Who's been to Suva???

Hi

just wandering if any of u could suggest what to do in suva.

I have had a few people tell me its not a nice port visit and to stay on the boat.

should I stay on ship or what can u advise?

G

dont stay on the ship, if you dont wish to book a tour thru the ship they do have private tours at the dock so you could get something there

Definitely don't stay on the ship. There will be several tours on offer on the wharf. The Fijian people are delightful, and you should go ashore and probably take a tour to experience the Melanesian culture.

Alternatively book a tour through the ship. The tour that is called Jewels of Fiji on P&O is excellent. It involved going by boat up the Navua River (you might get a bit wet), walk through the rainforest and swim in a delightful pool at the base of a waterfall. Back to the boats and race down the rapids to a village where lunch is served and there is singing and a kava ceremony.

Another option (but not as good) would be to take a taxi for a sightseeing tour. Expect to pay AUD$20 per hour or a bit more. Two hours would be sufficient.

If you are interested in handicrafts or souvenirs, I suggest going to the craft market in Suva. When you walk out of the wharf area follow the road to the right and over a small bridge. The market is on the opposite side of the road on the corner of the first side street. It is a low-set block building with a blue roof. There are additional market stalls in the ground floor of the multi-level carpark next door.

You should bargain for any items you want and this is half the fun. Start at one-third of the asking price and expect to pay half. There are beautiful wooden carvings and wooden bowls. Freshwater pearls are also a good buy. Many Aussies have the impression we cannot bring wooden items into Australia. This isn't so. Wooden items have to be declared to Quarantine on arrival in Australia and they will be inspected to see if they carry borers. Before buying any wooden items, inspect them carefully for little holes or even small tacks in places that they are not required to hold two pieces of wood together.

P.S. In all our visits to Suva (probably two dozen visits over 25 years) we have always used AUD and it is accepted everywhere.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Hi

I have had a few people tell me its not a nice port visit and to stay on the boat.

G

We went on carnival spirit in march/ April this year we did the jewel of fiji tour it was the highlight of our cruise hubby and kids (14&10) loved it the waterfall was amazing we were advised to take a tour get out of town

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi

G

Don't stay on the ship, NEVER stay on the ship on a port visit, you paid all that money to see these places. We have done 18 cruises all over the world and never failed to get off the ship even if we were only off for a short time because the port was a dump.

Personally, having been to Suva 3 times since 1970, I am not impressed, crumbling away, dirty. But have a quick look and see if you can get out of town into the country.

Above all, ENJOY !!!

Does the jewels if Fiji tour need you to do a lot of walking? Is it suitable for a 4 year old & a husband with a broken back?

The Jewels of Fiji would be very suitable for your 4yo but I don't think it would be for your husband as I'm fairly sure you have to get in a boat to go up the Navua River. I'll confirm this with my sister tomorrow who did this trip only two weeks ago and see what range of people did the tour with her (i.e range of mobilities)

Does your cruise offer a trip to the Arts Village? It isn't exactly the same thing but it is still a reasonable show of Fijian culture.

The Fijian people absolutely love kids so no matter what you pick to do your little boy will be fussed over.

The Jewels of Fiji would be very suitable for your 4yo but I don't think it would be for your husband as I'm fairly sure you have to get in a boat to go up the Navua River. I'll confirm this with my sister tomorrow who did this trip only two weeks ago and see what range of people did the tour with her (i.e range of mobilities)

Does your cruise offer a trip to the Arts Village? It isn't exactly the same thing but it is still a reasonable show of Fijian culture.

The Fijian people absolutely love kids so no matter what you pick to do your little boy will be fussed over.

Thank you! Looks like hubby will need a rod placed into his back. Cruise is 5 months away 149 days. May need to cancel if he is no better

There are two McDonald's outlets in Suva and has been for the past eight years. My son owns both of them. One is right downtown across the street from ANZ bank; the other is in Nathala Bay, across from the University. Thank you.

Quite a few of the Fijian's we met in January 2009 (we were in Fiji for a month) referred to McDonald's as the "American Embassies" :D

Re Suva..beware ! I recollect on my last visit to Suva in 2007 on Regal Princess. On leaving the port gate we were approached by a smart looking bloke wearing a brown suit with some sort of govt ID displayed. He bailed us up and said he was from the tourist bureau and was going to 'look after us.' Well he pestered us, wanted to take us to a good jewellery shop, a good mens suit shop..'Get your suit made in two hours sir.' I got sick of this pest and said to him. 'Can you take me to Police HQ, I am one of those in Australia, I would like a tour of the police station.' Well he just looked horrified and did the bolt. So beware of SCAMMERS like this. A fraud he was of course.

During the day I did go to the police station at Suva Police HQ for a look around and was told by one of the officers there are plenty of scammers around the port waiting for cruise pax and purporting to be officials, like the one I encountered, just after their commissions at the various businesses.

Edited by NSWP

There was a lady solo traveller on our cruise who was kidnapped by a taxi driver in Suva and told to pay a lot of money before they let her go. That story scared us a little so we only go with ship organised tours in suva now.

I'm sure this would have been a very isolated incident. I can assure you that the Fiji police would have been on to this if it was reported.

On one of our cruises, two ladies got out of their taxi to take photos outside Government House, leaving a handbag on the back seat. When they returned to the ship, their money was missing. They had taken a photograph of the taxi with the friendly smiling taxi driver beside his cab. The ship security called the police who took down the taxi registration number from the photograph. I would not have liked to have been that taxi driver when the police interviewed him. Fiji relies on its tourism and they cannot afford negative reports.

We have been to Suva many times (probably in excess of 25 times in 29 years) and I don't think you should be concerned about your safety when touring with companies selling tours on the dock or going in a taxi. When walking around town, just take normal precautions with your wallets and purses.

• 2 weeks later...
So many handy hints regarding Suva, so thanks to all :D We visit on Sea Princess in March, & i would like to do the Jewel of Fiji tour, Princess doesnt have a tour called this, so will have to make sure i find the right one.

I just had a look at doing this tour privately & it doesnt seem to get back to the ship on time, so that could be a bit of a problem;) One got back at 5pm & another 6pm:eek:

There are two McDonald's outlets in Suva and has been for the past eight years. My son owns both of them. One is right downtown across the street from ANZ bank; the other is in Nathala Bay, across from the University. Thank you.

I stand corrected. In todays' globalised world no reason the fijians should miss the opportunity of corporate poisoning.

With the taxi kidnapping, I find that really hard to believe post 2006 as no one wants a trip to the QEB Suva.

The scammers are still there, but there is so much to do and see.

The was also a few KFC's in Suva (used to be a Kentuky Fried Chicken many years ago too) but they wouldn't reveal their secret ingredients to the health department and got the boot a few years ago.

Have a look at the museum, the gardens, trip to Pacific Harbour.