Family oriented cruise lines.....

A2Mich

Just curious as to why there is a large number of people who knowingly book cruises with cruise lines that target the family demographic, and then having the nerve to complain about the children onboard. And the cruise lines I am referring to would be the likes of Carnival, RCI, NCL, Princess (7 day cruises). Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It does seem ridiculous, doesn't it? If you book on a line that includes families with children as a target audience, then you should expect there to be children onboard. People who cruise the mass market lines (whether it is by preference, itinerary/locations, or budget) and who prefer the fewest number of children onboard should try to book when school is in session. Of course, teachers cannot do that, though honestly I think they probably would prefer to have a break from being surrounded by children every day. In any case, cruising a mass market line means there will be children onboard. It's only okay to complain about it if there are behavior problems (just as it's only okay to complain about adult passengers if they cause problems) or if the catering to children negatively affects other passengers (e.g., not enforcing a rule for venues that are supposed to be adults only).

I do want to point out that the mainstream cruise lines are not "family only" cruise lines. By that I mean that they market to a broadly based demographic, including retired people, young adults, honeymooners (and other romantic special occasions), and so forth. So we could say the cruise lines are also "oriented" for these other groups.

I've written it before and will again, I'm sure: The bottom line when dealing with such a wide range of people is to show mutual respect. I'll respect (and even enjoy seeing) young children having a good time if they and their parents will respect me in return, especially parents taking responsibility for their children's behavior. Parents and children have the right to expect fair treatment from other passengers as well. The same goes for adults relating to each other: just show some respect, stop whining and grumbling about small things, and realize that cruises and life in general are much happier if we don't spend our lives saying "It's all about me, me, me."

beachchick

posting this thread in the "family cruises" forum is sure to generate desirable responses.

Post in a general RCL or Carnival forum with better subject line and watch the fireworks. ;)

I've read tons of those posts already and in some cases, I can understand the frustration - the cases where children are acting out of line/unruly, etc. I was just curious as I also see a number of posts with comments such as "I hope there are no kids..." or "I'm Diamond and don't want to deal with kids because I spent $20,000 on this ridiculously overpriced suite..." and so on. I have a Royal Caribbean and NCL brochure here, and remember the day when Carnival used to print brochures, and every one of their brochures, sure as heck, show FAMILIES, and mention their own CHILDREN'S activities.

I also understand that certain cruisers do want adult only time without children. These same cruise lines also offer adult only areas onboard, but I think a number of these people are really wanting a child-free vacation. I just find it strange that knowing these cruise lines have family cruising clearly in their sights, people have the nerve to complain because there are humans under the retirement age onboard, regardless of their behaviors. For those really wanting a child-free experience, there are other options, such as HAL, Silversea, Crystal, etc that really aren't geared towards the family experience.

Just wondering.....

Archived