Princess Grill Questions

mandranuc

Just a few questions,

1. How do members compare the Princess Grill accommodation on QM2 to those on the QE/QV.?

2. Does the Grills Lounge on QV/QE ever get too crowded - either before dinner or at tea time?

3. Is Clotted Cream in the Grills Lounge now an item of the past?

4. Do PG guests have any particular place to wait prior to disembarkation.?

Thanks in anticipation

Mandranuc

I'll have a go a two of your questions.

2 The lounge can get quite busy before dinner (even though, of course, there is no set time for eating). I'd say around 8pm is the 'peak'. It can also get busy at tea, but if there is pressure on spaces then, the PG dining room is also opened up. That can actually be a more attractive option, as you may well get a table by the window.

4 Yes, there is a separate place before disembarkation but you may not need it as grills disembarkation usually starts at the same time as you are asked to vacate your cabin.

John

Just a few questions,

1. How do members compare the Princess Grill accommodation on QM2 to those on the QE/QV.?

2. Does the Grills Lounge on QV/QE ever get too crowded - either before dinner or at tea time?

Thanks in anticipation

Mandranuc

Can't help you on the accommodation or the clotted cream as I avoid the afternoon sandwiches, cakes and scones, but the QV Grill's lounge certainly gets full up at 'tea time', especially when it's cool or damp outside. So saying, you can usually get a seat some time during the time tea is served.

Pre dinner? Not really. We've always managed to find a seat when we've wandered in for a pre dinner drink.

I think PG guests can wait in the Grill lounge prior to disembarkation, but I'm sure someone which actual experience will give you the definitive answer.

I think the staterooms on the QM2 are superior to those on the QE. On the QM2 the rooms are basically square with a large balcony. Those on the QE are the same width as the regular balcony staterooms, just longer, so the balcony is tiny. Although I didn't measure them, it appears that the bathroom and walk-in closet are bigger on the QM2. After a while I came to like the long narrow room on the QE, but I would still prefer the QM2 room.

On our recent Norwegian cruise on QE there was clotted cream served with the delicious warm scones in the Grills Lounge.

Other than the staterooms, my opinion is that the Grills facilities on the QE (and of course the QV) are superior to that on the QM2. The location of the Grills Lounge, deck space and the restaurants with their great views are in a better position. The QE's Grills Lounge looked more like a deluxe lounge, albeit smaller, than its counterpart on the QM2. The latter ship does have an additional lounge - the concierge lounge - which is helpful. On the smaller Queens the concierge sits in a corner of the often crowded Grills Lounge.

These are just my observations, I'm sure others will have different views.

1) I love QM2, but I really prefer PG on the QV/QE over the QM2. It is must more enjoyable on QV because you are 'up top' in your own little world. You really get the sense of separation on QV/QE that you don't get on the QM2. On QM2 the grill only areas are on different decks, but on QV once you are carded onto the elevator you are really in a separate part of the ship, much like First/Business Class with the airlines, separate lounges/cabin.

HOWEVER, as far as the accommodations, I much preferred them on QM2. The P1 cabin layouts are better on QM2 and they feel more spacious then P1 on QV. Also there are steamer chairs on the QM2 balconies. I only visited the Concierge Lounge once on the QM2, I really didn't like being in there, no windows and somewhat musty smelling. Never went back.

2) Tea times are just WAY too crowded on QV. Several times we'd left because we were going to be seated in the vestibule on the sofa (I refuse to sit there). We didn't have a problem for pre-dinner drinks, there always seemed to be room. The staff in the Grills on both ships get to know you very quickly, they will remember your drinks and will refer to you by name.

3) On QM2 we usually went to the Queen's Room for tea because we like the atmosphere there and sometimes we were with a friend who was not a Grills passenger. There was clotted cream in December

4) I believe you can wait in the QG lounge for disembarkation on QV but on QM2 it's the Concierge lounge which isn't great. I'd been given the suggestion NOT to wait in either of the lounges because getting an available elevators on the upper floors is a real problem once announcements have started being made.

This is a tad off topic but we will be in the PG on our upcoming Canada/NE cruise but traveling with other who will just have a regular balcony room. I'm thinking it will be awkward not having dinner with them. Is it possible for us to eat in the regular dining room if we want to.

We did not go out of our way to get a PG suite but that was the cheapest balcony available as we booked very late.

I'm sure this has come up before but have not seen any post regarding this situation.

Thanks,

This is a tad off topic but we will be in the PG on our upcoming Canada/NE cruise but traveling with other who will just have a regular balcony room. I'm thinking it will be awkward not having dinner with them. Is it possible for us to eat in the regular dining room if we want to.

We did not go out of our way to get a PG suite but that was the cheapest balcony available as we booked very late.

I'm sure this has come up before but have not seen any post regarding this situation.

Thanks,

This my help:Am I able to dine in a restaurant that is allocated for other grades?

A couple of trips ago on the QM2 there was a couple at our large table in PG whose friends could not get a PG stateroom. The couple made arrangements through the PG maître d' to dine one night in Britannia. One other night, another couple at our PG table offered to dine elsewhere so the other couple's friends could take their seats at table. The maître d' agreed with this and the couple who had offered their seats, expecting to dine in Britannia or even Kings Court, were given seats for that one dinner at another table in the PG. I get the impression this situation is very rare and shouldn't be counted on, but all passengers were happy.

Regarding the tea, my wife and I also take tea in the Queen's Room at least twice on every voyage - for the ambience, especially if the string quartet or harpist is playing. I confess that we won't queue for the Queen's Room - well, maybe for a few minutes. The Grills lounge on the QM2 and QE (we haven't yet been on the QV) has its charms and offers a relaxed tea experience, but only recorded piano music.

Just a few questions,

Thanks in anticipation

Mandranuc

1)PG suites are generally larger(more square shped than long & narrow as on QV/QE)

2)Didn't stay in Grills on QV, but did check them out. The lounge seemed fine before dinner.The lounges do get crowded, however during tea.The tea service is much nicer in the Grills lounge. You have a tea menu. The staff likes to just pour any tea they may have, but do order from the menu if you'd like.

3)I had it on our last QG trip(late 2010)Had clotted cream during the Champagne tea on QV(2012)

4)We waited in the Grills lounge.

Thanks for the link.

DH and I are at odds on what to do.

I think we should try and eat with the others in the regular dining room but DH, who is a foodie, think we will be missing out by not dining in the Princess Grill.

Is the food that much different? I'm sure the Princess Grill is a smaller more intimate dining room and the service will be great.

Also in the Princess Grill are you assigned a dining time or do you just show up when you want to eat within a specific time frame. Do you have assigned tables if a fixed time? Do you go to the Princess Grill for breakfast and lunch too? So many questions - sorry.

Thanks for all the help - we got our room assignment yesterday and went from a P2 to a P1 room. I'm sure that is really just a location difference between the two categories.

Thanks for the link.

DH and I are at odds on what to do.

I think we should try and eat with the others in the regular dining room but DH, who is a foodie, think we will be missing out by not dining in the Princess Grill.

Is the food that much different? I'm sure the Princess Grill is a smaller more intimate dining room and the service will be great.

Also in the Princess Grill are you assigned a dining time or do you just show up when you want to eat within a specific time frame. Do you have assigned tables if a fixed time? Do you go to the Princess Grill for breakfast and lunch too? So many questions - sorry.

Thanks for all the help - we got our room assignment yesterday and went from a P2 to a P1 room. I'm sure that is really just a location difference between the two categories.

P grade staterooms are all the same except for location and possible HC adaptation. P1 is mid-ship while P2 is forward or aft.

The PG restaurant has just one sitting. Dinner is typically 6:30-9:30 PM ship's time. Just show up anytime between those hours for full service. Similar situation for breakfast and lunch. It is smaller and the waitstaff can devote much more individual attention since they don't have to get a first sitting out and a second sitting in. In Britannia the last dinner orders are taken 30 minutes after the announced dinner time. And they are serving hundreds of passengers and not just dozens as in PG. You will be at the same table, and have the same table mates, for all three meals each day.

In PG it is also possible to go off menu provided a request is made by lunch time, although I'm told this depends on who is running the dining room at that time. There are daily specials which do not appear on the Britannia menu. In my opinion you will indeed be missing out by dining in Britannia rather than PG. You're going to have to consider the relationship you have with these traveling companions.

There is also the option of dining in Todd English or one of the other specialty restaurants where stateroom grade won't matter.

I'm sure you understand why passengers in different stateroom grades can dine "down" but cannot dine "up". Otherwise just imagine how many new Britannia friends a Grills paying passenger could acquire.

You might be able to sneak your friends into the lounge for a pre dinner drink, but no chance for your friends to have a dinner in the PG.
No sneakiness at all is needed to invite non-grill friends to have a drink with you in the Queens Grill Lounge; but, do tell the bartender beforehand, so that when your grateful friends insist on buying you a round, their ID card will be accepted without question.

Having a meal with you in the Princess Grill is possible, but iffy. It depends on such variables as available space, how the Maitre d' feels about you (I'm talking friendly past history, not bribery), and special circumstances ("Please, sir, he's my long lost brother!").

You might be able to sneak your friends into the lounge for a pre dinner drink, but no chance for your friends to have a dinner in the PG.

We did that with our mother's friend. She dined in Britannia, whilest Richard & I dine in Queen's Grill. We "snuck" Liz up to the Queen's Grill lounge for tea several times.She hadn't been on Cunard since the late '50's, but they still had her info. from then. Nice to see it didn't get lost by the various owners of Cunard over the years.

Thanks for the replies to my original questions.

I see there is another topic on "off menu" in PG - that actually would not worry us so long as the a la carte menu I have seen in the past (not currently on Cunard's site) is still available. We tend to prefer trying items we do not usually order. Can members confirm the A la Carte is still fairly comprehensive?

Archived