flying out of FCO at 15:15

lorif

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for using the time on our fly out day. Our check out is before 10am and it is an apartment, so no desk to leave luggage at. Our flight time out changed from 10am to 3:15pm. So, we will have our luggage, and I had booked a transfer to the airport with Romeinlimo (which I will change), don't want to just head to the airport for the extra time.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What would work for time and luggage?

Thanks,

Lori

A couple of thoughts:

1) Have you asked the apartment owner if it would be possible to have a later checkout? You're probably going to want to head to the airport around 12:15 or 12:30 at latest. Maybe you could arrange a noon checkout if they will allow it. Then you could spend a full morning doing something on your own in Rome.

2) You could utilize RIL to do something from the time you have to checkout until you go to the airport. It's not clear from your post how long you will be in Rome and what you have planned. But you could easily go to Ostia Antica and spend 2-3 hours, which is near FCO and not out of the way. You'll end up paying a lot more, though, for the extra time.

3) Instead of using RIL, you could use the train to get yourselves to the airport. There is a luggage storage facility at Termini station. You could get yourselves there, store your luggage, then have a couple of hours to do something in the vicinity (I can highly recommend the Museum nearby, the Museo Na*ionale Romano Palazzo Massimo if you are a fan of ancient Rome -- the mosaics and frescoes are incredible.) before taking the train to FCO.

Well I travel with just a 21 inch roll on and a tote so luggage is not a real issue for me or my family who also travel the same way. I would leave the apt at 10 and wheel my stuff with the tote over the luggage for compactness to the nearest cafe or piazza where I would either have cappuccino and pastry or just people watch. Our apt was 1 block from the piazza del popolo on the via Ripetta so that would have been my play if I were in your situation. Romecabs would have been scheduled for noon and I would have just walked the block back to the apt. It was not by chance that we were staying near this piazza We stayed there due to its location and thru research.

Thanks Cruisemom,

I have sent off an email to ask about a later checkout - that would be the best solution. We are visiting Ostia Antica on our way into Rome from the port, and then a couple of days in Rome. That is the kind of thing I was wondering about, before being in an airport and plane for such a long time it would be nice to be outside (if it is not raining I guess).

I will see what happens with the check out time.

Thanks, Lori

If your landlord doesn't have new tenants arriving the day you leave they may be very willing to delay your checkout. If they do, you could still ask if you can leave your luggage there while the apartment is being cleaned before the next folks arrive. You'd be ready to leave long before the typical check-in time, so this may be a fallback option for you.

Well, you were both correct, we will be able to have a later check out time as right now there is no one going into the apartment the same day. Now we have a few extra hours to enjoy in Rome.

Sounds like a plan but you didn't say in your posts exactly what date you check out. Things could change so I would still have plan b at the ready. I say go for cappuccino if all else fails and stick to manageable luggage. The sky isn't falling and you are basically talking about a less than 2 hour window before you leave for fco anyway

Archived