Hotels in Auckland and Sydney

PennyB

Hello all !

My DB and I are cruising on Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Sydney in December. We will be arriving a few days prior and staying 2 days after. Any suggestions for hotels? As with most people budget is a concern, but a bigger concern is location ! We want to be near major attractions. While on that, any suggestions as to what to see? Thanks so much ! :p

Hello all !

My DB and I are cruising on Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Sydney in December. We will be arriving a few days prior and staying 2 days after. Any suggestions for hotels? As with most people budget is a concern, but a bigger concern is location ! We want to be near major attractions. While on that, any suggestions as to what to see? Thanks so much ! :p

The Hilton Auckland is right on Princes Wharf. I'm looking at booking a day stay there before an evening flight. I think you can get nightly rates for $280. Worth checking.

In Sydney, what is your budget? Circular Quay hotels are likely to be off your list. The Four Seasons, Intercontinental, Shang-ri-la and Grand Hyatt are all $400 + a night.

Other choices might include The Mariott, Sydney Hilton (in the CBD), QT (right across from Town Hall and a 15 min walk to Circular Quay, or 5 mins on the train) ... these are all $300 + a night category.

If you are looking for semi-budget accommodation that is clean and adequate, try Y Hotel on Hyde Park in the CBD. You can normally get a room with ensuite for $150 a night. They have an excellent booking website. Just make sure you select Y Hotel Hyde Park.

I'd advise you steer clear of Darling Harbour for accommodation unless you are docking at White Bay.

http://www.yhotel.com.au/content/hydeparkrooms.htm?page=budget+hotels+sydney+hyde+park

Here are some photos of the rooms at the Y Hyde Park.

A mid December dummy booking shows rates for a double bed with ensuite coming in between $149 and $179 a night.

I'm sure you can look up some reviews for this hotel and others on that famous travel advisory website (I don't think I'm allowed to name it here).

I think budget needs to be more laid out there...someone's budget concerns can be $500/night, and another person's can be $50/night.

In Sydney, I love the Marriott Circular Quay. Great location, nice rooms.

In Auckland, the Hilton is fantastic and I love it with all my heart.

Stayed at the Grace thi past spring for 2-2 night stays. Great hotel, staff and location.

I made the booking, then watched for specials and deals right up until we left. We were able to get great rates (as far s we were concerned ~$300 per night) which included breakfast, internet, taxes, surcharges etc. And they kept our luggage between stays

In Auckland , the Copthorne Harbour City is ,Location , Location ,Location plus. Its just across the road from the Hilton. Sure its dated and a little bit tired, but clean, comfortable and below the Hilton price tag.

Another in that immediate area is the Mercure Auckland.Its just around the corner.

I'm a big fan of the Sydney Harbour B&B which has a great location in The Rocks. The rooms with shared bath (shared with only one other room) cost around AUD 165 - 175. The ensuite rooms or rooms with exclusive bathrooms cost around AUD 240.

Archived