Recommendations for Tulum tour

mickev99

We are doing a large family trip, and Cozumel is one of the stops. My brother wants to see Tulum, can anyone recommend a tour company that offers this? I know it's pretty far away from Cozumel, but the ruins that are close aren't as large as Tulum. Thanks!!

I would only do this tour through the cruise-line. The trip involves a cab/shuttle from the ship to the ferry terminal, a 45+ minute (and often rough:eek: ferry ride to Playa del Carmen), a bus ride to the ruins, tour, maybe some beach time, and then repeat all the steps to get back to your ship in Coz.

There are too many opportunities for something to go wrong that could cause you to miss the ship for me to do this trip with an independent operator. The ship tour will guarantee that the ship will not leave without you! Good luck! :)

Ditto above and can't stress this enough. It is a ways away, and things happen unexpectantly there like they do here, no way would I do it without thru the cruise line..Tulum has a beautiful beach just beyond the ruins, nice!

We were talked out of this excursion by fellow cruisers.

They told us it was too much travel time.

Taking the boat to the mainland

Getting on a bus

Finally getting to ruins

Getting back on bus

Going on the boat back to the pier

Not enough time to enjoy the beauty.

Also if the waters are rough, you could get sea sick getting back.

Realy think about it.

Sea Ya

pile on . . .

when we did this tour - which altho LONG bus ride - we did enjoy. When we got back to the ferry landing to go back to Coz' there was a long line of folks waiting to board.

The tour boarded immediately and ahead of all those folks waiting ... if we'd had to get in line with everyone else I don't believe we would have made the ferry and might have had to wait for the next one.

As mentioned time is kinda tight on this tour.

tulum2.jpg

Tulum tour guide

tulum1.jpg

tulum9beach.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Tulum is nice to see, but if you ever have a chance to do a land vacation in the Riviera Maya - do it then. That is when my daughter & I did it, and it was a nice relaxing day to see the ruins.

As others have said, I would NOT do this excursion on a cruise unless it was ship sponsored. Way, way to many variables to make you late. Last year, in September when we were on the Magic, the ship did not sail away when we were supposed to, and we discovered it was because the ferry w/a load of passengers from the mainland was late getting back. We saw the ferry coming in w/all the passengers, and then their hurry-up to the ship. I'm sure it was a Carnival excursion, or the ship would not have waited.

Tulum is nice to see, but if you ever have a chance to do a land vacation in the Riviera Maya - do it then. That is when my daughter & I did it, and it was a nice relaxing day to see the ruins.

I agree. Plus, just south of the ruins there are some great beaches with laid back beach clubs, bars and restaurants. Great place to spend a day, but could not imagine factoring in transportation back to Cozumel in time to board a ship.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice, maybe that's why NCL doesn't offer the excursion through them. I will let him know!

NCL does offer this excursion. If you don't see it listed for your itinerary, it may be sold out or you may not be in port long enough to take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I did this tour in Feb through NCL. It was fantastic. Yes the ferry ride is long, i guess we got lucky since the water was like glass both there and back. Yes the bus ride is long but you do get a bit of history and info from the tour guide.

I loved the whole thing. i did wish we had more time there but hey its far from the port.

Dont let people talk you out of it. Its a great tour. But do it through the cruise line since its a long day and you dont want to chance being left behind by the ship.

We are looking at doing this excursion on our Grandeur cruise in March. What type of walking surface do you have in the ruins area. I know going to the beach can be a bit tricky if you issues walking on rough terrain. Would you recommend this tour to a person who can walk but not real fast and does much better on level surfaces? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking at doing this excursion on our Grandeur cruise in March. What type of walking surface do you have in the ruins area. I know going to the beach can be a bit tricky if you issues walking on rough terrain. Would you recommend this tour to a person who can walk but not real fast and does much better on level surfaces? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have mobility issues you can get a ride to the entrance on a tram, once there there are no large hills. Lots of pressed gravel surface to walk on. The beach is down a long flight of stairs that were literally PACKED when we went to we skipped the beach.

I would recommend everyone do this at least once. It really was that amazing. I am thinking of doing it again next month actually.

What everyone else said is true. Long day, only do it with ship's tour, etc. We did it a few years ago and it's interesting. However, we got caught in a downpour out in the open with no place for shelter. We were all soaked and looked like drown rats. Next time I take a long tour like that, I'll have a plastic rain poncho with me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing into Coz in December on the Carnival Legend, and of course are interested in the Tulum excursion. Will probably book with the ship d/t all the fear of not getting back on the ship in time, but would sure like to book an indep. tour with the Mayan descendents (Best Buy Tours) group. It is really too bad the cruiselines win out with their overpriced excursions. It just makes me mad :(

We are sailing into Coz in December on the Carnival Legend, and of course are interested in the Tulum excursion. Will probably book with the ship d/t all the fear of not getting back on the ship in time, but would sure like to book an indep. tour with the Mayan descendents (Best Buy Tours) group. It is really too bad the cruiselines win out with their overpriced excursions. It just makes me mad :(

I just realized you're doing exotic western. The ruins in Belize are so much better and you can arrange private there easier. Tulum was very disappointing to us, you can't climb there.

We have seen the Mayan ruins in Belize and Tulum. Both are fantastic and very different from each other. Both are worth your time. If you can see both, do it.

We booked our excursions through the cruise line just to be on the safe side. They are very long days but well worth it. The ferry ride was long but smooth on the day we were there, both going and coming back.

Perhaps seeing pictures will help you decide. Links to my wife's slideshows are below. She took some great pictures on our excursions.

Edited by JimAOk1945

• 1 year later...

Can someone who has been on a Carnival ship excursion to Tulum, answer a question for me? Does the ferry pick you up FROM THE SHIP, like a tender boat does, or do you have to take a cab to the area to catch the ferry over to the mainland/ Playa del Carmen? Thanks for any help.

We are scheduled to be in Cozumel from 11 AM until 8 PM on November 3rd. We are booked for the Tulum tour, but I am having second thoughts about it with it coming back in the dark. Is it safe? The sun is scheduled to set at 7:02 PM.

We are scheduled to be in Cozumel from 11 AM until 8 PM on November 3rd. We are booked for the Tulum tour, but I am having second thoughts about it with it coming back in the dark. Is it safe? The sun is scheduled to set at 7:02 PM.

Are you booked with a cruise line sponsored tour? If so, you should be safe.

Are you booked with a cruise line sponsored tour? If so, you should be safe.

We are booked through the cruise line. Did realize that we should actually be back before dark too after I looked up the sunset times. Thanks for the response!