Carnival Sunshine Steakhouse or Chef Table

eelia74

My family and I want to do one or the other and would love to know what you recommend with the Sunshine ship. Steakhouse or Chef Table?

It is really two different experiences. The steakhouse is a great meal. The chefs table is significantly longer, their menu (rather eclectic) and a really unique experience including a tour of the kitchen during first seating.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

When you say family, what ages are you talking about (and how big of a group)?

Personally, the Chef's table is one of my best experiences on Carnival. But I think it would be a difficult family event, because while they are great about accomodating food preferences, it is a 'foodie' experience that many people won't appreciate or want to spend that money on. (For the record- I do not drink, and thought the event was worth $70 without wine; if you do drink, wine was plentiful). Teens might enjoy it, but I don't think it is an event for kids: they may allow them, but as it is an intimate event for 12 passengers, who all sit together, I think I would have not enjoyed the night with kids unless they were truly unique children who could handle a 3+ hour gourmet dinner. In the steakhouse, children are seated at another table, and not something I take issue with unless they are actually misbehaving.

If it's a lot of family, with picky eaters: go for the steakhouse. If it is a group of say 4 adventurous eater adults: go for chef's table.

If you have not done the chefs table it is a different experience than the steakhouse and cannot be judged by price alone. I would choose the chefs table as long as no children were involved, as I imagine it would be a long boring meal for most (but not all) diners under 18.

I agree, steakhouse is more appropriate for a family with children. However, if you have the opportunity to do the Chef's table as a couple you should definitely do it at least once. We've done it twice on two different ships and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We like the unique experience, the behind the scenes look, the personal attention, the flowing wine, and of course the wonderful food! Two very different experiences and I would say that you can't go wrong with either choice. Enjoy!

I agree, steakhouse is more appropriate for a family with children. However, if you have the opportunity to do the Chef's table as a couple you should definitely do it at least once. We've done it twice on two different ships and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We like the unique experience, the behind the scenes look, the personal attention, the flowing wine, and of course the wonderful food! Two very different experiences and I would say that you can't go wrong with either choice. Enjoy!

I will agree and disagree a bit anyways. The CT is unique and in fiive visitis the loungest we have seen doing it was mid 20's. Kids would be bored silly. The mild disagree part is I feel kind of the same way about the SH. Two hour meal and we have seen kids there very rarely and they were not happy by the end of the meal.

I disagree. My son has been going to the steakhouse since he was six. He is now 11, and looks forward to it on every trip. He is polite, and well mannered as I expect him to be. (Otherwise, we'd be out of their in a second.) My point is is that he really likes it. Especially that chocolate sampler.

I disagree. My son has been going to the steakhouse since he was six. He is now 11, and looks forward to it on every trip. He is polite, and well mannered as I expect him to be. (Otherwise, we'd be out of their in a second.) My point is is that he really likes it. Especially that chocolate sampler.

My kids, too! They are now 11 and 15. Our first experience at the Steakhouse was on the Magic to celebrate our son's 10th birthday. We all loved it, and he also especially loved the chocolate sampler dessert! We did the same thing for his 11th birthday on the Freedom last spring.

Kudos to you, glad he enjoyed it. It can be trying for some. I actually felt more for the kids I saw than the parents and the other diners. The chocolate sampler is divine and worth waiting for.:)

Edited by jimbo5544

where is the CT held on the Sunshine? in the galley, or elsewhere?

We had the CT on the Sunshine. We ate in a meeting room on Deck 4, beside the Steakhouse and near the Limelight Lounge. It was an amazing experience that everyone should do once. Enjoy. Diane

We had the CT on the Sunshine. We ate in a meeting room on Deck 4, beside the Steakhouse and near the Limelight Lounge. It was an amazing experience that everyone should do once. Enjoy. Diane

thanks, Diane! I can't wait!!!

It is really two different experiences. The steakhouse is a great meal. The chefs table is significantly longer, their menu (rather eclectic) and a really unique experience including a tour of the kitchen during first seating.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Do you know how I can, or if I can, make reservations before my cruise? I see where I can make a steakhouse reservation but the Chefs Table is not shown. Do I have to make those reservations after we embark?

Do you know how I can, or if I can, make reservations before my cruise? I see where I can make a steakhouse reservation but the Chefs Table is not shown. Do I have to make those reservations after we embark?

You email the steakhouse for both. That's what we did for our upcoming Legend cruise (28 days!!) we decided to do both since I am celebrating my birthday. I got a confirm for CT telling me we were confirmed and would be notified once on the ship for Faye & time.

• 8 months later...
You email the steakhouse for both. That's what we did for our upcoming Legend cruise (28 days!!) we decided to do both since I am celebrating my birthday. I got a confirm for CT telling me we were confirmed and would be notified once on the ship for Faye & time.

Silly question, but how do you e-mail the steakhouse?

Does anyone know more about the wine that is served? I prefer quality over quantity. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is Carnival mid range wine. I think it is from the mid level of their wine package, but I am not sure.