Buyer Beware! SCAM

deerby27

So glad to hear that NCL is in your corner (doesn't surprise me at all) and that they were able to process your payment directly and without penalty.

I suspect this guy has been like a hamster in a wheel, running this cash-flow problem. It's not quite a ponzi-scheme, but it is definitely indicative of a serious business problem.

Here's hoping all your hard work results in this business being shut down, and recompense for all who have been victimized. I suspect the numbers are large.

Thanks so much for the thorough update!

Happy Sailing!!!

:)

I tried to dispute with Paypal but was outside their 45-day complaint window, so they automatically dismissed my dispute (which, once again, reinforces never, ever paying for travel--or anything else "long-range"--through Paypal). So glad that my Paypal is linked to a credit card, so I am disputing the charges with them directly. It may take a while for them to investigate, but I see no reason why I should not get my money back eventually.

I too was too was in this exact situation with one online purchase of an item that didn't arrive in promised time, however AmEx handled the situation perfectly after PayPal had informed me that they wouldn't process the dispute anymore.

"The moral of the story is, always make any payments for your cruise directly to the cruise line."

It's my understanding that if you book through a TA, that is who you make payment to. I don't think you can download edocs unless the balance is paid in full, though, so you would know if payment has not been made to NCL.

A good reputable agency will never ever ask you to pay for a cruise through Paypal.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

This is not true, I always use a TA and never book direct with the cruise line because I get so much better customer service from my TA. When I book a cruise and give her a CC for deposit and any other payments, the payment goes directly to the cruise line immediately from my CC and can be checked online with my CC company. She is a local franchise with one of the largest cruise line booking agencies and 100% reputable.

The real moral of the story should be never use any online booking person or company you know nothing about and can not show up at their doorstep when there is a problem. The OP is very very lucky she got this resolved.

YES!!! You said it!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

I'm so glad you got your situation somewhat resolved.

The other thing you can do is file a complaint with CLIA to which he is a member.

I got a response from the FLA. attorney General and they forwarded my complaint to the specific department that handles travel agencies.

I have covered many bases in my attempt to get this guy shut down. If anyone has something that I may have missed, please let me know.

I'm so glad you got your situation somewhat resolved.

The other thing you can do is file a complaint with CLIA to which he is a member.

I got a response from the FLA. attorney General and they forwarded my complaint to the specific department that handles travel agencies.

I have covered many bases in my attempt to get this guy shut down. If anyone has something that I may have missed, please let me know.

I cannot say enough good things about the Florida Attorney General. They are fast, and they always handle the complaints.

sdmike has it right. If you are using the website where different TA's bid for your business, always look very carefully at the background of the TA you are considering. You can do this on the bidding website itself (they have ratings and comments on the various TA's). In addition, I always research the TA independently. The larger, well known agencies with an established presence on the web should be fine. I steer clear of the smaller agencies and independent TA's.

I'm glad this eventually worked out for the OP.

Ouch. I hope not everyone feels this way. Just because the agencies are smaller or the agents are independent doesn't mean they are bad.

I got mine all taken care of today. I got a hold on my final payment made through pay pal when this thread started. He had contacted me asking me to release the hold but I did not. Today he 3 way called with me and NCl and I made the final payment direct to NCl. I will now get my pay pal money back.

I may be naïve, but in talking with him throughout this entire thing, I am not so sure he was intentionally trying to rip me off. I kinda have a feeling he was moving money around, kinda borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and things got away from him and out of hand.

I gotta say that NCL customer service was very patient with me and went out of their way before the 3 way call to advice me on how to handle things and assuring me that they would make sure things were made right.

Glad you got it taken care of.

Intentional or not, no one wants to do business with someone who cannot handle your money. I told him when I talked to him, that when he realized he had a money problem, he should have alerted any affected customers so they were not surprised when they got an email from the cruise line.

Glad you got it taken care of.

Intentional or not, no one wants to do business with someone who cannot handle your money. I told him when I talked to him, that when he realized he had a money problem, he should have alerted any affected customers so they were not surprised when they got an email from the cruise line.

I agree, I was just saying I don't think this was a planned scam on his part.

I got mine all taken care of today. I got a hold on my final payment made through pay pal when this thread started. He had contacted me asking me to release the hold but I did not. Today he 3 way called with me and NCl and I made the final payment direct to NCl. I will now get my pay pal money back.

Bill, congratulations!! I'm so happy that you got this worked out in a positive fashion. Just as relieved that NCL came through and helped you out as well, BIG KUDOS TO NCL.

Now you can relax and really enjoy your cruise. Good for you.

I may be naïve, but in talking with him throughout this entire thing, I am not so sure he was intentionally trying to rip me off. I kinda have a feeling he was moving money around, kinda borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and things got away from him and out of hand.

I gotta say that NCL customer service was very patient with me and went out of their way before the 3 way call to advice me on how to handle things and assuring me that they would make sure things were made right.

So glad to read that you got it taken care of!!

This absolutely makes my day! I've been wondering each day if you would post a resolution, and I'm just tickled pink that the situation has been resolved and you have not lost any money in the process. :)

I wouldn't say that you're naive. I would say that you've been compassionate. It's abundantly clear that this agent was engaging in less-than-honorable activity with your money and the money of others, but no one can say why, or for how long. You were considerably more patient than I and many others would have been!

Further proof that Norwegian cares about their guests, and is willing to assist them even when the problem lies elsewhere. Huge kudos to Norwegian.

Here's wishing you a fantastic voyage!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to the list who was hurt by this guy. NCL cancelled my reservation yesterday without notification. Girl at NCL said "corporate" cancelled all transaction related to this agency. I see half my money from am. ex was returned from NCL but half ($1000) is mia. Am ex is refunding me that portion. I am more upset that NCL has cancelled my cruise without even an e-mail and when I called today they basically said too bad- you can rebook at the new rate which is outrageous. I wrote a detailed letter and hope they will honor my original rate. We are an avid NCL family and am just crushed that I fell for this scam :(

Even when you book through a TA you do not make payment to them. They pay cruise line directly with your credit card number. Your credit card statement should always show the cruise line, not the TA, as the payee.

I would never make a payment to a TA's account since that is not how cruise lines operate with a TA.

This is exactly how our online TA handles payment. We provide a cc and they pas it on to NCL directly. The only charge we see on the cc statement is from NCL directly. Any reputable travel agent should be doing it this way. I would be very wary of any travel agent that takes your payment directly either by CC or PayPal. Especially paypal.

So sad that this agent caused so much misery to people. I use only one travel agency and they happen to be a large agency that I go to see in person, but I only use them for travel that requires expert assistance like traveling in Europe and staying in several countries. But when my family vacations via cruise, resorts in the US, I always book them directly with the cruise lines or resort. This type of vacation I can easily handle on my own and I don't mind not getting extra perks from a TA because I love being in control of everything.

So sad that this agent caused so much misery to people. I use only one travel agency and they happen to be a large agency that I go to see in person, but I only use them for travel that requires expert assistance like traveling in Europe and staying in several countries. But when my family vacations via cruise, resorts in the US, I always book them directly with the cruise lines or resort. This type of vacation I can easily handle on my own and I don't mind not getting extra perks from a TA because I love being in control of everything.

I am beyond upset. I am a full time working mom (nurse) going to school at night who lives for an NCL cruise once a year. I feel totally violated of any rights :(

Add me to the list who was hurt by this guy. NCL cancelled my reservation yesterday without notification. Girl at NCL said "corporate" cancelled all transaction related to this agency. I see half my money from am. ex was returned from NCL but half ($1000) is mia. Am ex is refunding me that portion. I am more upset that NCL has cancelled my cruise without even an e-mail and when I called today they basically said too bad- you can rebook at the new rate which is outrageous. I wrote a detailed letter and hope they will honor my original rate. We are an avid NCL family and am just crushed that I fell for this scam :(

This is terrible and I am surprised that NCL hasn't done anything to accommodate you. I hope that the people scammed by this crook file complaints in the states the agency resides for criminal fraud charges. I also would hope that NCL does this as well. This is why I never would use an online TA for anything and only use true travel professionals I personal know.

This is terrible and I am surprised that NCL hasn't done anything to accommodate you. I hope that the people scammed by this crook file complaints in the states the agency resides for criminal fraud charges. I also would hope that NCL does this as well. This is why I never would use an online TA for anything and only use true travel professionals I personal know.

NCL needs to explain why this guy is STILL listed as a TA on their own website. :rolleyes:

Archived