter cruises and the fact that flights on budget airlines would be very reasonable at this time of year. Also the cruise only prices offered in UK £s (adding the two segments together) works out fractionally less than the on line lead in price for the whole cruise. Am I being concerned unnecessarily?

I wouldn't read too much into the change. I suspect that Europeans may have pushed for this, since many winter over in the Madeiras and want to get off there. We've done the Spirit crossing in 2010 and 2011 and have had @375-400 pax aboard. Remember, this is a repositioning cruise for SS. Cheer up, we have a great group and you'll have a wonderful time!

Last year on the Spirit's TA there were 120 of us for the first six days and then 40 more people joined in St. John's making a grand total of 160. The extra 40 did slightly upset the balance, only because we all got to know each other for the first week and the newbies felt like 'interlopers'. Doesn't seem as if the ship will be full this time either, but we're sure we'll all have a great time.

I apologise if I've offended anyone saying that guests who joined us on the second leg of the crossing in November 2012 were 'interlopers'. What I meant to say, taking account of other messages is that if you join a TA cruise half way through, it's always going to be a bit awkward because most guests have made friends on the first leg of the crossing. We made lots of new friends the first leg of the cruise but the second leg from St. Johns to Fort Lauderdale meant that we stopped (apart from a couple of days at sea) everyday so we weren't able to get to know anyone else. What I also meant to say that it was lovely to only have 1/3rd full of guests being catered for. The staff and crew seemed to know our names the minute we embarked in Las Palmas. How great is that? Look forward to meeting everyone on board SS on the 9th November - can't wait!

Archived