getting from Monte Carlo to Paris?

poss

We disembark in Monte Carlo. Since we know both MC and Nice well, we'd love to use the opportunity to do post-cruise in either Paris or somewhere like Aix en Provence. But we're elderly (healthy) and will have luggage. I think that taking train will be too cumbersome.

Does anyone know a good small tour company from Monte Carlo that does trips to Provence towns (like Aix or Avignon), or can someone suggest an uncomplicated way for us to get to Paris?

Thanks!

We disembark in Monte Carlo. Since we know both MC and Nice well, we'd love to use the opportunity to do post-cruise in either Paris or somewhere like Aix en Provence. But we're elderly (healthy) and will have luggage. I think that taking train will be too cumbersome.

Does anyone know a good small tour company from Monte Carlo that does trips to Provence towns (like Aix or Avignon), or can someone suggest an uncomplicated way for us to get to Paris?

Thanks!

Actually, the easiest way is the TGV. Just pay the extra for the 1st class tickets, the cars are super spacious and comfortable. If you hire a driver to take you from the port to the station and help with the luggage you will be fine. The driver can take your bags and load them in the train.

Now, here is the catch - most TGVs to Paris start at Nice. There are only two that you can get at Monaco and go straight to Paris: at 8:57 am and 11:05 am. All the other trains require you to change at Nice. (I am looking at an actual SNCF schedule I picked up two weeks ago in Nice.) You can reserve your tickets and get seat assignments in the internet.

The alternative would be to fly to Paris from Nice. That means taxi to Nice airport, waiting for the flight, flying, and train or taxi to Paris. I vote for the train. It will take you about the same time and be far more comfortable and less expensive.

We agree with Marazul that the TGV is the best and most convenient way to get to Paris. And first class does get you some extra seat space...although even 2nd class is very nice on the TGV coaches. But, luggage is still going to be the responsibility of each traveler, and this might be a problem for the OP. The TGV coaches have a luggage storage area on each car, so if you can manage to drag your luggage on and off the train you will be fine.

We are also seniors and do a lot of cruise and European travel. Luggage is often a major issue in our planning, but in many cases, folks need to be able to handle all of their own luggage (taking a train is one of those cases). This means either packing light, or being physically able to deal with your own luggage. You cannot depend on finding porters in train stations (and even in some airports). Even when we do driving trips (we love to drive in Europe) one needs to be careful to get a car that has adequate space for luggage. Leaving luggage in clear view within a car is a recipe for disaster since luggage thieves are all too common in Western Europe.

Hank

Thank you both so much for your prompt and considered replies.

Hank, my husband no longer drives, but even I don't feel comfortable driving in Europe at this stage. In fact, I thought there was some sort of age limit for renting cars abroad (we're late 70's,80's). Marazul, I suspect you're correct that we could get a driver to load our luggage in Monte Carlo or Nice, but I suspect it's correct, too, that we'd have a problem dragging our luggage around on a train. (We manage ok in airports, but they're "steady," and one has plenty of time.) I know that we'd not be able to handle hauling the bags down the steps of the train, especially in a hurry.

So does this mean Paris is out for us? (I guess we could fly, but that seems inconvenient and wasteful.)

We'd be just as happy, I think, being able to settle in one of the towns in Provence and taking day tours from there. I know there are small tour groups that are centered in Aix and I believe in Avignon. But the trick is getting there from Monte Carlo.

Thanks again.

What a dilemma. DWs reaction to your post is that "getting old sucks." We are still young 60s...but are very aware of impact of age on travel. So what can you do? Well, another alternative is to fly although you might find that your luggage costs more to transport on the plane then yourselves. You would need to get a ground transfer to NCE from where there are plenty of flights to Paris. And then once at the airport in Paris you can again use a taxi or transfer company to get to your hotel. Using air usually gives you the chance to pay a porter to handle your luggage needs.

And by the way, there is still a way for somebody in their 80s to get a car in Europe. There is no age limit involved in doing a lease...but its a minimum of 21 days. That being said, not sure I would still want to drive in Europe in my 80s. We are currently planning a lengthy driving trip in France and part of my thinking is that we need to do these driving trips now while we are still young enough to handle the rigors.

Hank

Thank you both so much for your prompt and considered replies.

Hank, my husband no longer drives, but even I don't feel comfortable driving in Europe at this stage. In fact, I thought there was some sort of age limit for renting cars abroad (we're late 70's,80's). Marazul, I suspect you're correct that we could get a driver to load our luggage in Monte Carlo or Nice, but I suspect it's correct, too, that we'd have a problem dragging our luggage around on a train. (We manage ok in airports, but they're "steady," and one has plenty of time.) I know that we'd not be able to handle hauling the bags down the steps of the train, especially in a hurry.

So does this mean Paris is out for us? (I guess we could fly, but that seems inconvenient and wasteful.)

We'd be just as happy, I think, being able to settle in one of the towns in Provence and taking day tours from there. I know there are small tour groups that are centered in Aix and I believe in Avignon. But the trick is getting there from Monte Carlo.

Thanks again.

poss, here's the link to a video showing a TGV Duplex train, which is apparently the usual model used on the Nice-Paris run:

. Note in particular from 0:49 on, which shows the path from the door to the downstairs first class seating. As you can see, it's virtually level with the platform, then two very small steps down to the compartment, with the luggage rack right as you enter. I believe Nice is the starting point for the train, so if you get there early, you'll have plenty of time to enter, place your luggage on the rack, and go to your seat. I obviously can't tell you what you'll be able to do, but if you can handle your luggage, this should be doable.

That said, Provence is really quite lovely. I stayed near Aix a few years ago, and loved the place. Definitely worthy of a few days post-cruise.

Marazul, I suspect you're correct that we could get a driver to load our luggage in Monte Carlo or Nice, but I suspect it's correct, too, that we'd have a problem dragging our luggage around on a train. (We manage ok in airports, but they're "steady," and one has plenty of time.) I know that we'd not be able to handle hauling the bags down the steps of the train, especially in a hurry.

We took the TGV three times last month. as Twickenham said, it is easy on and off. And as Hank says, there are luggage racks at the end of each car where a driver can put them in for you. (Get a little chain lock to secure your bags to the rack if you worry about security.) Also, there were racks above the seat where carry-ons fit very nicely. Still, try to pack light...

Paris is the end of the line, so you would have plenty of time to get your bags off without any hurry. That is why I recommended those two train times from Monaco because, once on the train, you do not have to switch to another one. (Those two TGVs come from Italy stopping at Monaco and Nice. All other times, the TGV to Paris starts in Nice.)

Also, look in the train website and see if you can request porter help in Paris for handicapped. French consider seniors to need extra help as other handicapped may do. We observed porters waiting for specific cars to help people out.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Staying in Aix, Avignon or Arles is also a great choice.

Many thanks again. I think I've pretty well nixed the idea of Aix, etc. since that would mean I'd not only have to find a way to get to that part of Provence, but then have the problem of getting to Paris airport.

While flying wouldn't be my choice for getting to Paris, it may end up having to be that, just so that we don't worry about the hauling of luggage. It's so frustrating since our "included" air from Nice actually stops in Paris, but we're not permitted to stop over in Paris unless we pay a fee of, I think, $350. (No way.) I have some Delta miles; perhaps I'll be able to use them on a flight on Air France from Nice to Paris; I know it won't be trouble to get a transfer from Monte Carlo to Nice.

Or perhaps we could use the services of Luggage Free and ship our large suitcase home. But that, too, is fairly expensive I believe.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Despite the fact that you know Nice well, a possibility is staying there as a base and using the wonderful cheap bus system (1.5 Euro) and to explore or re-explore more thoroughly the towns in the area - St. Paul de Vence, Antibes, Menton, Eze..... Hank could probably add a few more gems The bus system, I believe, even goes to some of the French Alps towns. I could easily spend a month in Nice and never use a car, living the life of a British retiree.

If you decide to go to Paris by air - one way flights are not that expensive on AF (under a $100) if booked well enough in advance. Where it becomes costly is taxi's back and forth from airports if one wants to avoid trains.

If you decide to go to Paris by air - one way flights are not that expensive on AF (under a $100) if booked well enough in advance.

poss- I assume your flight is Nice-Paris and Paris-home. If so, you might have some trouble boarding in Paris after flying there one-way on your own. Better clear that with the airline before you buy additional tickets. The $350 change fee might end up being the cheapest option, especially if you can get some ship transport from the cruise to Nice airport. This will be cheaper than your own taxi.

marazul: Thanks for your concern, though I think I'm not understanding. I.e. why would Delta (which is the only non-stop to PHL) care whether I reached Paris by train or plane? I've never been asked at a ticket counter how I got there. If I fly Air France Nice-Paris on, say, June 22, stay some days in Paris, and then fly home to PHL, why should it matter that x number of days ago, I was in Nice?

marazul: Thanks for your concern, though I think I'm not understanding. I.e. why would Delta (which is the only non-stop to PHL) care whether I reached Paris by train or plane? I've never been asked at a ticket counter how I got there. If I fly Air France Nice-Paris on, say, June 22, stay some days in Paris, and then fly home to PHL, why should it matter that x number of days ago, I was in Nice?

I'm assuming if you don't show up for the first leg of the flight it's a concern that they'll cancel your transatlantic portion when you don't show up for the flight in Nice. Are your flights currently one ticket? The feisty group on the cruise air forum can probably give you the absolute what - if's with what you are planning knowing all the details.

I'm assuming if you don't show up for the first leg of the flight it's a concern that they'll cancel your transatlantic portion when you don't show up for the flight in Nice. Are your flights currently one ticket? The feisty group on the cruise air forum can probably give you the absolute what - if's with what you are planning knowing all the details.

That's what I meant. Thanks!

poss - Do check with the airline before you decide not to use the first leg of your scheduled flights. If the Nice flight was purchased and ticketed separately, you should not have that problem - but check anyway.

Hello to my faithful helpers-- et merci, merci.

The flight from Nice to Paris would be a totally separate ticket from the one from Paris-PHL, so no problem there. Thanks for questioning that though.

But here's the thing: My husband (who is well into his 80's and isn't a real gung-ho traveler anymore) is much less comfortable in large cities than in towns and countryside. He's kind of hoping we don't go to Paris. He feels he'd be easier in Provence, and I suspect he's correct. (We loved Nice and St Paul and Eze, etc.)

So now I'm going to turn my attention to figuring out if it's do-able for us to somehow get from Monte Carlo to Aix or Avignon, and then to the Paris airport. We'd hire a private guide to take us around to the towns, or, better yet, a small tour company. I'd prefer to stay somewhere like St Remy, but I believe that transportation, tours, etc. would be much easier from Aix or Avignon.

I will put the transportation query on another post, but I wanted to get back to my CC friends on this one.

Merci beaucoup!!

poss -

I hate to keep on harping on this. I may be misunderstanding your plans, but there are two seemingly contradictory statements. First, you said:

"It's so frustrating since our "included" air from Nice actually stops in Paris, but we're not permitted to stop over in Paris unless we pay a fee of, I think, $350. (No way.)"

Then you said:

"The flight from Nice to Paris would be a totally separate ticket from the one from Paris-PHL, so no problem there."

If your Nice-Paris and Paris-PHL trip are two connecting legs of the same "included" air on the same day, then you do have the problem of having the Paris-PHL leg canceled if you do not check in for the Nice-Paris leg the same day. They may be "separate" tickets on separate planes, but if they were booked as two connecting legs of the "included" return home, you have a problem. That is the Nice to Paris flight we are concerned about, not the one you would purchase to fly to Paris a few days earlier. You need to check with the cruise line or the airline before you change your plans.

If you do stay in the South and use your connecting Nice-Paris and Paris-PHL tickets as scheduled, you have no problem at all. If you decide to buy a ticket to fly from Marseilles to Paris and skip the Nice-Paris "included" leg, then you have the same problem as above.

How does the airline know? The airlines track passengers on connecting flights. Presumably, you are supposed to check your bags through from Nice to PHL from one scheduled flight to the connecting flight. They expect that if you have the "included" air with two legs. The airline tracks whether you checked in or not. (They would not track it if you bought each leg as separate flights with two separate credit card transactions. Then they would not be connecting flights. Cruise line "included" flights are normally booked as "connecting" flights.)

Enjoy your vacation, but don't miss your flight home!

marazul: How very kind you are to keep questioning so that I don't get caught unaware. That really is going above and beyond, and I'm grateful. Here's the situation:

Airfare is included in our cruise fare. Since we disembark in Monte Carlo, our flight would be from Nice to Paris to Philadelphia. We are, however, able to forego the Nice to Paris part of the included air and simply fly from Paris to PHL. We would then be booked only on the Delta non-stop from CDG-PHL. In other words, these would be two totally different flights, on different days.

It's frustrating because, in effect, we "lose" the Nice-Paris part of the transportation. To get from Nice to Paris, we'd be paying on our own. Plus arranging everything.

I'm still back-and-forthing about Paris vs Provence. If I don't get this figured out soon, and have our TA lock in the Paris-PHL leg, we'll lose our non-stop flight home.

Thanks!

If you do decide to go to Aix, I can recommend the Hotel Saint Christophe which is more or less next to the tourist office where you can book tours and also from where several tours start. It's a very pleasant hotel with excellent food, very central and convenient. Worth considering and also a google!

marazul: How very kind you are to keep questioning so that I don't get caught unaware. That really is going above and beyond, and I'm grateful. Here's the situation:

Airfare is included in our cruise fare. Since we disembark in Monte Carlo, our flight would be from Nice to Paris to Philadelphia. We are, however, able to forego the Nice to Paris part of the included air and simply fly from Paris to PHL. We would then be booked only on the Delta non-stop from CDG-PHL. In other words, these would be two totally different flights, on different days.

It's frustrating because, in effect, we "lose" the Nice-Paris part of the transportation. To get from Nice to Paris, we'd be paying on our own. Plus arranging everything.

I'm still back-and-forthing about Paris vs Provence. If I don't get this figured out soon, and have our TA lock in the Paris-PHL leg, we'll lose our non-stop flight home.

Thanks!

I am glad you still have the option. It looked like you already had the tickets. I heard it happened to a neighbor of ours who changed his mind at the last minute and ended up stranded in Madrid!

I guess I wouldn't so much mind be stranded in Madrid. But I'd prefer being stranded in France. ;-)

Thanks for the hotel suggestion. I checked Hotel St Christophe and it's rated way down the list on Trip Advisor. Can you tell me why you liked it so much? What we're looking for is something that's as quiet and restful as possible. We don't enjoy being smack in the center of things-- not relaxing enough. We're also hoping to find really good bathroom (shower, not tub) and king bed. I know: Good luck! ;-)

We found the hotel to be ideal for us. It was convenient, lovely restaurant with excellent quality of meals and as I have said, only a minute from the tourist office where we had the choice of several trips.

It is not the most expensive of hotels and I would imagine you would want one of the larger rooms. We found it friendly, clean and comfortable. From your posts, I thought a convenient hotel would suit your plans. It does have some very good reviews, just make sure you try and get a larger room if you prefer more space.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope your plans work well.

Poss,

I'm trying to get an idea of what your ideal way of handling the itinerary would be.

I'm assuming a guided tour out of Monte Carlo or Nice to Provence (west) with return to Nice airport would be the ideal. TripAdvisor might be the best place to see if there is anyone offering such a trip.

Assuming (big assumption here) is second choice is finding a private transfer from Monte Carlo to Avignon or Aix, from which you would find your own tours of the area? Then flying out of Marseille to Paris? or Nice to Paris?

Archived