Cabin confusion on Eclipse

NoobCruise

So we're getting ready to book, hopefully tomorrow. Yay! We're looking at the 14 day southern caribbean cruise on the Eclipse in Dec 2014. I'm trying to narrow our choices down between concierge class and aqua class. Am I right that the cabins are basically the same size and layout?

What benefits does aqua have over concierge in addition to Blu access and access to the Persian Garden. Do they have better beds and pillows? Is Blu worth the extra $$$? If we take the aqua class can we still eat in the MDR?

Out of the concierge cabins and aqua class cabins, which would you take?

If you don't plan to dine in Blu there is no reason to book an AQ cabin. We love Blu, but wouldn't book AQ if the price was much higher than CC or regular veranda cabin.

Amenities in Aqua are minor, other than Blu. You should also pay attention to location of the AQ, many are in less desirable locations - at least for me. I like a near midship location.

We enjoyed our AQ and Blu this summer for our 14 day Baltic cruise! but cost differential was less than $200 per person.

Hope that helps.

The rooms are the same layout. Some AQ rooms are under the deck overhang (shade) which may be good for you or not if you want more/less sun. Some AQ rooms are under the gym and pool area...can have noise.

The shower in AQ is better, toiletries are upgraded and you get some bottled water each day in AQ rooms. There is a relaxation room (shared with Spa waiting room). This is convenient If your room is far forward.

The full list of extras is on the Celebrity website.

What is the extra $$$ per day? Hard to say without a actual cash amount.

For me - I would pay up to $15-$20 per person/day approx.

So if the extra is $50 pp/pday...too much for me.

For the right price, we take AQ. You can also request access to the MDR and they will advise either to use Select or Traditional based upon demand on that sailing.

But if you want Blu for breakfast only, MDR each evening the extra $$$ would have to be $5 pp/pd to make sense.

The cabins are exactly the same shape and size as standard, deluxe and concierge. It is mainly the amenities you receive which are: special check in line, the, tea and/or water in the cabin each day, nicer robes, towels, daily canapés, a sailaway bottle of wine or champagne and an Aqua bag that should have such things as lip balm etc. Aqua also does have a better shower with the fancy head and water system.

The key thing, as someone else has mentioned, is location. On the S class ships many of the Aqua cabins are forward and directly below the health spa and more importantly, on the starboard side, under the gym's treadmills. I had friends who spent an entire trans atlantic crossing awakening to the pounding of the treadmills directly above them. On the port side the health spa treatment rooms do not make any noise and are okay. However you will have the overhang and also possibly some noise from the solarium during the day.

Bottom line is the big attractions are Blu, and relaxation room/Persian Garden access. An all access pass to the relaxation room and Persian Gardens run roughly $100+ depending on the voyage length.

You asked about pillows...all passengers, regardless of class, can ask their stateroom attendant a pillow menu which have a variety of options.

Concierge all you really get is some fancier robes, the daily cheese or canapé, sailaway wine, fancier towels, and daily body wash.

If we were traveling by ourselves we would pay probably up to $100-$150 more for Aqua but since we travel with a group who usually do not go beyond regular verandah or Concierge we have not done Aqua because they would not have access to Blu.

Hope this helps.

and in response to the OP question about which cabins, on the Eclipse I would for the concierge hump balconies - you still get the nice robes and footstools on the double width balconies - so 1122/1124 etc. Only a few steps to the central elevator, 2 flights upto the pool and 3 to the buffet. Great location.

If you like sun I would book rooms 2101,2103,2102,2104. If you want shade book 2105,2107,2109,2111,2106,2108,2110,2112. They are all C2 cabins on deck 12. You walk right out to the pool and up one deck for food. Richard

We think Concierge is not worth much (perhaps a few dollars a day) over a normal veranda cabin (they are the same size). As to Aqua Class, its all about Blu. If you like Blu (we do) then Aqua is worth something.......We will only book an AQ if the cost is less then $25 a day more then a decent veranda cabin. Otherwise, we would book a normal veranda and use the savings (over Aqua) to eat in a few alternative restaurants. We would add that in our opinion, the more expensive AQ1 cabins have some of the worst locations of any veranda cabin on the ship. Most of these are located just below the huge overhang (from the pool deck) not to mention being underneath the pool deck where you can get noise from moving chairs. We think that being just under that overhang is like having a veranda in a cave..where you can see out of the entrance. When booking Aqua we always opt for the cheaper AQ2 cabins and either take one that is located towards the aft (with a passenger deck overhead) or far forward away from the wide overhang.

Hank

Archived