snorkeling from the beach - question re: coral/low water

tbmrt

I've snorkeled from ships in the past in many islands...Love it - no problems.

In St. Thomas I snorkeled from a beach and in my enthusiasm watching fish, I ended up in low water over coral! Besides worrying about ruining coral if I stood up, I was afraid I'd get cut. Floated out on my backside which was embarrassing!

We're going snorkeling in Curacao and I read that there is good snorkeling off beaches.

Is there a way to tell if I am too close to coral on bottom when snorkeling? I hate to miss out on the opportunity of snorkeling at beaches, along reefs, etc., but really am afraid that I may "drift" to low water again!

Hope this isn't a really stupid question...I really would like to snorkel from the beach and get over my fear of the coral!

You are correct that you can end up in a very shallow location which not only could cause some cuts to you but also damage the coral. There really is not a great answer but I would make sure I was wearing fins. Even with little to no current the fins are important as they let you maneuver easily and if there is some current you should be able to snorkel against the current to get out of harms way.

there is no substitute for remaining aware of your surroundings

some people look up after a while and find they are WAY WAY off shore - something they did not plan on . . . an equally bad situation.

to expand the issue

this can certainly be a problem for shore divers . . . it is NOT cool to realize you have 500 lbs of air and have NO idea where you are . . .

there are two good options:

- rely on your dive master to know where you are

- keep track of where you are even if it cuts into a little dive time. Use your compass ... or a surface peek . . . lift your head and look around to keep track of where you are . . .

quiz:

One of those is the BEST idea?

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself in a situation my very first time snorkeling after many years of not snorkeling and forgot how easily you drift in the ocean. I ended up with a nasty cut.

Since then, I always make sure I bring my face up out of the water every few minutes to be aware of my surroundings. It has saved me several times and got me to turn around quickly and head back the way I came. :)

Archived