Formal Night Attire

Den53

Different Maitre D. Two different sets of rules on formal nights. First cruise I saw lots of men with no jackets on formal night. Second one, no jacket no dinner. As some of the most sought after meals on board such as lobster tend to be served on formal night I would throw in a blazer into the suitcase just for good measure.

Iancal suggested future trends will be less formal dress for the formal nights. I don't know if that is wishful thinking or observation. Certainly anyone following the Carnival forum would also agree. But Sally and I have not seen a less formal trend on our last few cruises, most notably Princess and Celebrity cruises. Last years RCCL cruise might have been less formal, but not so much so that I remember.

We don't cruise enough to see where the trends are going, but I do wonder of the demographic that is trending to less formal dress during evening dining. Excluding the folks who are just expressing wishful thinking, and Carnival cruisers, who else is observing a trend of less formal dress attire?

Burt

I think age becomes a factor in future trends. Do 30 year old guys today own tuxedos? My 35 year old husband wears a dress jacket and tie on formal nights but doesn't own a tux. He would think I was crazy for suggesting he wear one. In 20 years, I don't see anyone wearing a tuxedo during formal night, only jackets and ties. My 70 year old uncle still wears his tux on formal nights, but people my age (32) aren't going to.

Another similar thread had this term - Geriatric Prom, for formal nights. This topic is about beat to death here which explains why it is such a mixed issue on board the ships as well. I agree with others the trend is less formal..I think the Tux is going the way of the "clock bracelet" among the younger generation. I am not of the younger generation however! We dress up but no tux, and certainly not a rental..this isn't a real event it is a "theme night".. but each to their own..

Another similar thread had this term - Geriatric Prom, for formal nights. This topic is about beat to death here which explains why it is such a mixed issue on board the ships as well. I agree with others the trend is less formal..I think the Tux is going the way of the "clock bracelet" among the younger generation. I am not of the younger generation however! We dress up but no tux, and certainly not a rental..this isn't a real event it is a "theme night".. but each to their own..

You make some very valid points although I would have to say that I have never heard comments while on the ship, just on these boards. I think that folks on the ship are polite enough not to comment on what others choose or not choose to wear.

as my handsome tux wearing husband and I laugh at those having the "silent laugh" LOL

Each to his own. For every person dressed up there is one dressed down. Everyone has their own preference. At the end of the day does it really matter? if you are having a good time that is all that counts. Don't worry about what somebody else is wearing. Why do you even bother worrying about what someone else is wearing? It seems petty to me as it really doesn't matter at all.

Paul

Each to his own. For every person dressed up there is one dressed down. Everyone has their own preference. At the end of the day does it really matter? if you are having a good time that is all that counts. Don't worry about what somebody else is wearing. Why do you even bother worrying about what someone else is wearing? It seems petty to me as it really doesn't matter at all.

Paul

I agree. That said, I think it is wrong to say, as some here suggest, that formal nights are dying out on Princess. On my last cruise-just last month-I saw most men in suits and tuxes. I did see some younger guys in a nice pair of pants, and a shirt/and or tie-but they were clearly in the minority.

It's definitely getting less formal. Some of the higher end lines dropped formal night altogether over the last two years (Regent completely and Seabourn on 7 day cruises). Celebrity, on some cruises one formal night is being switched to "Cocktail" night. And the enforcement just isn't what it used to be on the mainstream lines.

It's getting less formal because while cruising my be a special vacation for some, its become more of a routine trip for others. Dining used to give you something special to dress up but with cutbacks no as much. The next generation of cruisers might have 20 cruises under their belt by the time they are 30. The regularity of it almost cheapens the overall experience and the need to go all out. JMOP.

Now I am going to see if my gowns are in the mail. Its going to be 9 gowns and 7 cockatil dresses. Two gowns and a cocktail dress for each formal night:D:D

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree. That said, I think it is wrong to say, as some here suggest, that formal nights are dying out on Princess. On my last cruise-just last month-I saw most men in suits and tuxes. I did see some younger guys in a nice pair of pants, and a shirt/and or tie-but they were clearly in the minority.

Of course they're dying out, that's why the specialty restaurants are now smart casual every night.

Yes, you will see a few others dressed this way. We normally pack a light weight sport jacket. You can avoid formal dress altogether by dining in one of the surcharge restaurants the Crown Grill or Sabatini's on formal nights

Oh why would anyone want to avoid formal night?!? We love formal nights, we look forward to them. They are so fun. You get to dress up and have cocktails with other people that look as good as you do. You walk around and see everyone in their glitz and glam. It's a wonderful atmosphere.

Been on 3 cruises with Princess. Never once brought a suit and have never been turned down in the dining room. This past cruise I decided not to wear a tie, just black pants and a nice long sleeve shirt. You wear what you want and I'll do the same and everyone is happy.

I agree completely. I wear a tux. I like it when other people don't -- makes me stand out. Kinda like it doesn't bother me if my neighbors don't take care of their lawn. Mine looks better by comparison. ;)

Seriously, I fully understand those who wear (or wore) suits to work every day feeling like dressing down. I am one of those long-time cruisers who has watched cruising change over the years, and the relaxing of the dress doesn't bug me at all.

Yes, you will see a few others dressed this way. We normally pack a light weight sport jacket. You can avoid formal dress altogether by dining in one of the surcharge restaurants the Crown Grill or Sabatini's on formal nights, or dining in the buffet, grill, pizza or room service. For the surcharge restaurants make reservations early on as many choose formal nights to dine there.

I still fail to see the difference in weight and space between a sports jacket and trousers with shirt and tie and a tux. suit. The logic fails me!

Oh why would anyone want to avoid formal night?!? We love formal nights, we look forward to them. They are so fun. You get to dress up and have cocktails with other people that look as good as you do. You walk around and see everyone in their glitz and glam. It's a wonderful atmosphere.

Not all think dressing up is fun, more like work, but with fewer redeeming features. But, we do remember the days when we thought it was fun so we will avoid the MDR so that those who do can enjoy.

I took care of the shoe problem on our last cruise and will on our next one. Rent them on the ship. My size 12 Wides do take up a bit of space that could be better utilized to keep my luggage in the 50lb area. Two small steamer trunks and two carry-on's get it done. Flying up front takes care of Heavy weight luggage charges though. Also pouring Champaign in the atrium is a real blast especially when you are first in line in Tux and Tails!

Speaking for myself, I wore a suit or coat and tie every day at work. Now that I am retired, I wear what I like. What I do like is no neckties. I don't need a coat and tie to impress anyone when I'm on vacation.

Speaking for myself, I wore a suit or coat and tie every day at work. Now that I am retired, I wear what I like. What I do like is no neckties. I don't need a coat and tie to impress anyone when I'm on vacation.

Truer words have never been spoken. I fall in the same category. When I am on a cruise I do not want to feel like I am at work. No coats and ties.

Paul

Like the sweatshirt said:

I Don't Want Too.

You Can't Make Me.

I'm Retired.

I still fail to see the difference in weight and space between a sports jacket and trousers with shirt and tie and a tux. suit. The logic fails me!

You can get far more wear out of a sports jacket, trousers and shirt and normal dress shoes than you can a tux.

I make it even simpler. I am not on a cruise to impress anybody. If they feel they need to be impressed then it is their problem. I will stick with a long sleeve shirt and tie and use the extra weight for things I enjoy or want to take. I can get alot in by not taking a tux of a sport jacket.

You can get far more wear out of a sports jacket, trousers and shirt and normal dress shoes than you can a tux.

That's true for many men. As I said in another post, there are many occasions where wearing a tux would not be considered proper while wearing a sport jacket, etc.,would be.

Exactly! And that is what I wear on a cruise. I do not own a tux and have no desire to rent one nor do I see the need to do either one.

P.S. I have never heard anyone comment on what I am wearing on a cruise. The snarky comments only come on these boards.