Which Ship- Liberty or Sunshine

Supercrossfox21

Trying to decide which ship- Liberty (like the ports) or Sunshine (brand new ship)

Itinerary for Liberty- 8 day

Tortola, St. Maarten, San Juan, and Grand Turks (Never been to tortola and grand turks and less common ports on cruise ships)

3 sea days

No trundle bed- only pull down, which I would end up sleeping on :(

Sunshine- been to 3 of the 4 ports

newer ship with water slide,

Also this ship has a trundle bed they roll in to room vs. a pull down on the Liberty

It will be me, husband, and 5 yr old daughter. Camp carnival for her isn't a big deal bc she won't go. Pools/Water area very important!

Don't know if ship is important or Ports (as they are all good ports). Same price and time of year.

Just want to know if Liberty is a nice ship (just got off Disney Fantasy, but have been on the Valor, Destiny (no sunshine), and splendor) and enough water areas for her to play in.

I loved loved loved the Liberty, but if water activities are important than I'd go Sunshine. Although there is a water slide on the Liberty, there is no splash park or small water slides for the younger kids. But I'd prefer the Liberty ports over Sunshine's.

Side bar question, why would you end up sleeping on the trundle as opposed to your daughter?

I loved loved loved the Liberty, but if water activities are important than I'd go Sunshine. Although there is a water slide on the Liberty, there is no splash park or small water slides for the younger kids. But I'd prefer the Liberty ports over Sunshine's.

Side bar question, why would you end up sleeping on the trundle as opposed to your daughter?

Oh when we go on vacation she usually ends up in bed with us. I think its being in an unusual place that she feels more comfortable being in bed with us. I dont think I could manage 8 days with us all in the same bed. So I'd probably be the one to get fed up and move to the top. But maybe in a yr she will be ok.

I was told the liberty had a splash area for the kids, it doesnt? I know when we where on the splendor there was a water area for kids but she was still in diapers at the time and couldnt go in it.

Trying to decide which ship- Liberty (like the ports) or Sunshine (brand new ship)

Tortola, St. Maarten, San Juan, and Grand Turks (Never been to tortola and grand turks and less common ports on cruise ships)

3 sea days

Also this ship has a trundle bed they roll in to room vs. a pull down on the Liberty

It will be me, husband, and 5 yr old daughter. Camp carnival for her isn't a big deal bc she won't go. Pools/Water area very important!

Don't know if ship is important or Ports (as they are all good ports). Same price and time of year.

Just want to know if Liberty is a nice ship (just got off Disney Fantasy, but have been on the Valor, Destiny (no sunshine), and splendor) and enough water areas for her to play in.

Choose the sunshine. Best waterworks at sea! All of the upgrades also. Liberty is also a nice ship, but the sunshine would suit you and your families needs better

3 sea days

Um, you do realize that the Sunshine is not a "brand new ship," don't you? The Carnival Sunshine was built in 1996 as the Carnival Destiny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Um, you do realize that the Sunshine is not a "brand new ship," don't you? The Carnival Sunshine was built in 1996 as the Carnival Destiny

Yes I know. We were on the Destiny in 2008 and actually disliked the ship. But I know its been redone and a lot of people say its a totally different ship. When is "overhauled" I consider it a new ship.

Yes I know. We were on the Destiny in 2008 and actually disliked the ship. But I know its been redone and a lot of people say its a totally different ship. When is "overhauled" I consider it a new ship.

Ok. As long as you know. For quite a while, Carnival was advertising her as "NEW." Which is, obviously, not the case. Kind of like buying a 20 year old car and calling it NEW because is has new fabric and a new paint job.

What did you not like about Destiny? Many people felt that it was a crowded ship, and Sunshine will likely be more crowded, as there are more people & less public space on board. If they are able to spread the crowds out better (or if more people just stay in their rooms all the time), it wouldn't be more crowded, but when the ship comes here to sail the Caribbean, we'll find out if this is the case or not. But to be fair, many people don't mind the crowds, or they even enjoy the crowds.

I think that you would probably enjoy the Liberty more, but your daughter will probably enjoy Sunshine more. The one thing I've got to give Sunshine is that she's got a great waterpark. They also have a ropes course. I disagree with the post saying that Sunshine has the best waterpark at sea. I think that the Breeze & Magic is better. Plus, NCLs Breakaway & Getaway look like they'll be better than anything Carnival has. Getting back on track here, Liberty has 3 pools (the aft one I think is for adults only) & Sunshine only has 2, one of which is a tiny mini-pool in the adults serenity area. Liberty will have 2 pools nearby the waterslide. Sunshine's 1 pool for kids is a long ways away from the waterworks area. So it is a tough call. I'm basically a big kid, so I would take great waterslides over an extra pool. You will know which one is more important for your family.

Also, for Liberty, if you book an oceanview room or balcony, the 3rd person will most likely be sleeping in a sofabed instead of an upper bunk. That's what is so nice about these newer ships on Carnival. You wouldn't have to climb up high if you book an OV or balcony. Same is true for Sunshine, although it would give the added option of a trundle for the interiors.

3 sea days

Save the waterpark for a day trip. There's only one pool on the old Destiny now.

Also, would go with the newer ship: Liberty. She is a sister to the Valor.

Oh when we go on vacation she usually ends up in bed with us. I think its being in an unusual place that she feels more comfortable being in bed with us. I dont think I could manage 8 days with us all in the same bed. So I'd probably be the one to get fed up and move to the top. But maybe in a yr she will be ok.

I was told the liberty had a splash area for the kids, it doesnt? I know when we where on the splendor there was a water area for kids but she was still in diapers at the time and couldnt go in it.

I don't recall seeing a splash park, but in all honestly I wasn't really looking it was just my DH and I. I didn't think there was other than the area around camp carnival. The ship really was great, the staff was excellent, really went above and beyond.

3 sea days

I would definitely go with the Sunshine because their Waterworks area is the best in the fleet...your daughter would definitely enjoy that.

And as someone who has slept on a pull down bed trust me it is no fun :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You will enjoy the ship no matter which one you choose :)

I would definitely go with the Sunshine because their Waterworks area is the best in the fleet...your daughter would definitely enjoy that.

And as someone who has slept on a pull down bed trust me it is no fun :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You will enjoy the ship no matter which one you choose :)

Do you know if its possible if that upper pull down mattress could be pulled down and put on the floor by my husband? Im sure they wouldn't like it but do you think its possible.

Do you know if its possible if that upper pull down mattress could be pulled down and put on the floor by my husband? Im sure they wouldn't like it but do you think its possible.

I suppose it's possible but it wouldn't be comfortable for anyone and it would be difficult to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night because it wouldn't leave you much floor space with the extra mattress in the way

Of all the Carnival cruises we've taken, Liberty has been the best, twice. The ship has one of the nicest decor in the entire fleet with its European artists inspired theme, rich woods, iron, Murano chandeliers, and art work specifically commissioned for this ship. Harry's Steakhouse is, to this day, the best alternative restaurant we've experienced on any cruise (including those on other cruise lines). The itinerary on the Liberty is FAR superior to the ones offered on the Sunshine (and an extra day is always a welcome plus!)

Are you planning on an inside stateroom? Those won't have a trundle, on Liberty, but on oceanview staterooms and above, you will have a sofa that converts to a twin bed. Much better than the trundle on older Carnival ships.

As others have said, the Waterworks on the Sunshine may be the biggest of all Carnival ships, but I wouldn't sacrifice other things in order to have a Waterworks. It's not a part of the ship where we would spend enough time to consider it a deciding factor. Sunshine may have been "refurbished" and prettied up, but it's still the 17 year old Destiny with less public spaces and more cabins.

Edited by Tapi

I guess what I said earlier must have been missed somehow. The Liberty's oceanview and balcony rooms will have a sofabed for the 3rd person, not an upper bunk. I was wrong on one point: only a small number of Sunshine's balcony rooms are like that, as most use an upper for the 3rd for some crazy reason, plus the trundle option. Sunshine's OVs use the sofabed for the 3rd. The sofabed is much better than a trundle. If you are going with an inside room, then it will be upper bunks for the 3rd. OV rooms are often not much more expensive than interiors, plus it gives you a TON more space, so I would recommend for you to go with an OV or balcony, whichever ship you choose. If you are thinking Sunshine in a balcony, try to get one of the few that have a sofabed instead of an upper for the 3rd. The OV on either ship or a balcony on Liberty will give you a sofabed for the 3rd. Trust me, the sofabed is better than a trundle.

Also, regarding the waterworks on Sunshine, based on pics I've seen, Breeze's & Magic's is definitely much better. Sunshine has 3 slides, but 2 are identical, so only 2 different ones, just like Breeze & Magic. Sunshine doesn't look like it has anywhere near the kind or size of splash factory that Magic & Breeze has. The kids that are too short for the big slides always have a great time in the splash factory. Sunshine still looks great, but Breeze & Magic have it beat. Sunshine has Liberty beat easily on the waterpark, while Liberty has Sunshine beat on the pools.

Edited by k2excursion

We debated that same for our Jan cruise.

We loved Liberty but also enjoyed Destiny. I think why we loved Lib so much was Butch made it the most enjoyable cruise I have ever been on. If I was to sail her again I might not have the same experience.

We liked Lib's ports way better than the Sunshine. I like Lib was Sat-Sat vs Sun-Sun. The price was more for Sunshine.

We still decided to pay more for Sunshine which had a few more things over the Lib on the ship that appealed to my 13 year old. We are getting less of a trip as far as ports go ( my opinion). But I am super excited to be on a revamped ( I wont say new) ship.

Also we love NOLA and flights there cost less than Mia which about equaled out the cost of the cruise difference.

I guess what I said earlier must have been missed somehow. The Liberty's oceanview and balcony rooms will have a sofabed for the 3rd person, not an upper bunk. I was wrong on one point: only a small number of Sunshine's balcony rooms are like that, as most use an upper for the 3rd for some crazy reason, plus the trundle option. Sunshine's OVs use the sofabed for the 3rd. The sofabed is much better than a trundle. If you are going with an inside room, then it will be upper bunks for the 3rd. OV rooms are often not much more expensive than interiors, plus it gives you a TON more space, so I would recommend for you to go with an OV or balcony, whichever ship you choose. If you are thinking Sunshine in a balcony, try to get one of the few that have a sofabed instead of an upper for the 3rd. The OV on either ship or a balcony on Liberty will give you a sofabed for the 3rd. Trust me, the sofabed is better than a trundle.

Also, regarding the waterworks on Sunshine, based on pics I've seen, Breeze's & Magic's is definitely much better. Sunshine has 3 slides, but 2 are identical, so only 2 different ones, just like Breeze & Magic. Sunshine doesn't look like it has anywhere near the kind or size of splash factory that Magic & Breeze has. The kids that are too short for the big slides always have a great time in the splash factory. Sunshine still looks great, but Breeze & Magic have it beat. Sunshine has Liberty beat easily on the waterpark, while Liberty has Sunshine beat on the pools.

We ended up going with the liberty. Better ports that we havent been to and read the sunshine is still crowded like it was when it was the destiny. And that was one if the things we did not like abt the destiny. Had to go with an interior room and there is no option for a sofa bed or roll away in there. Although ov is only abt $400 or so more it was over our budget as we are having to actually buy airfare this time (usually use miles or points) so it ate up a huge portion of our money. And would rather have spending money than an ov room with a sofa. Will somehow find a way to deal with the pull down bed. Hoping by then daughter will think its fun to sleep up there. Not holding my breath on that one but it is a yr away so you never know with kids :)

Edited by Supercrossfox21

I would choose the Liberty, the Sunshine hasn’t been tested yet in the Caribbean with the younger crowds. That the ship being crowded with all the new cabins and the sea days. People already say hard to get seats in the small theater now while she’s in Europe ,what is that telling you

We ended up going with the liberty. Better ports that we havent been to and read the sunshine is still crowded like it was when it was the destiny. And that was one if the things we did not like abt the destiny. Had to go with an interior room and there is no option for a sofa bed or roll away in there. Although ov is only abt $400 or so more it was over our budget as we are having to actually buy airfare this time (usually use miles or points) so it ate up a huge portion of our money. And would rather have spending money than an ov room with a sofa. Will somehow find a way to deal with the pull down bed. Hoping by then daughter will think its fun to sleep up there. Not holding my breath on that one but it is a yr away so you never know with kids :)

I'm sure you'll have a great time. That is a much bigger price difference than I would've thought. Sometimes, it may only be around $100-$150. But keep an eye on the prices. When it gets closer to final payment, the price of OVs may drop, and you may be able to upgrade for not much more or for less than what you're paying now. For my upcoming Dream cruise, we had booked the cheapest 3-person interior last December, and now the 3-person OVs are cheaper than that interior price we originally booked. It could definitely happen.

For the better ports & the less crowded ship, I am glad you chose Liberty. It sounds like the right choice for you. Your daughter will love the 2 pools around the main lido deck area, and if she's tall enough by then, she will love that waterslide. Some kids (and big kids like me) will ride it dozens of times every day.

Edited by k2excursion

• 3 months later...

This was just the post I was looking for. We also are deciding between liberty and sunshine. Also have a five year old who tends to kick daddy out of bed. We are leaning towards liberty as last three cruises have been western and so is sunshine going western the week we are looking for