Concierge Question?

Disneycruiser99

I have to say that I've never been a suite pax and after reading this thread I'm really not sure I want to be. I was so looking forward to being in a suite for our anniversary cruise next year but I'm afraid my bubble has been burst and I think I may just forego the suite life and just go with the mini suite. Between this issue and the concierge/butler issues I've been reading about, we may be better off looking after ourselves with the helpful and wonderful stewards.

Very disappointing. We'll wait and see though, we still have lots of time to decide.

How are you disappointed? It sounds like your anniversary suite cruise is something you looked forward to.

I work very hard and pinch pennies to treat myself to a wonderful cruise each year with my mom. It hurts my feelings that you quoted me like I was some kind of bully or snob. Actually, my answer you quoted was a little sarcastic. If I was on a computer and not my iphone I would have added a winking emoticon.

For the record do you think suite perks should be extended to those that did not pay for them and if so, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

How are you disappointed? It sounds like your anniversary suite cruise is something you looked forward to.

I work very hard and pinch pennies to treat myself to a wonderful cruise each year with my mom. It hurts my feelings that you quoted me like I was some kind of bully or snob. Actually, my answer you quoted was a little sarcastic. If I was on a computer and not my iphone I would have added a winking emoticon.

For the record do you think suite perks should be extended to those that did not pay for them and if so, why?

I'm sorry if you felt offended that was not my intent only my feeling that there are many reasons that perhaps a suite is not all it's cracked up to be. I am fairly new to cruising and fairly new to this site as well. I've read many posts regarding concierge and butlers who aren't up to snuff and levels of tipping depending on their level of service. This idea of being able to get suite perks by paying bribes is ludicrous but it seems the only person who can stop it is the very person who most benefits from it. If you pay thousands of dollars for a suite, why should you have to pay for a service which is included? I understand about the tipping but to actually provide their salary? That I don't understand.

So, I'm sorry that you are hurt, please don't allow me or anyone else to hurt you, you work hard and deserve your perks and no, I'm sure you're not a snob and neither am I.

As I've said, there's still lots of time to decide... more than a year.

Does that ever happen? Has anyone ever had to wait for a table at Cagneys. I figured it is always kind of empty but have no experience.

Yes, on my Canary Islands cruise on the Jade, Cagney's was packed every morning at breakfast. We had to wait for a table twice during the 9-day cruise, and a third day they had to open an overflow area (in the Star Bar, if I remember correctly) to accommodate everyone.

Personally, I have no problem letting the occasional non-suite guest accompany a suite guest to meals at Cagney's on a limited basis, but only when Cagney's has tables to spare.

I have to say that I've never been a suite pax and after reading this thread I'm really not sure I want to be. I was so looking forward to being in a suite for our anniversary cruise next year but I'm afraid my bubble has been burst and I think I may just forego the suite life and just go with the mini suite. Between this issue and the concierge/butler issues I've been reading about, we may be better off looking after ourselves with the helpful and wonderful stewards.

Very disappointing. We'll wait and see though, we still have lots of time to decide.

If you are talking about stiffing some people, yes go with the mini....btw, they all get much if not most of their compensation from the tipping pool, so hopefully you won't try to get that off your account. Everyone has a different attitude. Fortunately we have enjoyed excellent hotels and other accommodations enough to know that you really should treat the staff with courtesy knowing they aren't servants. Also, $20 won't buy you into much without having paid for it on the ship.....

I'm sorry if you felt offended that was not my intent only my feeling that there are many reasons that perhaps a suite is not all it's cracked up to be. I am fairly new to cruising and fairly new to this site as well. I've read many posts regarding concierge and butlers who aren't up to snuff and levels of tipping depending on their level of service. This idea of being able to get suite perks by paying bribes is ludicrous but it seems the only person who can stop it is the very person who most benefits from it. If you pay thousands of dollars for a suite, why should you have to pay for a service which is included? I understand about the tipping but to actually provide their salary? That I don't understand.

So, I'm sorry that you are hurt, please don't allow me or anyone else to hurt you, you work hard and deserve your perks and no, I'm sure you're not a snob and neither am I.

As I've said, there's still lots of time to decide... more than a year.

Thanks for your reply. I hope you decide to book the suite and give it a try. Maybe all that comes with it won't appeal to you but some might and those things can make it more special for you.

When it comes to non-suite Cagney requests, some people live by the creed, nothing weaseled, nothing gained.

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel. " - H. Simpson.

My husband and I are booked in a suite on the Sun and my teenage daughter and her friend will be in an inside. Technically, my daughter and I are booked in the suite and the other two are in the inside because the girls are under 21 but, my husband and I will utilize the perks as if we were the ones staying in the suite (which we have done on previous cruises and I assume is okay). We could have booked all of us in the suite and saved a bit of money but we don't want to be on top of each other.

We have seldom used the Cagney's perk on other cruises and the teenagers won't be upset at missing out on this perk. I did recently read a suggestion that we could order room service ahead of time,from the Cagney's menu, for the four of us. I thought this might be useful on port days and was wondering if that is acceptable?

My husband and I are booked in a suite on the Sun and my teenage daughter and her friend will be in an inside. Technically, my daughter and I are booked in the suite and the other two are in the inside because the girls are under 21 but, my husband and I will utilize the perks as if we were the ones staying in the suite (which we have done on previous cruises and I assume is okay). We could have booked all of us in the suite and saved a bit of money but we don't want to be on top of each other.

We have seldom used the Cagney's perk on other cruises and the teenagers won't be upset at missing out on this perk. I did recently read a suggestion that we could order room service ahead of time,from the Cagney's menu, for the four of us. I thought this might be useful on port days and was wondering if that is acceptable?

So two of your party are not in a suite, but you want some of the perks for four. If it's OK with NCL that's great. Your butler will appreciate a larger tip for serving 4 instead of 2.

My husband and daughter will be sailing on the Dawn in December and I was wondering if the Menu at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is different than the other restaurants on the ship.

My husband and daughter will be sailing on the Dawn in December and I was wondering if the Menu at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is different than the other restaurants on the ship.

Yes it is. The breakfast and lunch are substantially better (most believe) than other venues on the ship. Hence it's popularity.

I think to make blanket statements without knowing specific situations leads to polarizing view points often without an understanding of the individual or family situation. On our next cruise we are traveling as a group of 7. Specifically as a joint blended family. DH and I and our daughter plus DH's two older children from his first marriage and his ex-wife and her husband. Originally both families were booked in suites now DH and I are in the DOS with our daughter and one of the older children while the other older child is now in a mini suite with DH's ex and her husband.

As a special treat to my step children I am planning on requesting that we be allowed to board together and have lunch on the first day as a party of 7. This is a one time only request and not a pattern for the rest of the cruise.

As a blended family we have worked very hard over the past seven years to get to the point of taking this once in a lifetime trip together. The adults are working together for the benefit of the children. If I need to pay the specialty restaurant fee for our guests I absolutely would! My personality would also address this before the cruise or at the port and if there was a line I would wait for others to be serviced before addressing my special request.

I think to make blanket statements without knowing specific situations leads to polarizing view points often without an understanding of the individual or family situation. On our next cruise we are traveling as a group of 7. Specifically as a joint blended family. DH and I and our daughter plus DH's two older children from his first marriage and his ex-wife and her husband. Originally both families were booked in suites now DH and I are in the DOS with our daughter and one of the older children while the other older child is now in a mini suite with DH's ex and her husband.

As a special treat to my step children I am planning on requesting that we be allowed to board together and have lunch on the first day as a party of 7. This is a one time only request and not a pattern for the rest of the cruise.

As a blended family we have worked very hard over the past seven years to get to the point of taking this once in a lifetime trip together. The adults are working together for the benefit of the children. If I need to pay the specialty restaurant fee for our guests I absolutely would! My personality would also address this before the cruise or at the port and if there was a line I would wait for others to be serviced before addressing my special request.

I seriously doubt it. You would be asking to take three additional (non-suite) guests to Cagney's on what is undeniably the busiest day of the cruise. Cagney's is the first place suite passengers go to upon boarding.

As has been said here previously, I would be a little upset if I had to wait for a table due to non-suite pax being served. And no, there is no means of paying extra.

I would suggest that you all go to the MDR and request a large table near the windows.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It will depend on the Concierge but I bet they will absolutely accommodate you. We had a family reunion on the Dawn in January and booked 3 SCs and another family I met at Cagney's had booked an SC and a Mini. The mini guests joined them several times in Cagney's. Obviously, if this became the norm it would become a problem but exceptions are made and I don't imagine that this happens that often. I really don't think you'll have a problem. Happy sailing.

Cagney's for everyone might be a stretch on embarkation day. Serving hours are limited, and, as previously mentioned, all suite passengers head there as soon as they board, so in my experience it's always pretty crowded for lunch on that first day. Last time, we boarded at 1 p.m. and there was a wait for tables.

I will add to the chorus of people speculating that you will be unable to have your entire group dine in Cagneys at boarding. It is very busy, and they are working hard to just accommodate the actual suite passengers.

I was on the Star this year, and we boarded through the Suite priority boarding process with another couple who were not in a suite. We were taken straight up to the Star Bar to meet the concierge, and one of the first things out of his mouth was the fact that the Cagney's lunch had to be limited to just suite passengers.

Having said this, we WERE able to invite our non-suite travelling companions to Cagney's for lunch later in the cruise. We did not solicit the invitation, it was a nice gesture on behalf of the Cagney's manager, who we got to know.

On embarkation day our duite venue was full

With ALL the suite pax and the concierge addressed us all. It was actually a holding pattern until rooms were ready. It was full.

Which suite pax should be entitled to bring guests? All? None? What is fair?

Cagney's the first day for that many extra guests most likely will not happen. First day on the Star earlier this month they were asking suite guests to share tables. As posted before it becomes a holding area until the suites are ready so nobody leaves early. You could have the concierge reserve a table in the main dining room for the whole family.

Cagney's the first day for that many extra guests most likely will not happen. First day on the Star earlier this month they were asking suite guests to share tables. As posted before it becomes a holding area until the suites are ready so nobody leaves early. You could have the concierge reserve a table in the main dining room for the whole family.

Thank you! I have not experienced that on the Sky. And will keep that in mind, maybe Ask if we can board together and then have lunch in main dinning room together.

Thank you! I have not experienced that on the Sky. And will keep that in mind, maybe Ask if we can board together and then have lunch in main dinning room together.

I don't think you'll have any problem with your entire group checking in and boarding together. Getting a large table together in the MDR is a good idea.

Keep in mind the Sky like the Sun has far fewer suites. Before they added all the new suites where the old Spinnakers was the Dawn would not have been a problem. With 22 new suites ( I think that is the number) Cagney's is packed breakfast and lunch except port days for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

It was not an issue for us. We were in a Family suite and my parents were in a mini-suite that connected to our Fam Suite (the Amber Suite 11530 on the Jewel). Our passenger records were linked (make sure you do that) and they knew we were traveling together. We all checked in together, we all boarded together and we all ate at Cagneys together. John D'Sousa the concierge treated us all as if we were all in the suite together. I didn't even ask if my parents could eat with us and they just escorted us all to Cagneys.:)

Do not stress about that. It MAY depend on the concierge, but we were treated like celebrities and I never felt like I was asking a favor that could not be accommodated. I also didn't ask for too much either. After we got to our state rooms and the connecting door was open, we didn't ask for much for my parents. We ordered in-room breakfast 2 mornings and our Butler asked if he could bring something for my parents. That was nice of him and yes my parents did ask for some eggs and sausage.

I made reservations at Azura that night for all 7 of us the first night (it was really busy since we left port late) and it was DONE!

I really stressed over this part of the cruise before hand. My advice to you - don't stress. It will all be fine. Oh but do have NCL link all your passenger records.;)

It was not an issue for us. We were in a Family suite and my parents were in a mini-suite that connected to our Fam Suite (the Amber Suite 11530 on the Jewel). Our passenger records were linked (make sure you do that) and they knew we were traveling together. We all checked in together, we all boarded together and we all ate at Cagneys together. John D'Sousa the concierge treated us all as if we were all in the suite together. I didn't even ask if my parents could eat with us and they just escorted us all to Cagneys.:)

Do not stress about that. It MAY depend on the concierge, but we were treated like celebrities and I never felt like I was asking a favor that could not be accommodated. I also didn't ask for too much either. After we got to our state rooms and the connecting door was open, we didn't ask for much for my parents. We ordered in-room breakfast 2 mornings and our Butler asked if he could bring something for my parents. That was nice of him and yes my parents did ask for some eggs and sausage.

I made reservations at Azura that night for all 7 of us the first night (it was really busy since we left port late) and it was DONE!

I really stressed over this part of the cruise before hand. My advice to you - don't stress. It will all be fine. Oh but do have NCL link all your passenger records.;)

What happens is that people come on CC and read posts like yours and some expect it. It sounds like the OP has the right attitude that if it doesn't happen that's fine. I think you were too.

The only way to guarantee perks for ALL is for ALL to get suites. I would never second guess a NCL concierge, but they aren't all alike, some are stricter. It would be nice if it was consistent. But I think there are variables that make it more case by case based on many factors.

On the Epic, you can pay $25/person for non-Haven guests to dine in the Epic Club. I read that recently on something from NCL.

My husband and I are staying in the Haven. Paying the fee is the only way I would expect the people who are cruising with us but not staying in the Haven to be able to eat in the Haven-only establishments.

If I was going to ask for our special perks to be extended to them, it would be more along the lines of asking the concierge to include them in our dinner reservations at a specialty restaurant.

Archived